Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
I have a question about whole life insurance. How is cash value determined? If I'm not mistaken, they take a portion of your insurance premium and put it in a "savings account" where it earns interest, correct? Is the interest rate usually fixed or variable? One would think with current low interest rates it may make sense to opt for term until rates rise if they are fixed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

The Jizzer posted:

As a rule, the cash accumulation in whole life is at a fixed interest rate, but most whole life policies also return non-guaranteed dividends based on the carrier's profit, which can provide a significant boost in the actual return.

Thanks for confirming. To just concentrate on the interest rate aspect, I would assume that fixed rates adjust with the current interest rate market, correct? Are there people that took out whole life in the 70's with some ridiculous fixed rates out there?

ifuckedjesus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 23, 2013