Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
I'm looking into life insurance and wanted to get some advice. I'm in Canada in case it matters. We recently bought a condo and are also having a baby in the fall. My wife works now and will continue to work after her maternity leave.

When deciding on an amount of insurance, I understand the standard calculations of how much debt you want to be able to cover, how much income you want to replace, etc. I want my life insurance to cover the mortgage and funeral stuff and possibly a bit of money for my wife to put into savings for her retirement and a university fund. I wouldn't need to replace any monthly income as long as the mortgage is covered.

The part that I'm confused about is what sort of term I should choose. The ideal package would be one that gives declining coverage over time (the length of the mortgage) so as my needs reduce, my coverage and cost also reduces. I don't see anything like that, so I figure taking out shorter term insurance (like 5 year) and then adjusting the amount at each renewal stage would create that effect. Am I missing something here like my rates will go up as I age and I really won't see any benefit in cost even if the coverage amount is reducing? Should I just get a 25 year term to match the mortgage?

Through work I have access to life insurance benefits. They seem reasonably priced, but I'm not sure of the risk here. I assume it's that if I lose my job a number of years from now I could find that I missed out on locking in a good rate while I was younger/healthier. Is that the only consideration?

When I applied for my mortgage, the bank offered mortgage insurance. The rate seemed crazy, like 2-3 times the estimates I'm finding for regular life insurance. Is mortgage insurance a bit of a scam or is it a good product?

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU