Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Gold and a Pager posted:

What's the consensus on car insurance for a rental car? I'm flying into LA for six days to visit a friend, but I don't own a car (and thus don't already have car insurance). He's going to have to work some of the days I'm there so I figured I'd rent a car to get around. I was looking and it looks like in California, a "Collision Damage Waiver" is pretty standard so if I end up doing minor damage to the car, that's covered. Am I right in thinking that if I get into a wreck, I'd be hosed unless I bought the extra $9-14 a day extended protection?

Would it be grossly irresponsible of me to not get insurance or is that something I would be OK without since I probably won't get into a wreck with 6 days of city driving?

Absolutely get the CDW. If you don't carry insurance you could be completely hosed in the event of a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Gold and a Pager posted:

Yeah, I would definitely get insurance that protects me if car is damaged or stolen (at least one rental place I looked at had it included in the normal rate) but would it also be necessary to get the insurance that covers third party injury/property damage?

Yes. They probably won't even rent to you if you don't carry liability coverage.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Did you request the estimate or did he come to you?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
If you have nice or expensive things (like a house) getting an umbrella policy is a good idea.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Tojai posted:

My car got damaged in a hailstorm, and I made an appointment for an adjustor to come see it. The first time he came out, I wasn't home but my car was there, and he left a note saying he wanted to see the interior because it will be a total loss.

The question I have is basically should I let them total the car? The damage (in my inexpert opinion) is purely cosmetic, and since my car is pretty old (2006) I'm not sure how much they'd even total it for. It's well-maintained and reliable, and my concern is that I wouldn't be able to find another car like that. On the other hand it is ugly and a gas-guzzler.

Just because they declare the car a total loss doesn't mean they automatically take it from you. They should give you a "buy back" offer, basically deducting a salvage value from the vehicles overall value. You get a lower payment and keep your car. You can keep driving it with the hail dents or look in to paintless dent repair. Most of them may even pop out once the weather warms up.

quote:

My second question is regarding what I told the claims person. There was some flash flooding after the storm, and I drove my car through some pretty high water (stupid, I know). Not high enough to come in the car, but it came up almost to the doors. Should I be concerned that this is something they'd hold against me in the future if I kept my car and needed to make another claim?
If there is damage from flooding you would need to file a seperate claim. They might treat the hail damage as "prior" to the flood loss and make a deduction from the second settlement. It's already a total at that point so it might not amount to much.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Jovial cynic is an agent in California.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
CSL can be a nightmare and doesn't cover as much as you would think. As a future doctor you know how expensive bodily injuries are. My experience with it is in New Jersey the offers 5K CSL so I might be biased.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Csixtyfour posted:

Accident question.
Five way intersection, wife was 90% through intersection, car at other stop sign proceeds to go and turn in front of her. Collision happens, police show up, issue citation to other driver for failure to yield. No citation to wife, other drivers insurance is refusing to pay anything over %50 of damages. Car in question is a 2004 cavalier, adjuster said $3200 in damages(car is a loss), there insurance is offering 50% of that. Is it worth fighting this? This is in Ohio.

With just what you've posted that liability sounds like horseshit. Ask for a full explanation and make sure they've seen the police report. If you have collision on your own policy use that; let you carrier fight it in arbitration. Better to be out your deductible than 50%.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Csixtyfour posted:

See above, just had liability on the car. Our insurance agent is being very nice, but being very quiet about what we should do.

Sorry, I missed that.

quote:

They said "With out a witness, we can not determine liability on a police report and pictures alone". Our insurance agent per my wife "Let out a long sigh, upon telling him who insured the other driver"

Which is crap because they were able to determine liability 50/50. Out of professional curiosity did they use the phrase "word versus word"? As far as options go, unless your wife is making a bodily injury claim an attorney probably won't take your case, no money in property damage that small. Your other option is to make a Department of Insurance complaint about their claim handling and investigations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
And holy poo poo state minimum liability limits are low. When I learn California goes as low as $3K for property damage I drat near fell out of my seat.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FCKGW posted:

Just to follow up, my coverage comes with underinsured motorist standard so I'm OK on that front.
As far as recovering personal charges of $500 for car rental, busted car seat and trailer hitch from this underinsured motorist, look like I'm either going to take the $150 pro-rated refund or try and sue for the full $500, which isn't worth my time.

As far as the car seat goes let your carrier know about the damage. They should pay to replace it under your collision coverage, it's state law.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I don't think California recognizes loss of use on UMPD claims but his carrier may be different. It's worth asking.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So three weeks late on a loss report isn't remotely eyebrow raising for a claims adjuster so don't worry about that. Call your adjuster back and let them know you were nervous and confused some details, you are at fault either way, that way if the other driver does call in a claim it doesn't generate a second claim and any investigation. Give them the correct date of loss and location so the claim can be handled correctly.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jastiger posted:

Hmmm. Well it sounds like its a wash then. If you feel comfortable doing it, do it. If not, don't lol.

