Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011
Trying to help a friend out:
What options are there for an uninsured 26 YO female who was told she needs surgery ASAP both by the ER and a GYN? The hospital won't even do anything until she has about 4500 in cash of about 7000 total. Her income is about 1900 a month, and normally she breaks even after bills, etc. Cutting everything possible out from her budget would leave about $200, maybe $300 a month after bills/students loans/etc. That's assuming she is able to keep working, but from the pain she's been laying the floor crying/puking for several hours twice the last week. As far as I know, no credit at all either. She's from AL, and has no assets besides a car that has another 5 years of payments on. There's not much at all she could sell to try to get anywhere close. She also doesn't really know anyone financially stable enough to even borrow anything close to that type of money, even combined with selling anything possible.

Edit: neither workplace offers any type of insurance whatsoever.

Goontastic fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

If the condition is life threatening, go to an ER, they will operate no matter what. Otherwise I'd say seek out some kind of charity care program at the (any) hospital.

It's not life threatening, but excruciating from what she's said and I've read about. Morphine alone wasn't even doing anything at all to it. Our mutual friend said she was almost begging for a knife at one point so she could cut it out because of how bad it felt.

And that's the best price so far she's found. That's the cash price (vs insurance) with about another 30% knocked off because of her income.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

If she can't afford insurance and the hospital won't budge, she needs to either hit up Medicaid, a place like Planned Parenthood if it involves GYN stuff, or a charity place.

Cutting all non-essentials, she probably could. But there's the whole pre-existing thing that a lot of places have until January. I tried finding insurance that included that, but it looks like it's no longer offered. Looking for charity services and I'm not really finding anything for our area.

She makes almost double the Medicaid cutoff, and no one has mentioned Planned Parenthood to her before so she's checking into that tomorrow.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

Sperg Victorious posted:

You generally need to go to a university hospital or a religiously affiliated hospital. Some private hospitals will also have something. You'll have to call up and ask for any hospital. Unfortunately, they typically only assess your eligibility for charity care once you've been billed. They'll also help you get on disability/medicaid before they start writing off your bills.

The one she says has worked with her the most is religiously affiliated, I'll tell her to hit up the university hospital as well.

Forgot to say on this part:

Jastiger posted:

...a place like Planned Parenthood if it involves GYN stuff...

It's cysts, so it should under the GYN stuff. She said that both the ER doctor and the GYN doctor the next day said basically only pregnancy things would be considered an "emergency" to the hospital, not having 5 cysts that cover about 18cm.