Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

Except for that one time with the sex dungeon, where by the time the cops got there all the girls had escaped, while lots of 18K had been shot in the face. I literally have no idea how Teng managed to round up the rest of the gang based on that, but regardless, there's like a dozen-plus dead bodies to ignore. Teng is a decent woman, but in a HK dominated by triads, she has an unusually high tolerance for murder by Western standards. HKPD transplanted to LA would be The Shield but much, much worse.

It's a convention of the genre. Don't think of it as 'the real world', but it is an HK crime action movie.

In real life, it isn't normal for anyone to have laser pistols at the ready, but in X-Men, people have laser pistols all the time for no reason - it isn't related to mutants, nobody ever says 'thank god <soandso> invented laser pistols back in the 70s' but they just have laser pistols (so that they can shoot people and get shot a lot without having gunshot wounds). It's a genre convention.

So Wei killing like 200 gangsters isn't a thing. Wei killing Dogeyes (getting him killed) is a thing, because Dogeyes is a character and a person with a name (his name was Sammy Lin). Wei doesn't have bouts of agony over noname slaughter, but he does have them over Dogeyes.

Part of it is because it is a video game, and part of it is being based off HK action flicks, but I don't think you can really examine Teng's character through 'how she doesn't react to Wei killing unnamed guys.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ambivalent posted:

It's a convention of the genre. Don't think of it as 'the real world', but it is an HK crime action movie.

In real life, it isn't normal for anyone to have laser pistols at the ready, but in X-Men, people have laser pistols all the time for no reason - it isn't related to mutants, nobody ever says 'thank god <soandso> invented laser pistols back in the 70s' but they just have laser pistols (so that they can shoot people and get shot a lot without having gunshot wounds). It's a genre convention.

So Wei killing like 200 gangsters isn't a thing. Wei killing Dogeyes (getting him killed) is a thing, because Dogeyes is a character and a person with a name (his name was Sammy Lin). Wei doesn't have bouts of agony over noname slaughter, but he does have them over Dogeyes.

Part of it is because it is a video game, and part of it is being based off HK action flicks, but I don't think you can really examine Teng's character through 'how she doesn't react to Wei killing unnamed guys.'

Yeah, I mean, I understand this from the general open-world perspective. It't the intersection of Wei's criminal activities with Raymond's constant chastisement (except when you kill a guy in order to become a Red Pole, then he's impressed) that doesn't work. The game itself works great, it's the cop/crim duality that doesn't work, because even Raymond and Peng have no issue with you committing lots and lots of murders.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Similarly, delivering Naz to Peng made no sense to me. I've already killed dozens of his guys.What could she possibly do to ensure my safety? Send him to solitary confinement in the mainland, with heavily redacted communications? I mean, maybe, but shooting him in the face and saying you had nothing to do with it (as with Dogeyes) seems vastly safer. It's not like Wei has a problem with killing people.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VostokProgram posted:

What's really funny about this game's plot is that even the most oblivious Hong Kong newspaper reporter must have noticed the spike in homicides within days of Wei's arrival. Imagine how the events of the game would look to the press:

- A huge warehouse on the docks burns down after a gang dispute
- Dozens, if not hundreds of people die in a wedding massacre turned firefight in an upscale part of town
- Another firefight with dozens of casualties happens soon after in a popular club
- And another one, this time in the biggest goddamn hospital in the city
- Then there's an even bigger shootout at a cemetery where the police were present just before the firing started
- Then there's one at a crowded restaurant, and fifteen minutes later

What kind of crazy disinformation apparatus does Pendrew have to let him pull a cover-up of this magnitude?

This isn't me complaining about the game, by the way, because I think the insanity makes it better.

In 2011 IRL Hong Kong had like 17 homicides the entire year.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sebmojo posted:

In 2011 IRL Hong Kong had like 17 homicides the entire year.

