Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

I have a car insurance question. My husband got his license when he was 22 (2002, but had his permit since 16), then it was revoked in 2008 after a series of suspensions from unpaid tickets, and in the last couple months of 2012 we finally had the money to pay it all off. This wiped him clean, basically; he was back to zero points according to the lady at the dmv. He had to start the process to reapply from square one as though he was a brand new driver...so permit test, 5hr course cert, and his road test is this friday. I want to add him as a driver on my insurance before he takes his road test. I would have done it when he got his permit again, but he's stubborn & wanted his own car/insurance, so I just didn't let him drive my/relatives cars until he was insured. Time is running out & he is still lacking insurance, so I'm just going to toss him on mine until he has a car.

To get to my question, when I go to add a driver (the last time I checked), it asks if the person was a new driver (or maybe it was how long they've been driving for). Assuming it asks any questions like that, do I answer as though he's a brand new driver, or do I answer it based on when he had his license the first time. That's the only thing really confusing me because he had a license & drove for several years, then there was the gap from the revocation, and now he is 6mo into a permit. It's not like he's a new driver who never had a permit/license, he's just on license #2.

I guess my other question is, are they going to be able to see this history anyway and use it to determine how much my payments go up (so it doesn't really matter how I answer the questions)? Also, when would my payments go up from adding a new driver? My policy renews in October, but my final payment is July. Are they likely to tack it on as a lump sum due immediately, or split it across my remaining two payments?

I only pay what averages out to $30/mo (once we have reliable income I'll bump things up beyond the minimums), so I'm not too worried about any increase. I'm just curious as to whether my rates will skyrocket because they'll count him as an inexperienced driver or not, or if there's a special bracket for people who have a license gap, or if his age will soften the blow at all (32, 33 soon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Well this is where you could possibly fudge it a bit.I will tell you right now that if you put him down as a brand new driver it WILL increase your premium. You could make the argument either way. If it were me, I'd put down that he's been licensed since he was 22. If they press it, you can come clean. They can see his history if there was a physical claim against him like he hit someone, or filed a claim because he backed into something. They can also check the court system records to see if any moving violations have been reported.

I am pretty sure his parking tickets will not show up there, so wouldn't worry too much about that. However, a license being revoked...I don't know how they report just that since there is usually an accompanying DUI or something that is associated with it. A license being revoked for tickets....I am just not sure. I'd probably not report any violations and if they come back with something, contest it. Not paying parking tickets does not make him a less safe driver (but then again neither does most other things they hit you for).

As for the premium, they will generally want the premium paid on the periods that the insurance was increased. If he's on there in June, they are going to want a correspondingly higher premium for June. Most companies will inform you of the premium increase and have you pay it immediately and then all the next bills will be higher. Or they may just wrap it into all your remaining payments. Very few are going to be on you for a lump sum increase unless its a high risk situation.

You'll see an increase because now you have two people, but provided they don't ding you for the license being "new", you should be alright.

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll just hopefully skirt it with the licensed since 22 thing then. These were all speeding tickets (15-20mph over), most got reduced in one way or another, but then things went downhill financially so they went unpaid, and turned into suspensions as a result. A couple got paid twice (they lost his reciept when they switched their records from paper to digital), we triple paid a driver assessment fee that they lost reciept of once, and the next time they claimed that we only paid half (we paid what the lady said was the full payoff at the time). It was a huge mess with somewhere around $6000 in the end just to finally get it all cleared up with every city & the dmv.

At this point I'm just happy he will be able to drive himself again, which makes income issues easier since we live out in the sticks, so driving is nearly a requirement.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Wow, municipalities/counties that "lose" receipts. That is pretty messed up. Where was all of this?

I didn't see they were speeding violations. That kind of changes things. If they are moving violations they will show up if they were within the last 5 years. Some companies only care about 3 years, most are 5. They have two segments 1-15 and 16+. 16+ is a big big deal and most may even deny you, at best will sky rocket your rates. The 1-15 are still quite costly. I have some on my record and it pretty much doubles the rate I've seen others pay with clean records. As I've said before speeding tickets are a MASSIVE racket and triple hit the recipient in money, time lost, and insurance premiums.

It was a couple of the cities neighboring Albany, NY. The last tickets were almost 6 years ago now. I added him online, said he was licensed since 22, answered all the other questions, and an hour later they had him added. My premium actually went down after adding him, which was a surprise.