Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As a store we have so much faith in the quality of the new Valiant that in March we had the XO and Harbinger trades for $5 each and this month we're selling the $5 pack of #1's for $2.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

As a store we have so much faith in the quality of the new Valiant that in March we had the XO and Harbinger trades for $5 each and this month we're selling the $5 pack of #1's for $2.99.
That's pretty awesome. My shop orders 2 copies per title to cover their pull list customers and spends the rest of the time loudly joking "what's next, is Malibu gonna make a relaunch too?" because drumming up business gets in the way of being smug dicks, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

That's pretty awesome. My shop orders 2 copies per title to cover their pull list customers and spends the rest of the time loudly joking "what's next, is Malibu gonna make a relaunch too?" because drumming up business gets in the way of being smug dicks, I guess.

Valiant loves us, they send us so much free stuff I have trouble giving it away. They even had a presence at the local convention last year so we got some face time with them.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
While in line for a James Asmus signing at SDCC, I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be the moderator for the Valiant panel. We were talking about various things, when he asked if I was excited for Unity. I told him "yeah, Harbinger Wars was great, so another event book should be awesome." He replied to me in a really hushed voice "Actually, it's not an event. It's a title. Think Justice League or Brave & The Bold."

So there you go. Sounds like Unity is gonna be a team-up book, so that they can have characters interact without taking up arcs of their titles anymore. Not a bad idea, frankly, and explains why Valiant keeps saying cryptic things to fans like "why do you think Unity is a crossover event?". Unless he was messing with me, of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

While in line for a James Asmus signing at SDCC, I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be the moderator for the Valiant panel. We were talking about various things, when he asked if I was excited for Unity. I told him "yeah, Harbinger Wars was great, so another event book should be awesome." He replied to me in a really hushed voice "Actually, it's not an event. It's a title. Think Justice League or Brave & The Bold."

So there you go. Sounds like Unity is gonna be a team-up book, so that they can have characters interact without taking up arcs of their titles anymore. Not a bad idea, frankly, and explains why Valiant keeps saying cryptic things to fans like "why do you think Unity is a crossover event?". Unless he was messing with me, of course.

I thought it was a crossover too. That's what they hinted at back at C2E2 anyways.

Was anyone else really shocked at how good Q&W #1 was?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was funny without being forcefully wacky, and there's a great sense already of who these characters are and what makes them tick. It's great to pulling yet another "fun" book, in addition to ones like Archer & Armstrong. A lot of the Valiant books are really giving off a pleasant vibe lately, which is a great counterbalance to all the "serious business" of the big 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only book I'm really not digging is Shadowman. Otherwise I'm getting the rest of the line. I'm glad they're not pushing too fast and starting a dozen new books, any other publisher and the line would be 20 books deep by now.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman is the weakest of the titles, and it's a bit weird that the main character hasn't even had that much face time in it, but personally I'm gonna keep reading for a little while since there's so few cape books dealing with magic these days. But you're absolutely right that the slow trickle method is definitely the better way to go, as much as I'd love several dozen books of this caliber.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, it sounds like at the panel they said the next books after Eternal Warrior (which is probably going to be another home run due to Pak) are most likely going to be Ninjak and Rai, in no specific order. After that, they say they want to keep reviving more classic characters, but also try and establish brand new ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At C2E2 they hinted that there was a definite chance at us seeing the "whole" Valiant Universe within the next year. A few of us guessed this meant a deal was being working on for Magnus, Solar and Turok since the Dark Horse deal is done and considered a flop.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

I thought it was a crossover too. That's what they hinted at back at C2E2 anyways.

I haven't read it yet but one of the guys at my LCBS bought 50 copies with his own cash, and gave them out for free (first to people with it on their pull, then the remainder to randomly drawn people). I got one that was just sitting around and hadn't been given out (because I'm awesome). As a thanks, Valiant sent him a copy of each of the variants.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't read it yet but one of the guys at my LCBS bought 50 copies with his own cash, and gave them out for free (first to people with it on their pull, then the remainder to randomly drawn people). I got one that was just sitting around and hadn't been given out (because I'm awesome). As a thanks, Valiant sent him a copy of each of the variants.

That's awesome of him and of Valiant. I'm really loving how retailer and fan friendly they are.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Unity is now "officially" officialy announced. Ongoing series, written by Matt Kindt and drawn by Doug Braithwaite. The book is meant to be the Valiant universes Avengers or Justice League, but without it being an official team with a headquarters and a big red phone for emergencies.

The book will be a response to the latest arc in X-O Manowar, in which Aric has returned to Earth with the lost Visigoths and has declared his old homelands (current-day Romania) to be under his rule. Harada forms a team comprised of himself, Livewire, Ninjak, and Eternal Warrior to take Aric down. Interview with Editor Warren Simons in the link above, and CBR has an interview with Matt Kindt and Robert Venditti here.

I gotta say, the thing I love most about this is how organically this has all built out since the relaunch. Everything's coming back together for this next big step, and it feels like a logical extension of the story/universe rather than months of stories built to serve this new book (unlike what Geoff Johns is doing over in JL/JLA for DC)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome by Braithwaite is among the worst artists in modern comics. I don't expect to enjoy the book much with him attached.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I am REALLY loving Quantum & Woody. It's funny, but without feeling like that's the only point of the book. I especially love how it can do humor on one page, and then jump to an emotional beat for the next, without losing anything. And the coloring changes for the flashback pages are a nice touch, too.

Apparently issue 1 sold out at the distributor level, hopefully it can keep that momentum going. This book definitely deserves it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

I am REALLY loving Quantum & Woody. It's funny, but without feeling like that's the only point of the book. I especially love how it can do humor on one page, and then jump to an emotional beat for the next, without losing anything. And the coloring changes for the flashback pages are a nice touch, too.

