Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Why is it that insurance companies will not give me a quote for coverage that is even remotely competitive with my current rates? It seems like at least one of the other big companies would be interested in my business and quote me into their preferred rates, but every time I try, I get a number that's anywhere from 50-80% higher than my current rates. It's strange.

I'm a 48 y.o. single male with a very clean driving record, 3 vehicles (yea, I'm that guy), and a house. I'm currently with State Farm Mutual insurance (I've been with them now for 20+ years), and they are fine, but I occasionally will get a couple competitive quotes to make sure I'm not getting hosed, and I never get anything even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Back to car insurance. This isn't a question, so much as a recommendation to everyone regarding their own coverage.

Make sure you carry a decent amount of uninsured/underinsured coverage. It's cheap as hell (relatively speaking), and it is what will take care of your medical bills (and pain and suffering) when the other guy is at fault, but too dumb to carry insurance, or a reasonable amount of it.

I was in an accident a couple of weeks ago, and the other guy was carrying minimum liability. Luckily I only had minor injuries, and won't get near the personal injury coverage limit, but my car took $7500 to fix, plus 3 weeks of rental car for another $500 or so, which is 80% of the state minimum here.

I called my agent today and to change my uninsured/underinsured coverage from $50,000 to $100,000 will cost me less than $2.00 for 6 months, on 3 cars. Kind of a no-brainer IMO, when that part of the insurance is for *me*, not the other guy.

I'm sure this will vary based on what sort of other coverage you have (I already carry $100k/$300k liability), but it's worth investigating if you currently have very low limits on that portion of your policy.