Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Just wanted to let everyone know that Comixology is offering the first issue of the new X-O Manowar for free today only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lewtz
Oct 1, 2011
Valiant was my favorite comics during the 90's. So far I feel these re releases have lived up to the originals. I only hope more folks love these.

These alone have been enough to get me back into a B&M store for the first time in 15yrs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is something. Valiant is sponsoring the US Luge team and they will be sporting X-O Manowar inspired uniforms.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/valiant-sponsors-u-s-luge-team-designs-x-o-manowar-uniforms/

quote:

In what The Wall Street characterizes as a low six-figure deal, Valiant Entertainment has signed as a sponsor of USA Luge for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The comics publisher has also designed the team’s uniform to look like the armor of X-O Manowar.

“The sponsorship is going to help the team in a couple of ways,” explained Gordy Sheer, USA Luge’s director of marketing. “… They’ll look good and they’ll feel fast, but also Valiant is helping the team with financial support. We’re a small sport, and every bit of help that we get is absolutely meaningful and directly affects our ability to perform.”

In the video below, Wall Street Journal reporter John Jurgensen notes that while movie studios (including DC Comics parent company Warner Bros.) routinely promote projects through NASCAR sponsorships, this appears to be the first time a company has used a national athletic team to advertise a character.

“For Valiant the idea is to kind of become a household name,” Jurgensen said. The publisher relaunched its comics line in May, with X-O Manowar as its flagship.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Welp pack it in guys. :suicide:

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I just discovered these comics, and for the most part I'm really impressed at how good they are. I've picked up the first two of each series (except Shadowman, which just released its first). Archer & Armstrong is my favorite, Harbinger is also good, and Bloodshot is already way better than I'd expect a comic called "Bloodshot" to be.

My main question is: does X-O Manowar get better? It's getting rave reviews, but two issues in and I don't have much of a feeling for who he is and what he does. Is he just a Visigoth warlord, or is there more to him? Can anyone tell me whether or not it's worth reading further?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tequila Bob posted:

I just discovered these comics, and for the most part I'm really impressed at how good they are. I've picked up the first two of each series (except Shadowman, which just released its first). Archer & Armstrong is my favorite, Harbinger is also good, and Bloodshot is already way better than I'd expect a comic called "Bloodshot" to be.

My main question is: does X-O Manowar get better? It's getting rave reviews, but two issues in and I don't have much of a feeling for who he is and what he does. Is he just a Visigoth warlord, or is there more to him? Can anyone tell me whether or not it's worth reading further?
If you don't like it, stop reading! I honestly can't say it gets a whole lot better, though he does actually get the armor, so there's that. Maybe read until the end of the first arc? I always feel like one story arc is a fair assessment, but if you're not interested, no worries.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
That's some good advice. I'll finish the first arc, then!

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Are these reboots starting completely fresh, or are they going to hang on to any of the original continuity?

Either way, I really hope we see some form of Dr. Silk in Ninjak.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Are these reboots starting completely fresh, or are they going to hang on to any of the original continuity?

Either way, I really hope we see some form of Dr. Silk in Ninjak.
They're starting fresh.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

How are the Bloodshot comics so far? I had a couple issues (#34 and 35) back in the day and thought they were pretty cool, but then again I was 10. I had given them to my roommate as he has a large comic collection but I think he just tried to sell them all. Gotta find out if he still has them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

How are the Bloodshot comics so far? I had a couple issues (#34 and 35) back in the day and thought they were pretty cool, but then again I was 10. I had given them to my roommate as he has a large comic collection but I think he just tried to sell them all. Gotta find out if he still has them.
It's probably my second favorite the bunch at this point. It's a neat action conspiracy story.

Also, Shadowman #1 hit last week. It was weird.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I've been reading Archer & Armstrong. Valiant's relaunch was worth it just to get this comic. :allears:

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Comixology is having a $0.99 Black Friday sale on both old and new Valiant issues. I don't see this week's releases included, but everything else is there!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

As per Rich Johnston, there's ANOTHER TWO ISSUES OF THE ORIGINAL RUN OF QUANTUM AND WOODY that got found in a drawer.

And they're going to be published on Comixology (...in theory).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My comic shop discovered that if you ask nicely Valiant will send you #1s to give out for free. Granted, this was after the one Valiant fan in Des Moines donated a bunch of them first to give away.

I didn't really like Harbinger very much but A&A was good.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

As per Rich Johnston, there's ANOTHER TWO ISSUES OF THE ORIGINAL RUN OF QUANTUM AND WOODY that got found in a drawer.

And they're going to be published on Comixology (...in theory).

Thats surprising. If there were issues sitting in a draw I think the creators would have mentioned it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Priest had a lot written from what I remember but this is the first I've heard of anything actually having been drawn.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

My comic shop discovered that if you ask nicely Valiant will send you #1s to give out for free. Granted, this was after the one Valiant fan in Des Moines donated a bunch of them first to give away.

I didn't really like Harbinger very much but A&A was good.

Harbinger gets better. There's no indication of where the plot's actually going for like three or four issues (the plot is, Professor Xavier is a dickhead who wants to control the world and X-Man tells him to eat dick and recruits his own team and it's gonna be a war of psychics, and that's awesome).

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Dickeye posted:

Harbinger gets better. There's no indication of where the plot's actually going for like three or four issues (the plot is, Professor Xavier is a dickhead who wants to control the world and X-Man tells him to eat dick and recruits his own team and it's gonna be a war of psychics, and that's awesome).

