Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

dur posted:

4. My wife or I keep our employer plans, and also get an individual plan with the baby, maybe with a higher deductible to keep the cost down. I have no idea if this is even possible.

I feel like the costs for everything except maybe option 1 are just obscenely high. Is there anything I'm missing here? Should we just seek asylum in a country with a functioning health care system?

Wow those are awful premiums. Option 4 is possible and it's what I'd recommend. I forget what the costs were but I remember when I looked for an individual plan for my kid it wasn't unreasonable. The premiums they're asking for are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

dur posted:

It wouldn't be an individual plan just for the kid - that's not even possible to buy here in MN. It would be a plan for myself and the kid, meaning I'd have double coverage. That seems like something that could cause a lot of issues - like each insurer saying "no, the other insurer should cover that" - if I ever need anything.

Sorry, you're right--it was a while ago and I misspoke. Depending on your demographic and medical history it still might be significantly less than just adding your kid to one of your employer-provided plans, but the double coverage thing could be tricky. If you decide to do that check each plan description for the section on "Coordination of Benefits" and if you still have questions, ask the customer service line(s) how to resolve which plan is Primary or Secondary.