Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I made a thread in Ask/Tell about it. I have a couple questions about switching from State Farm to Esurance/Geico/some other internet insurer.

I've been with State Farm since I was 16, as that's who my dad used and I just always stayed with the same agent. My homeowner's insurance went up about 7% this year, apparently because my state has had so many homeowner claims (everyone's increased, they told me). That got me interested in shopping around.

For auto insurance, Geico and Esurance both come in at about ~$420 for 6 months for my 2 vehicles, with identical coverage as I have with State Farm. I'm currently paying roughly $670 to State Farm every 6 months. Significant savings to switch to Esurance or Geico.

I also have my homeowner's insurance with State Farm, which so far has been cheaper than Esurance or Geico. My homeowner's insurance will increase by 20% if I take my car insurance elsewhere, which still nets me a savings to switch (homeowner's goes from $1000/yr to about $1200).

I currently have a 10-year accident free discount on my truck, and a 3+ year accident free on my wife's car. No accidents or traffic tickets on either of our records. Just 3 years on her vehicle because her policy is only 3 years old, as she switched from wherever else to State Farm 3 years ago.

My concern is that if I switch to Geico or Esurance, I will be getting some sort of an introductory rate and find my rates increased after 6 or 12 months. Esurance told me I would have a $23/6 month "new customer" discount that would last me for 12 months, so a very meager increase after a year. Geico didn't tell me any such information about discounts.

Do these companies really increase rates for no good reason after a period of time? People in the thread I linked made some good points, and mostly told me that "no, they won't just increase your rates just to sucker you into switching to their company."

True/false?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU