Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ohwandernearer posted:

Can you tell me roughly what would happen if I got into an accident driving my girlfriend's car and I was at fault?

We are in the state of MD and this is something we were debating--no accidents have occurred.

We are both insured on our own cars respectively.

Insurance follows the car. So, if you were at fault, unless your girlfriend had not given you permission to use the vehicle (and she'd have to prove this), her insurance pays for the damage to the 3rd party. If she had collision coverage on her vehicle, then that would cover her repairs as well. You would be listed as the driver, but your own personal auto insurance would not come into play at all (unless for some reason the damages caused by you to the 3rd party are greater then the liability limits she has on her car. Then your insurance may get involved as well).

Always remember, liability coverage/insurance follows the car, so if you let some dumb friend of yours drive your vehicle and they get into an accident, it is your liability coverage that pays up.

(How do I know this? I used to work in auto insurance claims and we dealt with this all the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Didn't you have a home inspection or anything done prior to purchasing the house? How did they miss those problems?

And yeah, structural issues like that, resulting from poor maintenance and upkeep, are not what insurance is intended for-- much like auto insurance isn't there to pay for replacing your brakes when they wear out.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Jastiger posted:

What this mean is that your uninsured/underinsured coverage kicks in. It also means either you or the insurance company can most definitely go after her for any and all damages since both of them are liable for the damage since insurance has stepped away.

Also keep in mind that uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, in the vast majority of states, only covers injuries and does not cover damage to your property.

So, yes, it sucks and if you want to get your car fixed you may be out your deductible, but them's the breaks sometimes. If the person was actually using the vehicle without the owner's permission, find out who the driver was and pursue them and/or their insurance for the damages.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Weinertron posted:

Really? I thought that uninsured / underinsured effectively took the place of their liability insurance and would cover both medical and property damage to me. So if I get hit by someone uninsured and I have no collision, I am just screwed? I'm carrying liability, comprehensive, and underuinsured / uninsured on an older vehicle right now.

Learning this is making me question my Dad's wisdom of "I've never been at fault in 40 years of driving so I won't carry collision on a brand new car." He had just been starting to win me over after he hit a deer and it was covered under comprehensive.

Really. There are very few states that require property damage in their UM/UIM coverage requirements (called UMPD). UM/UIM are for injuries only. You need UMPD to have the damages to your vehicle covered.

So, yes, if you don't have collision coverage or UMPD coverage and someone without liability coverage hits you, your choices are to eat the costs or work out a deal with the at fault party to pay for your damages (or take them to small claims court).

A lot of times you have to specifically ask for UMPD, so if you are in a state that offers it, and you want the coverage, make sure to ask for it and make sure you didn't sign a form indicating you didn't want it. Here is a list of states that offer the coverage... http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/uninsured-motorist-damage-coverage.html

Edit: Comp coverage is really good to have. And I'd suggest carrying collision coverage if you would be hard pressed to replace your vehicle in the event you have an at fault accident (or in the event you have an accident where the other party denies fault). Once your insurance company pays for your damages, they then attempt to collection the damages from the at fault party, including your deductible. If you get into a dispute about who is at fault for something (which happens a lot), at least you would always have the option of having your insurance company pay for your repairs and then attempt to collect on your behalf. If you could easily pay for several thousand in repairs or a replacement vehicle in the event something happened to yours, then by all means skip collision.

sheri fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 20, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

dur posted:

1. She goes on an individual plan with her and the baby. A plan with the same insurer she has at work, with a $2000/4000 deductible, looks like it would run about $300/mo, so +$70 to our budget. She is adamant about not doing this because of pre-existing condition concerns, primarily the post-birth checkups and such not being covered. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but I think she's wrong here.

Your wife is probably correct here. Until 2014 (and it remains to see what happens then), insurers can still deny claims for adults with pre-existing conditions for insurance policies purchased on the individual market. This could be waived if she gets some sort of certificate from her current insurance that says she was covered for XX amount of months/years/whatever prior to purchasing the individual coverage-- I forget what they call that but you might want to look into that.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

celestial teapot posted:

I'm a 29 year old male. I'm healthy and a non-smoker. My parents cosigned on about $15,000 of student loan debt that is still outstanding, and I want them to be protected if I'm unable to pay it back. What do you think my prospects are for finding a term life insurance policy with a very low value? I run my insurance through USAA :quagmire: but the minimum value they are offering in life insurance is $100k, which is more than I need by a lot. I just want something that will pay out <$50k with a term of 10-15 years and is dirt cheap.

