Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
What's the consensus on car insurance for a rental car? I'm flying into LA for six days to visit a friend, but I don't own a car (and thus don't already have car insurance). He's going to have to work some of the days I'm there so I figured I'd rent a car to get around. I was looking and it looks like in California, a "Collision Damage Waiver" is pretty standard so if I end up doing minor damage to the car, that's covered. Am I right in thinking that if I get into a wreck, I'd be hosed unless I bought the extra $9-14 a day extended protection?

Would it be grossly irresponsible of me to not get insurance or is that something I would be OK without since I probably won't get into a wreck with 6 days of city driving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Absolutely get the CDW. If you don't carry insurance you could be completely hosed in the event of a loss.

Yeah, I would definitely get insurance that protects me if car is damaged or stolen (at least one rental place I looked at had it included in the normal rate) but would it also be necessary to get the insurance that covers third party injury/property damage?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Sperg Victorious posted:

I use the Amex Premium insurance. Only had to file 1 claim, but the rental agency didn't do anything with it. Only a scuffed bumper.

A lot of visa cards have similar programs, but there is usually a deductible and they're not always primary coverage.

But Gold and a Pager might have problems if he doesn't even have liability coverage, which the car rental agency will gladly provide. CDW and the credit card coverages will only cover damage done to the rental car, not to damage you do to other cars/property.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to shell out the extra cash for the liability coverage. Nothing ruins a good time like having a fender bender (or worse) and then having to pay thousands to replace someone's bumper (or worse).