Oh, sure, but where are your stats on amputations by golden cleaver? Oh, you don't have any? That's what I thought.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

Similarly, delivering Naz to Peng made no sense to me. I've already killed dozens of his guys.What could she possibly do to ensure my safety? Send him to solitary confinement in the mainland, with heavily redacted communications? I mean, maybe, but shooting him in the face and saying you had nothing to do with it (as with Dogeyes) seems vastly safer. It's not like Wei has a problem with killing people.

This is Wei Shen we're talking about.

I think there's nothing she could do to 'ensure his safety.",

This is a man who was tortured most of the way to death, killed his way through an army, took a point blank shotgun blast, and soaked up an explosion the size of a building. After all of that, he was still in good enough shape to win a fistfight and shove someone in an ice chipper. Wei Shen is going to be just fine as long as no-one drops a nuke on Hong Kong, and even then...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jack of Hearts posted:

I think he does it because Naz is Teng's informant, and he doesn't want to step on her toes. My interpretation is that no, Wei has no problem at all with just shooting Naz, but he respects/likes Teng enough to actually be considerate of her interests, and she'd prefer to keep her informant around for future use.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, I mean, I understand this from the general open-world perspective. It't the intersection of Wei's criminal activities with Raymond's constant chastisement (except when you kill a guy in order to become a Red Pole, then he's impressed) that doesn't work. The game itself works great, it's the cop/crim duality that doesn't work, because even Raymond and Peng have no issue with you committing lots and lots of murders.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Teng is a decent woman, but in a HK dominated by triads, she has an unusually high tolerance for murder by Western standards. HKPD transplanted to LA would be The Shield but much, much worse.
Think of the duality as everyone on both sides mostly being concerned with Wei "taking their side" and not about how moral or not he actually behaves beyond his allegiance... and again, Raymond comes off as a guy who was more impressed about Wei actually making Red Pole, because "Wei Shen killing people" is just that much the norm. Apparently his tattoo was the one that got the most Facebook/Twitter/e-mail inquiries from fans as well.

Also, fun piece of trivia: Ironically for someone who's supposed to be venerated for loyalty -- but hilariously appropriately for Wei Shen -- Guan Yu also did time on the other side (The Lost Bladesman is based off that), albeit before returning to his original allegiance.

VostokProgram posted:

I think he does it because Naz is Teng's informant, and he doesn't want to step on her toes. My interpretation is that no, Wei has no problem at all with just shooting Naz, but he respects/likes Teng enough to actually be considerate of her interests, and she'd prefer to keep her informant around for future use.
If I recall this was when they'd deemed Naz to no longer be of use as a CI, and didn't Teng get to take the credit for that collar? That's a favor that Wei could have called on in the future.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is, she specifically says that where he's going he won't be talking. Uh, where could that possibly be? According to the reports we're given, SCOUNDREL is, at best, highly untrustworthy. Wei basically admitted to him that he was a cop, so you'd have to put him in solitary, cut him off from visitation, as well as from legal representation, before you could ensure Wei's secret. Shoot the dude in the face, Wei! Teng won't even mind, you could blame it on rival 18K or something.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is, she specifically says that where he's going he won't be talking. Uh, where could that possibly be? According to the reports we're given, SCOUNDREL is, at best, highly untrustworthy. Wei basically admitted to him that he was a cop, so you'd have to put him in solitary, cut him off from visitation, as well as from legal representation, before you could ensure Wei's secret. Shoot the dude in the face, Wei! Teng won't even mind, you could blame it on rival 18K or something.
A dead Naz is just that, but like I said above, a live Naz in custody is an arrest to Teng's name and a favor to be redeemed in the future if need be*, there's no reason that Wei's murderousness should prevent him from being able to think ahead like that. What's more:

Naz posted:

I know you're a cop!

Wei posted:

And I know you're a snitch. You want to see who your boys kill first?
Apparently Naz also associated with 18K, so there's a ready-made excuse for Wei if Naz ever managed to throw that claim SOY's way. In fact, apparently during the penultimate mission(s) one of Big Smile Lee's men is overheard admitting his belief that "Wei is a cop" isn't actually true but just an excuse to purge Wei's faction.

