Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
How much do claims made by rental car companies for damage on a rental car effect your rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I'm mostly worried about if there is a scuff or debt on the car when it gets returned. Didn't know if that kind of thing has an appreciable affect on rates afterwards.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

The Locator posted:

Why is it that insurance companies will not give me a quote for coverage that is even remotely competitive with my current rates? It seems like at least one of the other big companies would be interested in my business and quote me into their preferred rates, but every time I try, I get a number that's anywhere from 50-80% higher than my current rates. It's strange.

I'm a 48 y.o. single male with a very clean driving record, 3 vehicles (yea, I'm that guy), and a house. I'm currently with State Farm Mutual insurance (I've been with them now for 20+ years), and they are fine, but I occasionally will get a couple competitive quotes to make sure I'm not getting hosed, and I never get anything even close.

I had a similar experience getting Commercial General Liability and Workmans Comp. I got a quote from an insurance agent that has worked with my family before and it was several thousand dollars less than any other agent I contacted. Other agents were quoting 6+K and already putting in exclusions. The guy I knew quoted $1,500 no problem. I didn't get it at all.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 11, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Powerlurker posted:

How does credit card rental coverage work if you have no primary auto coverage? My current insurer appears to cover rental vehicles, but my previous one would only cover a rental if it was a loaner while mine was in the shop.

On my amex, it'll pick up any damage to the rental car under a certain amount (I wanna say 125k). But there's no liability coverage.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I use the Amex Premium insurance. Only had to file 1 claim, but the rental agency didn't do anything with it. Only a scuffed bumper.

A lot of visa cards have similar programs, but there is usually a deductible and they're not always primary coverage.

But Gold and a Pager might have problems if he doesn't even have liability coverage, which the car rental agency will gladly provide. CDW and the credit card coverages will only cover damage done to the rental car, not to damage you do to other cars/property.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Goontastic posted:

Cutting all non-essentials, she probably could. But there's the whole pre-existing thing that a lot of places have until January. I tried finding insurance that included that, but it looks like it's no longer offered. Looking for charity services and I'm not really finding anything for our area.

She makes almost double the Medicaid cutoff, and no one has mentioned Planned Parenthood to her before so she's checking into that tomorrow.

You generally need to go to a university hospital or a religiously affiliated hospital. Some private hospitals will also have something. You'll have to call up and ask for any hospital. Unfortunately, they typically only assess your eligibility for charity care once you've been billed. They'll also help you get on disability/medicaid before they start writing off your bills.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
How difficult is it to change agents on a business and a work man's comp policy? I want to keep the carrier, just want to change agents. What's involved and how long does it usually take?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Are there any potential downsides? I feel a little hesitant because he got me a comparatively low rate and understood my business. When I shopped around at the very beginning, most agents didn't understand the business and carriers were giving me very high rates.

My agent is otherwise worthless, but he did get me in the door. I'm just a little worried that if I change agents, then it might affect my rates since I'll probably have an agent that doesn't understand the business as well.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Well, if you're just changing agents it shouldn't change anything on your policy unless you want them to. The only thing I'm hesitant on is if you're in a very specialized type of business that requires special credentials in order to sell and manage. Things like some types of bonds, medicare coverage, and specialized health plans come to mind.

Those are all things to take into consideration when changing agents. If he's worthless, but knows how it operates, maybe its worth keeping it around than gambling with someone new. I don't know the situation. But generally no, there should be no downsides apart from things out of your control like if an agent moves, a company changes, or personal reasons.

I don't have anything that specialized.

I do a kind of specialized inspection service, and other carriers/agents seemed a bit wary and gave me huge quotes. My current agent has at least a few other clients with a similar business, so he was able to explain the risks a lot better and got me better quotes. At least that's how I think it went down. No special coverage or bonds, etc though.

My main problem is that it can take over a week to get a certificate out. One client ended up calling his office himself to get the certificate. If I email him about a certificate on a Friday, I know it'll never get done. Typically, I can usually get one out after 2-3 days. It took over two weeks to get an increase in coverage. Just lots of stuff like this.

I'm about to add a policy for insuring my tools. I figure he can get me a decent price, but I'm still a little worried about jumping out of the skillet.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Quick question, on my tailored general liability I have hired and non-owned auto coverage. It's not listed on my certificate. I'm curious if that would normally be listed on my certificate since I'm paying for the coverage. Current agent is telling me that I need to make a special request for it to be listed on my certificate.

I am changing agents. Hoping for it to go through next week.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
What kind of factors go into renter's insurance rates?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
For renter's insurance, would my policy cover my roommates stuff as well? When I get a quote, I assume that they will ask if I'm living with anyone else. If I do have to add my roommate to the policy, does that drastically increase the price?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been pricing renter's insurance for the websites listed and State Farms is by far the cheapest and includes the default highest coverage for things like computers and such. For personal liability and medical payment coverage, I've been just putting down $100,000 and $1,000 cause I don't actually know what this means. It seems completely asinine that if I had someone over and they slipped and fell that I would be liable to pay for them. I thought that's what their health insurance was for. Actually I don't even understand why medical related stuff is tied into renter's insurance because I thought that's why we have health insurance.

Don't forget to get a certificate of insurance from your guests, just so you can make sure they actually have health insurance and are paying for levels you feel safe with.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
How often do free ance artists get liability insurance? What kind of limits do they typically get?

If you plan on taking on contracts, I'm guessing E&O would be a good idea?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You have models that will be in your studio/home. There was some concern about that. Also if the business was based in an apartment, renters insurance wouldn't cover the business side of things.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'm buying two homes. One of them I'll be living in, but the other will be occupied by my parents. Will I be able to get regular home owners insurance on the one that my parents will be living in? I plan on using State Farm.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Jastiger posted:

You'll want a landlord dwelling policy for the home you're not living in. Even though its your parents, they are still technically "tenants" since they don't own the location. I'm going to assume all the stuff inside isn't yours, its theirs, so they will want to have a renters policy, you're going to want to insure the home. The only way that'd be different is if you were actually living in that second location part time as a secondary home.

How do landlord dwelling policies compare in price to homeowners?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
My agent told me since its my parents, a regular homeowners policy will be ok. Is there anything I should ask or clarify with him? Kind of surprised.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I have 3 vehicles (one is a business vehicle with a business policy) and 2 homeowners policies. Currently with state farm, but I'm wanting to shop around a bit. My main worry is right now, my credit is kind of lovely due to high balances. Should I expect to get killed on rates? No tickets, no accidents in the last 7+ years.

Edit: Oh, Jastiger, last May I asked about the landlord dwelling policy since one of the homes my parents live in, but I do not. When I bought it, they said just do a regular homeowners policy.

During an insurance review they got pissy about it and were telling me I'd need to refinance, because it's not legit. Eventually they backed down and just wanted to do the landlord policy. But it still seemed lovely.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I have no problem with the landlord policy. I was just annoyed how much they told me I didn't need it, then doing a 180 and telling me to refinance. The whole thing was purchased and financed with it not even being owner occupied. I'd switch agents before I refinanced.