Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look I just found out Valiant even existed like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Look I just found out Valiant even existed like a month ago.

Quantum and Woody is one of the shorter series. It has 12 regular issues, a 0 issue about The Goat, a giant sized special, and a four issue mini. Do not, DO NOT, read the continuation of the original series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have the first Quantum & Woody TPB from the current Valiant run, if you are interested in buying it or trading another book for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have the first Quantum & Woody TPB from the current Valiant run, if you are interested in buying it or trading another book for it.

Nah, I read all my stuff digitally. Thanks though.

Anyway I went ahead and picked up the whole Q&W 2012 series and the followup, it was only about $45. So I'm sure it'll be on sale next week.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 19, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Nah, I read all my stuff digitally. Anyway I went ahead and picked up the whole Q&W 2012 series and the followup, it was only about $45. So I'm sure it'll be on sale next week.

You're getting close to the whole line now aren't you? Soon you'll be one of the very few of us. On my re-read through all of it my favorite book seems to change every other arc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

You're getting close to the whole line now aren't you? Soon you'll be one of the very few of us. On my re-read through all of it my favorite book seems to change every other arc.

Well, I'm just reading the 2012 and later stuff, so I need XO, Ninjak, Shadowman, Rai, Unity, Bloodshot and then all the relaunches and events so....no. But I do plan on getting everything eventually, I just need to be better about waiting for sales. To me the series get better and better, like Harbinger was great but Imperium is loving awesome. A&A was fantastic but Ivar is crazy good. How is every person that reads cape books not all over this company?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Well, I'm just reading the 2012 and later stuff, so I need XO, Ninjak, Shadowman, Rai, Unity, Bloodshot and then all the relaunches and events so....no. But I do plan on getting everything eventually, I just need to be better about waiting for sales. To me the series get better and better, like Harbinger was great but Imperium is loving awesome. A&A was fantastic but Ivar is crazy good. How is every person that reads cape books not all over this company?

That I could not tell you man. I think for a 25 issue and out run, that Archer and Armstrong might be the my favorite limited book of all time. I love it that much. I've read a number that were better, but nothing that had the fun and adventure and just overall joy that book had. X-O is probably my favorite Valiant series, surprise, just because it's just the steady rock of quality comics storytelling. It's the only book that hasn't spun off into another title or cut it's run short. It just keeps telling a great story. Bloodshot is like the book that keeps being relaunched into something better every time. Duane Swierczynski started it off as a great solo book then intersected it with Harbinger to bring in a whole bunch of other elements and eventually turned it into a team book with HARD Corps which was even better. And now Jeff Lemire has turned the whole thing on its head and is writing one of the best books of 2015 with Bloodshot Reborn. Then you have other titles like Imperium and the completely new Divinity which are amazing. And as you said Ivar is right up there with the best stuff coming out today. It's a pretty goddamn amazing company.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a sucker who has everything digitally and sometimes buys the physical book too. I can honestly say that out of their whole catalog since they rebooted it, there are about 3 or so garbage series/arcs: that weird Q&W thing, much of Shadowman (though some people really like it so I dunno), and Dead Drop. Though Dead Drop has one issue left so maybe #4 will turn it all around.

Everything else ranges from very good on the low end (H.A.R.D corps) to Holy poo poo this is the best (A&A, Harbinger/Imperium, Book of Death, oh hell mostly everything)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shadowman is probably the only major misstep they've made. They tried to right the ship with the revamp but sales had dipped too low by then. Looks like they're waiting for the right pitch before they bring him back again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is there a reading order you are suppose to follow for Harbingers? Where can I find a read order for books. Reading Harbingers right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed the Justin Jordan issues at the beginning of Shadowman but after they switched up and brought Milligan on I think it took a sharp dive. It wasn't bad but it was the very definition of mediocre and forgetful. Honestly I even skipped the last couple issues and the End Times mini on my re-read.

EDIT: Oh and the Punk Mambo one shot. I did NOT like that. I think it was the only really bad thing they've done in the new continuity and I always forget about it because I try to. I also don't like the character.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Hollismason posted:

Is there a reading order you are suppose to follow for Harbingers? Where can I find a read order for books. Reading Harbingers right now.

Read them numerically, starting with the normal ones then Omega, then Imperium. During the events, there will be a 'key' near the back of the first issue letting you know what is in that event from other series.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I fell off of Valiant hard after Harbinger Wars. The stories were still great, but I got burned out following everything a single publisher was putting out.

I kept up with Quantum & Woody and the Delinquents, but is there anything essential I've missed?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genetic Toaster posted:

I fell off of Valiant hard after Harbinger Wars. The stories were still great, but I got burned out following everything a single publisher was putting out.

I kept up with Quantum & Woody and the Delinquents, but is there anything essential I've missed?

Valiant -> Book of Death

Ninjak

Bloodshot Reborn

And I really like Imperium but that might just be me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up on some stuff.

Ninjak #5 - great.

Bloodshot #5 - great.

Book of Death #2 - great.

Guys, I really like valiant.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I've been using this list on reddit. It has overall books, but also break downs for the events that has been good for me.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

Finally caught up on some stuff.

Ninjak #5 - great.

Bloodshot #5 - great.

Book of Death #2 - great.