For less than 50K and a 15 year term, you should be able to get something pretty cheap. Google something like term life insurance quotes and you should find some sites that will quote several companies for you. I did this about a year ago and it worked pretty well-- contact the companies who's quotes I liked. (I ended up going with Prudential-- they were one of the cheaper ones, coverage is great, and the underwriting process went pretty smoothly).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Capslock Holmes posted:

My wife swapped paint with a parked car in the parking lot at work yesterday. The person she hit took their car in already, the 'rough' estimate is $800, our honda will probably be similar. She's been on my policy since december/january. I haven't had a claim other than a mystery cracked windshield on the same car a couple months ago since 2009 when I switched from my parents' policy with State Farm in another state. We're with State Farm here and have 3 (about to be 2 hopefully) vehicles, renters, and an articles policy on a laptop with them. Are my rates going to shoot up because of this?

The general rule of thumb is that an at fault accident will increase your rates come renewal time-- or cause you to lose any no accident discounts you have. The net result is a higher premium whether they raise your rate or remove the discount or whatever. It might not be a lot, but it probably will increase.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And UM/UIM often covers things like lost wages in case you are injured and out of work for some time which your comp and collision coverages do not. In most states, UM/UIM only applies to injuries. You need UMPD insurance to have your vehicle covered under uninsured motorist coverage, and only some states offer this.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Thuel posted:

What are some good rules of thumb for when you should and shouldn't file a claim for damage? There seems to be a huge aversion to actually using insurance unless it's for larger claims in fear rates will rise, but will they have a drastic enough impact to make it worth paying $1-$1000 claims out of pocket instead?

I have a vespa scooter in addition to my car that regularly gets vandalism damage in the city and always ends up being around $500. Each time there's a big debate if I should file a claim or just deal with the damage...

Well, what's your deductible? You have to pay that for each claim.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is there any reason we should be getting life insurance for a baby? I'm getting tons of poo poo in the mail about it and I'm not seeing the need...

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If you have collision coverage just have your insurance fix it and they'll fight it out with the other company. Chances are both companies are members of intercompany arbitration and they'll each present their case and the arbitrators will make a binding decision.

I used to work in claims and have my own list of sigh inducing companies. Which one are you fighting with?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Depends entirely on the company and how much time of your life you are willing to spend discussing with the claim rep

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I used to work in claims. God help anyone that damages a rental car and didn't get the damage waiver or have some insurance that covers damages to the rental car.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A lot of time the credit card you use to rent it might provide some coverage as well

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

As someone who used to work in claims....don't work in claims. All you deal with all day are pissed off people.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It kinda does though. They owe you the equivalent of a 10 year old pool heater. They don't owe you a brand new pool heater. Liability insurance is required to replace the value of whatever was damaged or destroyed, not replace a 10 year old part with a brand new one.

It may be worthwhile, if you have replacement cost coverage on your homeowners insurance, to pursue through them and let them subrogate for the damages.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I got a SUPER hard sell about an extended warranty on a (used) 2017 CRV that I just purchased today with a whole lot of "but all those electronics don't you want peace of mind" and blah blah blah blah that the sales guy was throwing at me.

I kept saying no but now I'm wondering if I was dumb.

Are they just dealer gimmicks? (Which is what I always thought).

We didn't buy an extended warranty with my previous car or my husband's current car. Now I'm doubting myself for not going with it :-/

sheri fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2018

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's not just "a bit" more either.

Whole life is bad for the vast cast majority of people.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Insurance companies raise their base rates all the time based on the overall losses that everyone they insure has and other economic conditions. You could be a perfect driver with perfect credit but if they file an overall rate increase in your state everyone's rates go up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's a way simplified explanation but your premium isn't solely based on your driving and claim history.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's not how it works at all.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hello i used to handle claims (in all states) and never once did I put any fault on a driver that was stopped at a light and hit from behind and pushed into another car by the force of the impact.

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 8, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It doesn't matter if they stopped for nothing. You still have to be able to stop in time to not hit the person in front of you.
If I were your claim rep I'd tell you it's 100% your fault regardless if they stopped for another car, a dog, or nothing at all.
I handled auto claims for a few years.

Whether or not you got a ticket wouldn't change my mind. You still rear ended a stopped or slowing car.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I wouldn't sign anything over until we came to an agreed upon payout.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah if it happened just before Christmas that's not a long time in insurance land.

Just relax and let your insurance company handle it. Check in with them every month if you want to know where they are at.

