Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Canadian house insurance question: I bought a house that turned out to be a lemon. A leaking roof and a buckling foundation that is seeping is going to cost me a stupid amount of money to fix. I called my insurance provider but it turns out the three things my policy doesn't cover are roof repairs, foundation repairs, or water damage from an external source. Is it worth it for me to find another provider that will cover these things (does anyone cover these things?) and if I do is it going to set off alarm bells when I make some claims right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty screwed with the prior owners; I'm not sure if this is Canada wide or just my province, but we are required to get a home inspection prior to purchasing a house. This takes any liability off the seller, but my home inspector had me sign a liability waiver when he submitted the inspection report. I later found out that home inspectors are not regulated or licensed and my problem seems to be fairly common among my peers.

A quick bit of Google research shows me that no one in Canada offers flood insurance for some reason. Time to take out the second mortgage I guess.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Like I said, I had a home inspection done before purchasing, but the way home inspectors operate here is dumb. They aren't liable for anything they miss in their inspections, as well as most of the problems were hidden behind the finished walls in my basement. It was only after I noticed the initial leak under the floor boards and carpets that I had the walls torn up and the extent of the damage was noticed.