Guys, I really like valiant.

drat straight. This last week in comics was really good. Ivar winds up an arc, Book of Death drops some bombs, and Rai starts back up again. Rai is a really pretty comic. My local comic book store didn't get me a legends of the geomancer 2, so I am going to have to eBay it...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Rai continues to be gorgeous and should be as long as Clayton Crain stays on the book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rai happens way way in the future right? So does it ever connect to the wider Valiant universe?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

LordPants posted:

And I really like Imperium but that might just be me.

Nope, you're not the only one. Just purchased the first volume of X-O and hopefully I'll enjoy that as much as I do Harbinger/Imperium.

On a negative note, I tried to get into Bloodshot Reborn but found it wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't care for Lemire's Green Arrow much - just so utterly humorless, which his Bloodshot suffers from, too. I thought the art was jarring, as well: it seemed to be heavily referenced and/or traced, and it seemed that different models were used for the same character on the same page, which took me out of the moment time and time again. But that might just be me.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

zoux posted:

Rai happens way way in the future right? So does it ever connect to the wider Valiant universe?

Yes and yes!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Valiant a relatively successful company? I'd be real pissed to get into the line and have the whole thing cancelled.

Also where's my Goat ongoing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valiant is doing fine. They've been wise not to overextend themselves into putting too many titles out and instead keeping everything pretty small scale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Is Valiant a relatively successful company? I'd be real pissed to get into the line and have the whole thing cancelled.

Also where's my Goat ongoing?

Valiant recently signed a pretty big development deal for TV and film and it dumped a LOT of money into their pockets. They don't have much in the way of financial worries right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They really punch above their weight.

As far as I know, the only title that under performs is Unity, which just hasn't seem to have caught on for whatever reason.

Book of Death #1 sold like, 60,000 copies or something, and their trades often sell well also.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am really surprised how well Divinity did. I think it was their best selling book and is on like its forth printing or something. It is really good, but I didn't know it would resonate with audiences that much.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am really surprised how well Divinity did. I think it was their best selling book and is on like its forth printing or something. It is really good, but I didn't know it would resonate with audiences that much.

That's great to hear. It's pretty esoteric; hopefully it'll encourage them to take more weird chances.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I completed my re-read through all the tiles this morning. Ending right before The Valiant as everything from there on is too recent and fresh in my mind to be part of the re-read. As a title Archer & Armstrong is still my favorite, Van Lente created something really special there. I so hope that the relaunch is Van Lente and Pere Perez. They did great things together on that book. I think my favorite arc of all Valiant so far is the second arc of Eternal Warrior by Greg Pak that's set in 4001 A.D. dealing with Gilad and his granddaughter. It's an amazingly thoughtful and well done standalone story.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

X-O posted:

Well I completed my re-read through all the tiles this morning. Ending right before The Valiant as everything from there on is too recent and fresh in my mind to be part of the re-read. As a title Archer & Armstrong is still my favorite, Van Lente created something really special there. I so hope that the relaunch is Van Lente and Pere Perez. They did great things together on that book. I think my favorite arc of all Valiant so far is the second arc of Eternal Warrior by Greg Pak that's set in 4001 A.D. dealing with Gilad and his granddaughter. It's an amazingly thoughtful and well done standalone story.
I read everything up until a little after harbinger wars when it came out (I went overseas just before Unity, and didn't get into it). I'm just finding my way back, and you aren't kidding about this arc of Eternal Warrior. I just read the first issue (5) and it's so awesome. I didn't like the first arc at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it's really good.

I'm going to make a new thread in the next day or two with an updated OP running down all the books and properties from Valiant so that any new people might have a good idea of what's available and what follows what. If anyone has any suggestions or title ideas now's the time to post them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could make it a rule that not reading Valiant books is bannable?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We could, and we should, but we won't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Psh, I expected more of your reign as moderator.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

:rolleyes:

;)

X-O posted:

I'm going to make a new thread in the next day or two with an updated OP running down all the books and properties from Valiant so that any new people might have a good idea of what's available and what follows what. If anyone has any suggestions or title ideas now's the time to post them.

Valiant 2015 - Nanomachines, Son.

(That's a terrible title but the only thing I could think of except for something like "Jim Shooter Did Nothing Wrong"

Also: can't wait for the new thread. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll wear my Shadowman t-shirt to the new thread launch party.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I'll wear my Shadowman t-shirt to the new thread launch party.

And I'll bring my Shadowman gravestone, and my son Turok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just remembered I sill have the goofy sunglasses I got when I bought Shadowman for the N64.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Truck of salt required, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that among the relaunches set for later this year (Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong) we'll also be getting a new Shadowman book by a new creative team. A new creative team means it's probably not Peter Milligan which is all I'm asking for because I thought his Shadowman stunk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Truck of salt required, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that among the relaunches set for later this year (Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong) we'll also be getting a new Shadowman book by a new creative team. A new creative team means it's probably not Peter Milligan which is all I'm asking for because I thought his Shadowman stunk.

Has Milligan written anything good in the last 10 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Has Milligan written anything good in the last 10 years?

Well stunk is a relative term in this case. It was ok as far as comics go, but comparing it to everything else that Valiant was putting out at the time it was definitely the lesser of the books. But come to think of it I'm not sure I've read anything else of his since the Dead Girl spinoff years ago. I know he had a run on X-Men at one point but I never read it.

• Locked thread