Also X-Man was a gigantic shithead for the first arc.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I've been re-reading Harbinger, and I can't believe I just now made a connection between the Bleeding Monk's non-healing chest wound and Bloodshot's non-healing chest wound. Was there any connection between those two in the original series, or is this something new?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just bought Harbinger 1-8 and Bloodshot 1-8 for a buck an issue on Comixology. That was surprisingly good stuff! I'm definitely hooked for the Harbinger War event, but isn't 4 bucks an issue a bit much? I guess I'll keep up with it a month late just so I can get the dollar rebate on digital issues.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Kikkoman posted:

I just bought Harbinger 1-8 and Bloodshot 1-8 for a buck an issue on Comixology. That was surprisingly good stuff! I'm definitely hooked for the Harbinger War event, but isn't 4 bucks an issue a bit much? I guess I'll keep up with it a month late just so I can get the dollar rebate on digital issues.

Did you actually just buy this, or did you get it over the weekend? I was trying to pick these up before the sale ended Sunday, but have been unable to log in until this morning-and I'm not seeing these available for 99˘ anymore. If there's some way to still get these on sale I'd love to know how.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Kikkoman posted:

$4 per issue is a bit much, especially when the trades all seem to be $10 for four-issue arcs. I'm hoping the price will go down as they get more customers and series going.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've dropped to just X-O and Archer & Armstrong, and X-O is probably on the chopping block, as well. Archer is still really great, though.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

unl33t posted:

Did you actually just buy this, or did you get it over the weekend? I was trying to pick these up before the sale ended Sunday, but have been unable to log in until this morning-and I'm not seeing these available for 99¢ anymore. If there's some way to still get these on sale I'd love to know how.

Nah, I got it before Comixology poo poo the bed. Sorry!

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Kikkoman posted:

Nah, I got it before Comixology poo poo the bed. Sorry!

Well, I had already contacted Comixology support, and they said they would refund me the price difference if I bought them; so I just did that. Hopefully they will come through with the refund...

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Bleeding cool, grain of salt, etc. but Quantum and Woody are coming back in July!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Bleeding cool, grain of salt, etc. but Quantum and Woody are coming back in July!

If there's no Priest and Bright it's not even worth it.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

It's not Priest and Bright :smith:, but I'll take it: James Asmus and Tom Fowler on Quantum and Woody.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's not Priest and Bright :smith:, but I'll take it: James Asmus and Tom Fowler on Quantum and Woody.

Nope. Not even a little interested without Priest and Doc.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I just got around to reading the issues of Harbinger I picked up during the sale, and subsequently bought all of the remaining issues to get caught up. This book is fantastic, and I'm tempted to check out Bloodshot just to get caught up for Harbinger Wars. The free issue of Shadowman seemed pretty cool too, so I might have to start picking that up as well.

Speaking as someone that has only vague memories of being disinterested in the Valiant stuff I read back in the day, this was really a shock to see how fun and engaging these books are.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
As found in todays Valiant FCBD special, looks like the next big event will be happening in the winter, called Unity.

Also, it appears that this summer there will be more series launching in addition to Quantum & Woody. The new series will be Eternal Warrior, Ninjak, and H.A.R.D. Corps. It'll be interesting to see how that last one shakes out, since rumors have been circulating that Bloodshot will be retitled (but not renumbered) "Bloodshot: H.A.R.D. Corps" since its sales are pretty low even by Valiant standards and this could give it a bump. Depending on the way things shake out in Harbinger Wars, it might be a fairly smooth transition. If true, of course.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, the Harbinger Wars 8-bit game is now on the itunes app store for free.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also all five Valiant #1's are now available in $1 reprint editions so you have no excuse for not checking them out! There's even a bundle of all five that saves you a nickel!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Space_Butler posted:

It'll be interesting to see how that last one shakes out, since rumors have been circulating that Bloodshot will be retitled (but not renumbered) "Bloodshot: H.A.R.D. Corps" since its sales are pretty low even by Valiant standards and this could give it a bump.
Has there been any mentions of a lowered price point on their books? 3.99 just seems like so much for monthly action indies, especially when you compare it to some of the stuff Image puts out for 2.99.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Space_Butler posted:

As found in todays Valiant FCBD special, looks like the next big event will be happening in the winter, called Unity.

Glad to see that the Valiants continue to be really creative with their event names.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Mimir posted:

Glad to see that the Valiants continue to be really creative with their event names.

They're literally just recycling event names from the original Valiant.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Genetic Toaster posted:

They're literally just recycling event names from the original Valiant.

Anyone who was a reader of classic Valiant able to expand on what Unity was the first time it happened? The article on wikipedia is confounding for a new reader like myself.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Honestly, even as a fan of the original Valiant books, it was just a bog standard lovely 90's crossover event. There's some supervillain that wants to blow up the universe for nebuluous reasons and she's doing it from the place outside of time where Turok: Dinosaur Hunter hunts dinosaurs (which is like a block up the street from where/when Magnus: Robot Fighter fights robots). All the heroes from the modern time got sucked up to go fight her and their books got horribly derailed for like two or three issues. Finally, they beat her and dump her in a ditch outside of history where she can't get back to the universe somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was also used to unify (hence the name) all the books into one universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Rhyno posted:

It was also used to unify (hence the name) all the books into one universe.

But they'd already done that by having Solar in the 3rd issue or so of Magnus fighting the spider aliens.

The original Unity was WAY better than the other crossovers Valiant put out in the 90s. I ended up picking up most of the books over the years, and I still don't know what the hell was going on with Chaos Effect.

• Locked thread