Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I got pregnant. This is so very unplanned.

Because ~sequester~, my husband's either going to lose his job or start taking pay cuts very soon. I have an internship for this summer, but it didn't come with insurance. I'm really worried about maternity being a 'preexisting condition'.

Is there any way we can switch to private insurance / do something [anything] to avoid being completely hosed if he loses his job before I pop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

The Jizzer posted:

1. In underwritten states (such as CA), pregnancy IS a pre-existing condition for both parents. It's treated as a health condition same as any other. Effective January 1st this will be a non-issue.

2. Be very careful about using the M-word around. There's very strict rules about an agent even talking about it.

3. To meanieface: If you have current coverage and are in an underwritten state (meaning individual health insurance CAN be declined) then by all means do NOT drop your coverage, unless you really do qualify for some sort of state assistance. Each state has a helpline to address this issue.

Okay. Well, the primary danger has passed and the base contract has been fully funded. He's not going to lose his job.

He's still looking for another job; we'd like to not live two hours apart, especially with the uterus enlargement. So if he does land a better job in the same city as me and our mortgage--what's the procedure? Do we go on Cobra for the month or so before the new insurance kicks in?

Thanks!