* I'm personally of the belief that Broken Nose Jiang ordering Wei spared at the end was her returning the favor for his siding with her faction. Too bad for Wei that evidently "not being busted down to beat cop" wasn't available, or maybe he'd already used it up by that point...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chortles posted:

* I'm personally of the belief that Broken Nose Jiang ordering Wei spared at the end was her returning the favor for his siding with her faction. Too bad for Wei that evidently "not being busted down to beat cop" wasn't available, or maybe he'd already used it up by that point...

That, and not wanting to gently caress with Wei. His cover's broken and he's out of the SOY, providing a disincentive to future moles isn't worth the war that would result.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize the game rewarded you for tackling purse snatchers. I was just doing it for RP reasons!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack of Hearts posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize the game rewarded you for tackling purse snatchers. I was just doing it for RP reasons!

But did you give the money back? I'm pretty sure that when you tackle a purse snatcher, you can just keep all the money if you don't give it back to the person it was stolen from.

Edit: unless what you're saying is you didn't realize that you still got a reward when you returned the purses?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Edit: unless what you're saying is you didn't realize that you still got a reward when you returned the purses?

Yeah, in a monetary sense the award is trivial. You can give the money?

Like, the $1500 HK? Admittedly that's 100 pork buns, bit still. How do you even extract wealth from purses?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yeah, in a monetary sense the award is trivial. You can give the money?

Like, the $1500 HK? Admittedly that's 100 pork buns, bit still. How do you even extract wealth from purses?

I'm 90% sure if you tackle the purse snatcher and then wait for the person chasing them to catch up, you give them the $1500HK back and they let you keep $100HK as a reward. Which is even more trivial. But it has been awhile since I played.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It's dumb that they made it so you can't equip individual items from a dlc clothing set now, but the graphics are way nicer.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
How the gently caress is the Knox security transport company still in business? I've bought everything in the game (because fight clubs and street races are fun, so you get to face 10 really really early) and I still hijack every truck that I see simply because escaping the cops at heat 5 is basically my favorite minigame. (Bonus if you don't do it around Kennedy Town, which has way too many jumps handy and therefore makes it sort of trivial.) I've stolen dozens of these supposedly secure trucks, all of which have a) glass which can be easily kicked through, and b) doors which are unlocked on both sides.

When the HKPD tries to bust him down to beat cop (which is weird, since he's on loan from the SFPD anyway), Wei should just say gently caress that and offer himself as a security consultant to Knox. Lock your doors, reinforce your glass, pay a modest tribute to the SOY (just so they don't attempt to ram you off the road for giggles), and you will save yourself and your clients literally millions of HK funbux.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm not sure what is funnier : playing through the game in just your underwear or playing through some missions wearing the cop uniform.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blackguy32 posted:

I'm not sure what is funnier : playing through the game in just your underwear or playing through some missions wearing the cop uniform.

I'm not an undercover cop guys I swear, where would you even get that idea from

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haha yeah, just sitting there in your SWAT uniform. "I smell a rat!"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why did they make the final edition literally non-downloadable for anyone with a 32bit OS?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Why did they make the final edition literally non-downloadable for anyone with a 32bit OS?
It's a 64-bit build, yes. If you're into modern gaming, why would you still be on 32-bit?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

gibbed posted:

It's a 64-bit build, yes. If you're into modern gaming, why would you still be on 32-bit?
I'm not, but the PC I use to download is. Bits matter little for a browser/Steam thingie with 2GB RAM.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm not, but the PC I use to download is. Bits matter little for a browser/Steam thingie with 2GB RAM.

Congratulations, you are That Guy.

EDIT: No, seriously. You don't need to borderline-SIPRnet your gaming rig to keep it safe, a VM is probably less costly than an entire extra rig for ~totally legit Linux ISOs I swear~ (if you're going to go even that far), and how the hell do you even activate games on your not-Internet computer?