Apparently issue 1 sold out at the distributor level, hopefully it can keep that momentum going. This book definitely deserves it.

I've never been so happy to have been wrong about a series as I am with Q&W. It's a wonderful book, here's hoping for a long run.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
At least a third of today's issue belongs in the funny panels thread. I spent a few solid minutes laughing at them getting grossed out at their junk touching while under fire from the cops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I'll have to check it out. My Valiant reading has dropped down to just Archer and Armstrong at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I'll have to check it out. My Valiant reading has dropped down to just Archer and Armstrong at this point.

Really? I find the Valiant books pretty refreshing. They're great for getting the bad DC taste out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Really? I find the Valiant books pretty refreshing. They're great for getting the bad DC taste out.
I don't have to get the bad DC taste out because I don't read bad DC comics.

Granted, I probably would if I worked in a comic store, but I don't, and I'm sure as hell not paying for bad comics.

But yeah, I dunno. I slowly dropped the books as I lost interest, leaving A&A as the only one I'm reading.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As of right now, which Valiant series are worth getting into?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
My recommendations:

Archer & Armstrong, Quantum & Woody, and Harbinger are all great comics. The Harbinger Wars mini-series just wrapped up, and it was lots of fun, too.

Shadowman and X-O both had slow starts and strong second arcs. Bloodshot had a good first arc, an OK second arc, and was not very good during the Harbinger Wars tie-ins. It's getting a new writer soon.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
In addition to variants by Bryan Hitch, Travel Foreman, Paolo Rivera, and others, Valiant has just added a Unity #1 variant from famed artist and notorious lunatic Neal Adams.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I am really enjoying the Harbringer titles. Didn't much care for the other Valiant stuff. Dialogue is a little iffy here and there but the overall comic has enough character development, action and cool concepts to keep me going.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I am really enjoying the Harbringer titles. Didn't much care for the other Valiant stuff. Dialogue is a little iffy here and there but the overall comic has enough character development, action and cool concepts to keep me going.

Harbinger is probably my favorite Valiant title right now, but I think Quantum & Woody has a good chance of taking that spot.

Also, holy poo poo at the ending of the last issue of Harbinger.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman's new creative team has been unveiled: Peter Milligan on writing duties, and Roberto de la Torre on art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

Shadowman's new creative team has been unveiled: Peter Milligan on writing duties, and Roberto de la Torre on art.

Oh man, way to get me back onto the book Valiant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, way to get me back onto the book Valiant.
Seriously. Just gotta hope it's good Milligan not bad Milligan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Even bad Milligan is pretty alright. I will now be checking out Shadowman though.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Quantum & Woody continues to be one of the funniest books on the stand. My 4 bucks was worth it just for the homeless dude riding a shopping cart with Quantum's cape screaming "I'm the king of the world!".

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Big sale on Comixology through the weekend. Now to try and decide if Shadowman and/or X-O Manowar is worth picking up-any thoughts? I was underwhelmed with the previews of both books that I've read, but it sounds like the books may have gotten better?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman has been stagnant for a while, it probably wouldn't be worth hopping on until Milligan jumps onboard with #13.

X-O Manowar is pretty great, and plows full steam ahead right after the opening setup arc. I was turned off by the almost-nonsensical preview too, but it makes way more sense in context. Basically, if you wanna see Conan the Barbarian go nuts in an alien Iron Man armor, this is the book for you.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

X-O isn't in the top tier of Valiant's books for me, but it's been rock-solid and enjoyable throughout.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Thanks for the feedback, think I'll give X-O a shot, and leave Shadowman out for now. I'm guessing it'll probably go on sale again when they switch creative teams anyways; Valiant seems to be doing that sort of promotional pricing.

Also worth mentioning, issue number one of the original 1997 Quantum and Woody is free-not sure if that's part of the sale or not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Based on recommendations I got the first 15 or so X-O, and the first 10 harbinger. I've only just read 2/3rds of Manowar but I enjoy it. It's got elements of different series that I like and it blends them together, and it has characters that should be terrible by rights but actually okay. Although, there are these fascist overtones to it that I'm not really comfortable with. I mean, I get that he's a Visigoth but it still doesn't make him a particularly likable hero.

edit: Harbinger - What is this mind control rape bullshit!?! Who wrote this? Chris Claremont?

double edit: After thinking on it, I don't think it is explicitly suggested they had sex, but it certainly took me to a place I wasn't comfortable with. But I'm liking everything else so far.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 26, 2013

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Priest & Bright are back on Quantum and Woody for a five issue mini-series called "Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody" in the original continuity! Valiant are the best. :allears:
Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48361

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Priest & Bright are back on Quantum and Woody for a five issue mini-series called "Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody" in the original continuity! Valiant are the best. :allears:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! FAITH REWARDED!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That sounds awesome. I never read the original, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time it goes on sale on Comixology and get caught up.

Oh, and since nobody posted it yet, Eternal Warrior #5 will take place in the year 4001 and allow them to introduce the future characters like Rai and Future Force.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

That sounds awesome. I never read the original, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time it goes on sale on Comixology and get caught up.

Oh, and since nobody posted it yet, Eternal Warrior #5 will take place in the year 4001 and allow them to introduce the future characters like Rai and Future Force.

You really should check it out, Q&W is probably my favorite "buddy flick" of all time. And that EW news is also excellent.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Realtalk, Rhyno, would you call Quantum and Woody your favorite comic? Because I reread the original run basically due to you mentioning it constantly in glowing terms and I could see why it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Genetic Toaster posted:

This is the best news.

• Locked thread