Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey someone tell me why the sensors in digital cameras dont have a set up where every second pixel had a neutral density filter on it, and using the pair to increase bandwidth and capture far more information from the scene.

like this idea can't be new, somewhere someone has experimented with this, and there is a reason why sensors in cameras dont have it.

its the coolest most baddass idea for creating true high dynamic range images.

so why doesn't it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um no

it would be equivalent to taking a photo and then taking an identical photo with indentical settings but with a ND filter over the camera, and then using those two images to create a single image with a higher dynamic range. use the filtered one to recover information in blown out areas in the non filtered one

but this is done by having every second pixel on the sensor having a filter on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hope and vaseline posted:

Wouldn't that just cut your resolution in half? I don't know much about how sensors work but it seems like all the pixels are currently used to render an image.

What you're suggesting sounds more like auto hdr bracketing in theory.

yeah but we have enough megapixels already

and yeah is a lot like bracketing only idk... my camera doesnt have that feature so I dont know much mybe its better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
surely thats a goal though.

like no necessary reason why sensors have to be similar to film as far as dynamic range goes

I deal with proper high dynamic range images coz of what is produced with 3d software is hdr. the cool poo poo you can then do with it drat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it probably has a better profile or curve when it comes to blowing out

but yes

come on make them better

or add a filter to every second sensor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

Finally getting some goddamn sunlight around here...

you mother fucker

you god drat piece of poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

Echi, please, it’s been so cloudy and gray. Please.

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I can't believe it's taken me so long to realise that maximum colour exists somewhere around half saturation