Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

The Locator posted:

Why is it that insurance companies will not give me a quote for coverage that is even remotely competitive with my current rates? It seems like at least one of the other big companies would be interested in my business and quote me into their preferred rates, but every time I try, I get a number that's anywhere from 50-80% higher than my current rates. It's strange.

This just happened to me recently. Been with one company for a number of years, decided to shop around and see what was what. Got a quote from another company and the rep was falling over to tell me "this is the best you'll get anywhere!"... except it was almost 50% more than what I was currently paying at. Guess not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is it possible to be an independent agent part time? As in keeping a full-time job, but selling and doing policy work with supplemental income in mind?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Jastiger posted:

It's possible. I know some folks that maintain a license to write policies for friends or as a side bit of another job. For example one guy was a car salesman and also wrote auto policies for car purchases at the dealership.

But it's not sustainable as a main source of income part time for most people.

That is purely what it would be, a part time side thing. I'd like to keep my full-time job.

I keep finding myself giving advice about finances and insurance to friends and coworkers because allegedly I've become known as a guy who pays attention to that kind of stuff. The thought crossed my mind about getting my insurance license(s) after a friend of mine got a really bad deal on some policies and was upsold to a bunch of whole-life nonsense. I also have a coworker who does part-time real estate and had mentioned he'd like to have an in-house so to speak or partnered insurance agent for certain customer related policies.

I wouldn't be getting in to it with an eye to make full time money, just supplemental income and/or as an as needed thing. Several of the results Google spits out about part-time agents make it seem like a bad idea. Stuff about maintaining your own EO insurance and licensing fees etc. It also looks like the independent agent policy pools can be expensive.