Also if you're doing this because you're doing actual money or real-world prestige poo poo on your gaming PC, you're a bad computer user because you shouldn't be gaming on your bread and butter.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 16, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SelenicMartian posted:

Okay, you're a rarity. You're the guy who isn't just in that 1% of users, you're in the .1% of users. They probably don't want to let people download games that they just can't run on their computer because it will create customer service issues down the line when someone with a 32-bit system downloads the game and it doesn't start up and they spent 3 hours downloading the game. There's no real reason to support it, and the small number of people that would benefit from such support don't have enough pull to make it worth their while. Most of the time, the computer that's downloading it will be the computer that's running it.

This is one of those moments in software design where I have to ask how you are even doing this.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also if you're doing this because you're doing actual money or real-world prestige poo poo on your gaming PC, you're a bad computer user because you shouldn't be gaming on your bread and butter.
I assumed he has bad home Internet but a good connection at work or college or wherever on a crummy lab computer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I assumed he has bad home Internet but a good connection at work or college or wherever on a crummy lab computer.

Yeah, it's not even that much of an edge case. Data caps in some countries can be tiny.

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.

blackguy32 posted:

I was kind of amused by that too. This video has a spoiler for early on in the game for anyone who hasn't played much yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7AN1vAeUUI

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This is true, he is not undercover.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This was my absolute favorite way to replay the game. The Red Pole initiation ceremony scene was super-hilarious.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They're on the look-out for undercover cops, not uniformed officers :rolleyes:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SadWhaleFamily posted:

This was my absolute favorite way to replay the game. The Red Pole initiation ceremony scene was super-hilarious.

The whole game is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I went to an opposing gang meet in full DLC SWAT kit.

CHECK HIM FOR WEAPONS.

(i stand impassive like a blue law golem as thug frisks me)

HE'S CLEAN, BOSS

(thug backs away, looking at where my eyes would be if i didn't have a full police face mask of ballistic plastic on)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Anyone else get a closed beta invite to Triad Wars? I'm nervous

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
"Gold" seems to have some purpose and costs money. $10 to $100.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Anyone else get a closed beta invite to Triad Wars? I'm nervous
I hope the zero-fucks they give about beta-ing it to Aus and near-by region just means they're making sure the base game itself works and isn't just 'lol gently caress everyone that isn't US/Eur'.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
NDA is down so speak freely fellow goons.

Played it for a few hours. You can play one of three gangs, 18K, Sun On Yee, or some other guys who do gambling. It's OK - there doesn't seem to be much story outside of raiding other players to build your base, including taking on "the enforcer" which is just the other player controlled by an AI? The base map is mostly unchanged in size but they've changed the layout a bit for the bases. The general melee moveset is about the same in that you start with a few moves and unlock others. Driving around town and knocking over civilians is still fun, motorcycles are still the best vehicle, didn't buy a pork bun yet. Running around seemed sluggish, maybe, at least controlling your character seemed harder than it did in Sleeping Dogs. Also noticed my CPU temperature went pretty high.

Gold is used to buy vehicles and clothing, apparently you can get it in-game but it would require a lot of grinding to build out a nice wardrobe.

I guess it's fun for a few hours but if this is the game's depth - then it's Mafia Wars but with pork buns.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
A dev confirmed actual co-op is on the way on the beta forums, so if you want to wait till fun times are able to be had, just do the bare minimum to upgrade your safehouse to level 10 and collect your daily premium currency every day. At level 10 it's 50 gold a day, which is about 75 cents, which isn't exactly breaking the bank, but is going to be neat when actual co-op gets in the game and you have $100+ of premium currency from daily poo poo like safehouse gold and informants on the map to gently caress around with.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Can you play as a woman. If you can't that's gonna be a no-play for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Can you play as a woman. If you can't that's gonna be a no-play for me

Nope. I asked the devs about it but got kind of a 'we'd love that, that sounds great!!' response which is, noticeably, not actually an answer, so...

• Locked thread