I hate to be glib but that sounds like the best advice i can give. I will say that if everyone in the US had one of these, everyone's rates would decrease, but thats a pipe dream:(

Except for all the uninsured motorists since they aren't paying poo poo to begin with.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It depends on what state you are from and what coverages you carry on your own policy. Do you have comp and collision?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jastiger posted:

You give the insurance company reason to deny claim because they specifically asked and you're driving. They could consider that misrepresentation and not cover you. LIKELY if you have a good company, they are going to take care of you. As far as your friend though, he'd be screwed because he misrepresented the contract, allowed you to drive and could be on the hook for fees, penalties, etc.

Well I think there's two things here. If they purchase insurance thru the rental company and don't list him that could be ground for a denial but he's asking about his personal auto policy. His personal carrier shouldn't care if he was listed on the rental contract since they're a third party. You could maybe argue he wasn't "in legal possession of the vehicle" but I don't think that would hold up. It definitely worth calling your agent though.

EugeneJ posted:

NY and yes I have comp and collision
Thanks guys

NY regulations require that insurers pay for the rental car under your liability coverage. Still make that phone call.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 24, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Michigan is a shitshow in general. One of my old teammates just inherited a claim from 1979 thats still going. Anyone i know that handles Michigan has a thousand yard stare.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
That sucks about the cards. The tow company should make you whole. Shoveling debris in the back seat like that is way up there on stupid poo poo I've seen. If they give you any pushback contact DMV or whoever regulates tow yards in your state.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

potatoducks posted:

I am leaving my current job for a new job that starts within 30 days. From what I understand, I don't have to pay for COBRA right away. However, if I end up getting hit by a car or something during the in between days, then I (or my wife if I am unable) can then apply for retroactive COBRA coverage. Is that correct?

Read that as "leaving my current job for COBRA". Thanks for the much needed laugh.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Avocados posted:

Question about my current auto insurance, thinking of jumping ship to Geico, from Titan insurance.

ASL(:heysexy:): M/24/California

Driving since 18. I drive a reliable yet visually crappy 2002 Toyota Corolla. No accident history. 10k miles a year average, although I moved to a really small college town and commute (if that) is just 2 miles to work/school. Current price is $40/month with good driver discount, student discount, non-smoker, so-on. It covers bodily injury liability, $15k each person, 30k each accident. Property damage is 5k each accident. I got this insurance maybe 4 years ago when money was tight and I needed the bare minimum to legally drive. No specific reason for jumping ship, just the fact that the customer service is kinda meh at best, and I have to call to really do anything since the online interface is perpetually busted.

Anywho, Geico quoted me $54 for body injury liability for 500k, uninsured/underinsured motorist for 500k per person, 500k per accident, property damage liability for 100k, and uninsured motorist property damage for 3.5k. $14 more a month seems nice for what I'm getting. But also, I have no idea whats decent/garbage in the world of insurance. I just figured insurance was far more expensive in general? Back when everyone was getting cars in high school, insurance was hundreds of dollars.

Also, ticket question: Do I need to disclose resolved fix-it tickets (I have one), and a moving violation (which I also have) which was paid and masked because I took driving school? I got a quote from State Farm last night, but they asked explicitly if I had a moving violation, even if I took a driving school course to resolve it. It's none of anyones business right?

Those are good coverages other than the uninsured motorist property damage limit. I would suggest raising it to at least 10K. Anything less than twice the state minimum is a waste. Also check on rental coverage; it's usually cheap and can save your butt.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It would be considered a collision claim. Since you're not at fault there shouldn't be any impact on your rates but GEICO would be better able to answer that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
No UMPD in NY.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
In most states you can ask for "loss of use" in lieu of getting a rental car and they should have no problem cashing you out. If you are not going to repair keep in mind that if the vehicle is somewhere that's charging storage you'll want to make that decision quickly.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Maybe they are rating it as increasing the risk of fire? Let us know if you find out why.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Yup, a new car can be cheaper to insure just on the improved safety to yourself and others. Cars are cheap, people aren't.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Three-Phase posted:

I am looking at buying an AWD hybrid vehicle - a major caveat is that towing the vehicle without a flatbed or a dolly can cause serious damage to the hybrid system, I'm talking over $5k to fix.

Am I correct that this would be covered under "comprehensive" insurance, and would apply even if the towing was due to a claim of illegal parking?

(Awhile back I did confirm that if my car was on a ferry, and the ferry sank and my car ended up at the bottom of Lake Erie, the car would be totaled and covered under comprehensive.)

Barring some other intervening factor the tow truck causing damage should be treated as comprehensive. Fun fact about sunken cars, the insurance company needs to retrieve it if possible and it's hella expensive. Thanks ice fisherman that driver their trucks out on the lake. :v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It's for environmental reasons and since the sunken car will be the property of the insurance company it's their responsibility. Every year a few cars, trucks or snow mobiles end up in the deep part of lake; it's a huge pain in the butt and expensive.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
You will need to contact the other insurance. It's your property so without collision coverage they don't have a legal right to present a claim on your behalf. Still send your insurance all your photos.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Both. See if the tow company is willing to own up but if not could be handled as Comp or Collision depending on your carrier then they will try to go after the tow company. Also check to see if they are an approved vendor for your municipality; some places you can make a complaint which they have to address or risk being taken off the list.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

potatoducks posted:

Update to the story. I took my car to the body shop of my choosing. Their insurance company has accepted 100% liability and are paying for repairs and rental. They are sending their adjuster to the body shop tomorrow to look it over and then I assume I will authorize them to get my car fixed. The guy at the body shop today estimated 2 weeks and 8-9k. Even after I get fixed up, that's going to significantly decrease the value of my car when I go sell it right? Do I get reimbursed for that in any way? Or is it typically just "tough luck".

