Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
For what it's worth, I worked at Geico through January of this year & we were actually required to push (as a retention tool when anyone called to cancel) the fact that some companies DO include a transfer/new customer discount which may fall off during the next policy term but Geico does not.

That doesn't mean they won't raise your rates in general, though. With auto the biggest increases you're likely to see for things that aren't directly related to you (tickets, accidents, etc) are overall increases in the cost of doing business in your state or zip code. This is usually justified by saying the cost for medical claims & car parts have increased or that there is a higher frequency of claims in your area. Any company will possibly do this, however. I know at the time that I left, we had just increased rates in a ton of states, mainly Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Gold and a Pager posted:

What's the consensus on car insurance for a rental car? I'm flying into LA for six days to visit a friend, but I don't own a car (and thus don't already have car insurance). He's going to have to work some of the days I'm there so I figured I'd rent a car to get around. I was looking and it looks like in California, a "Collision Damage Waiver" is pretty standard so if I end up doing minor damage to the car, that's covered. Am I right in thinking that if I get into a wreck, I'd be hosed unless I bought the extra $9-14 a day extended protection?

Would it be grossly irresponsible of me to not get insurance or is that something I would be OK without since I probably won't get into a wreck with 6 days of city driving?

You can also check with your credit card company, some offer their own CDW.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Perhaps this is a better question for the old AI car insurance thread, but anyways:

If your vehicle is damaged in a "it's the other guy's fault" accident, is there a reason to submit a third-party claim with his insurance instead of a first-party claim with your own (and have them go through subrogation)?

My car was hit while parked in a parking garage a couple of weeks ago, mostly just some rear bumper damage. I happened to be returning to my car at the time, so I witnessed the event and got the driver's insurance info and everything. Being happy with my own insurance's claims process, inspections, and recommended repair shops, I filed a claim with my insurance. The estimate came back at just a few dollars above my deductible, so I paid that out of pocket and my insurance picked up the change. Subrogation went well as they reimbursed my deductible yesterday.

So, is there a reason I might have wanted to file a third-party claim instead? Does it matter if the repair estimate ends up being below my deductible?

You would not have had to pay any deductible out of pocket/upfront/at alll.