Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

meanieface posted:

I got pregnant. This is so very unplanned.

Because ~sequester~, my husband's either going to lose his job or start taking pay cuts very soon. I have an internship for this summer, but it didn't come with insurance. I'm really worried about maternity being a 'preexisting condition'.

Is there any way we can switch to private insurance / do something [anything] to avoid being completely hosed if he loses his job before I pop?

I'm 99.9% sure that pregnancy can't be a pre-existing condition for health insurance, but I don't know what kind of advice to give about actual coverage...depending on income levels, perhaps a Medicaid program if it comes to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

skipdogg posted:

Find a local independent broker and have them compare quotes for you. They have access to dozens of insurance companies and can probably do better than the online guys. They cut my homeowners in half by having access to such a large pool of insurers.

Recommending this. We did this and the broker found a smaller company to do our insurance with, saved a bundle and their customer service when we have a claim is amazing

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
My wife did something similar, but with a light pole instead of another car, total cost was $1200ish (if you hear a loud scraping sound...just keep going, there are more body panels and doors to destroy, don't stop when it is just a fender). Our insurance went up close to 25% (from $600 to 750/6 months). That is for two cars, full coverage on both

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
Your insurance is a little more than what I pay for two cars...but your car is worth a little bit lot more than my two cars :v:

Car insurance is so dependent on location that it is hard to tell. FWIW, I googled for a list of most expensive places for car insurance at CT insurance is much more expensive than Virginia (on average) according to this site: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/03/14/most-expensive-cheapest-states-for-car-insurance/. It should skyrocket due to the accident, but probably will be higher for the regional factors.

Any chance you have a parent whose insurance you can join in on? My brother still does this at 33.

ntd fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 18, 2013