I used to work in claims for an insurance company. Sending it to subro does not mean the other party has accepted liability. What it does mean is now your insurance company is going to argue with them in order to try to get them to accept liability.

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 31, 2020

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Why are you coming to the US man?
Look at what's happening. We are incompetent.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

I told Progressive this and asked them if I get to see what, exactly, they provide to the appraiser. They have not yet responded. One of my claims adjuster's tactics seems to be to ignore me all week long and then call me at 4:15 PM on Friday so I have a maximum of 45 minutes to yell at him.

I used to work in claims. If you are actually yelling at them I’m not surprised they aren’t willing to work with you. I never did anything more than the bare minimum required by my employer for people who were jerks to me.

And a lot of the time the people that set the value and give the adjuster the ok to pay x amount are not the same person you are talking to. Ask to talk to someone with the authority level to approve a $50k reserve/payment.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It seems pretty clear to me that the engineer they sent out determined the problem was caused by structural movement/settlement and therefore not a covered loss.

“Structural movement. We do not cover any loss to additions and alterations of your rental unit
caused by the settling, cracking, shrinking, bulging, or expansion of bulkheads, pavements, patios,landings, steps, footings, foundations, walls, floors, roofs, or ceilings except loss to glass that is part of a building, storm door, or storm window.”

That’s the exclusion you quoted...they aren’t covering the loss because it’s specifically excluded from your policy.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Doesn't your health insurance already cover that type of stuff?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also at least some of the time in the hospital after birth is going to be "billed" to the baby as well so you'll also have his/her deducible in addition to your wifes.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, but retirement accounts are generally protected from stuff like that.

Nope! Not for Medicaid!

"In most states, a Medicaid applicant’s pension, 401K, IRA, or other retirement account will either be considered as an asset or as income. If it is an asset, it will count against Medicaid’s asset limit for eligibility. If it is in payout status, and therefore generating income, it is considered as income and will be counted against Medicaid’s income limit for eligibility. Simply counting against Medicaid’s income or asset limits does not automatically mean the candidate will be ineligible. Unfortunately, most of the time this is the case because the income and asset limits for Medicaid eligibility are so low."

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I mean, you don't *have* to spend it but if you don't spend it then you are over the limits of either income or assets for being eligible for Medicaid so... It's really a lovely situation to put someone in.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have the other party's license plate or insurance information? (Did they stop?)

If the rocks were kicked up from the road it's considered a road hazard and the car kicking them up isn't at fault.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah that's probably going to be considered a flood.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, you need a person's consent to take out a life insurance policy on them in almost all situations. It would be impossible without his cooperation.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If the box truck that started the whole chain reaction of the accident doesn't have insurance, then it's probably going to end with her insurance paying for the damages less the $1,000 deductible. Her insurance may try going after the owner of the box truck or the driver but if it's registered in Mexico it's probably going to be a fruitless ordeal.

Edit: thinking back to my claim handling days I'm pretty sure drivers in Arizona can't even purchase uninsured motorists for property damage coverage (UMPD) so even if she had uninsured/ underinsured coverage it only would have covered any injuries she sustained, not damage to her car.

sheri fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2022

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Cacafuego posted:

Couldn’t her insurance go after the person sandwiched in the middle who rear ended her, who was fully insured?

I only ask because yesterday I had a defensive driver training class and the instructor pointed out that the middle person right up on the bumper of the person first in line would be “buying that car” if the middle person was rear ended and didn’t leave enough space between them and the first car and ended up hitting the first car. This situation sounds exactly like the one he was explaining to me and it sounds like sheri’s response doesn’t mention the middle car at all.

No.

I mean, in theory they absolutely could try but it wouldn't get anywhere.

I worked as a claims adjuster for several years and have handled the scenario more times than I can count and the people in the middle that get crammed into everyone are not at fault at all.

People that teach defensive driving classes generally don't have any idea how legalities and insurance claim processes and whatnot actually work.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And if someone plows into you going super fast you are going to need a lot more space in front then if someone hits you going 10mph.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

dxt posted:

I'm getting married in a few months, my job offers free insurance to employees and family members, but charges $100/months if your spouse has a job that offers them insurance. Can I just lie about this? How would they find out otherwise?

They probably wouldn't find out, but there's a chance they could do random audits. And lying about it probably is some sort of insurance fraud on some level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

dxt posted:

Is it really insurance fraud if I'm lying to my employer and not insurance? Serious question.

I mean you were lying while obtaining insurance... Your employer is providing the insurance but it still technically an application for insurance. So yes, I bet it would be classified as insurance fraud.