Assuming you don't live in Georgia the burden of proof for diminished value is on you as the vehicle owner. How you do that is up to you, but good luck. Glad to hear everything else worked out.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Glad to hear you're okay. Best thing to do is have your paperwork handy. Title, lien, receipts, etc. That'll make the settlement process faster.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
You may not be able to get a rental car. Demand is going to be way higher than supply, that's what happened during Sandy. Hell, Dallas ran out of rental cars last year when they had the big hail storms. May be worthwhile to make the reservation now if you can.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Valuation for a total loss is dictated by the state. Most of the time its NADA or Red Book. To the best of my knowledge no state uses KBB.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Maybe, depends on the company. An agent might be able to run the numbers.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hey, this is exactly what I was about to be asking about. Would my agent be able to help guide me through this process, or is she more likely to side with the insurance company? I feel like I'm being lowballed slightly, but that's primarily because my car is a little rare (not super rare, it's a specific trim model of a Mazda 3) and I don't want to leave money on the table.
Depends a lot on the agent and the competence level of the staff. They can provide advice and maybe be an advocate with you with the claims department. Or they could know nothing about the claims process.

quote:

Looking online, there is only 1 of the same year/model within 100 miles that I can find and it has roughly 60% more miles on it. The and the asking price is almost exactly what they're asking, even though the insurance company is including taxes and registration fee (so really, they're asking more once you factor that in). That's also with no photos, and it seems to be one of those (potentially) shady buy here/pay here lots.

The total loss handler should provide you with an explanation of how they came up with the figures. Look over the vehicles they used, bring any serious defects or discrepancies to their attention. Call the sellers and ask about the condition to confirm they are in fact comparable. If not they should expand their search and look at other similar y/m/m for sale.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Shooting Blanks posted:

Update: They used an outside agency (no surprise) who looked at previous sales in my state to come up with the figure. The problem with this is, they have no idea how old those sales were, and as of yesterday there is literally one comparable vehicle that I can find in the entire nation (at a higher price than they're offering), in terms of y/m/m and mileage (and I actually can't find one of the same y/m/m in my state for sale at all).

I haven't asked for a specific figure, so far I've only sent them a link to the single comparable vehicle I can find just to show that their offer is low. It's also halfway across the country. How hard can I realistically press on this? The odds of finding even the same y/m/m in my state are effectively nil, much less mileage. I don't expect them to double their offer by any means, but I also have no reason to make their life easy.
At that point you get in to reasonableness. Would any reasonable person go halfway across the country for the "exact" same car and would THEY pay a significantly higher price. Think about the same situation and your engine exploded; no insurance company involved. Would YOU be willing to pay out of pocket that much more and drive ALL that way or would YOU pay less and accept something not exactly the same closer to home. That's the counter argument your adjuster may use in negotiating.

quote:

I can give more details via PM if that would help and you're OK taking a few minutes.
Note, I'm not trying to discourage you. Shoot me a PM with the y/m/m, mileage of your vehicle and what state this is all taking place in. Please do not mention the insurance company involved. If it's the one I work for it would be an ethical issue.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Yes, file a claim. It will let your carrier do a timely investigation and defend you against any claims.

Also your policy likely has a clause requiring you advise them about any accidental you're involved in.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 7, 2019

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

redsniper posted:

Are all car insurance companies equally bad?
My premium to renew with Progressive went up for no reason and I'm looking for sage goon recommendations. In Texas btw.

Everyone is Texas is probably going to have their rates go up in the next year or so. You can thank the auto dealers lobby and the legislature.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Hed posted:

I would love to have more background on this

Texas HB 3420

https://www.iiat.org/advocacy/governmental-affairs/legislative-issues

quote:

Some companies have amended their personal auto policies to make the PAP excess coverage over any other insurance. Auto dealers are often required by the manufacturers to provide loaner cars and their policies are excess policies. When this occurs, the consumer is stuck between the dealer and their own policy, both denying coverage. This bill would require PAP to provide primary liability insurance for temporary vehicle.

That second to last line is misleading. Basically the auto dealers don't want to use the insurance on their loaner fleet and pushed this legislation to make all the carriers handle damages under liability. This means no deductible so no skin in the game for them or the customer*. I don't know for certain but I think this will lead to more claim expenses and carriers will raise rates. I hope the people of Texas enjoy paying more so that dealerships can make more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It really depends on the language in your policy and what you are doing with the car at the time. Talk to your agent and grill them real good, have them call someone at claims if needed.