Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
Can we talk about insurance for really old cars?

I'm tentatively looking into buying an early 70's corvette as a project car (something worth sub-$12k at time of purchase), with the intent to store it indoors for restoration. I want to keep it as a fair weather car, and put on probably <3000 miles/year.

Is it going to be expensive to keep it locked up in a garage in a non-operational condition? And how much more expensive is it going to be to insure it as a Sunday driver?

I'm in the CA bay area, if that helps :]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

Jastiger posted:

These are generally Classic Car policies, which are really nice. Often you name how much you want to insure it for. Sometimes it may be a better deal to go with the insurance companies valuation, but it's up to you. Often they'll be year round policies specifically for what you're talking about; driven maybe 4 months a year, often in a garage, and not driven. I've written a policy for 3 GTO's in the same situation for about $445 a year, and these were high value since he restored them.

You'd probably pay about half that unless you're in a high theft area. I would recommend biting the bullet and getting the year round plan instead of getting a small 4-6 month plan. This way it is ALWAYS insured and you won't have gaps in coverage for underwriting purposes.

Thanks! That was exactly what I wanted to hear :]