Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Please sell me on Quantum and Woody, either the current version or the original series. I bought some Valiant comics back in the early '90s because Wizard Magazine told me to, and I was a middle schooler who got swept up in hype, but I never liked any of them. That was all far before the original Quantum and Woody series, which I always heard was an undiscovered highlight of the late '90s.

Some of my all-time favorite comics include the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI/JLA/JLE, Robinson's Starman, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Planetary, anything by Mike Allred and Darwyn Cooke, Ben Edlund's original Tick run, almost anything by Ed Brubaker, Bendis' first New Avengers run (up to Siege), Fraction's Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist, Vaughan's Y The Last Man and Saga, and Casey's Wildcats.

I typically like action-comedies and superhero comics with humor. So should I take the plunge? And if so, should I start with the Asmus run, or the upcoming TPB of the Priest/Bright run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

I think they ended all of them after 12 issues. Which is a shame because all three books were great.

I wasn't impressed with Magnus at all. Dynamite just seems to keep making GBS threads out a dozen new books every month, it's hard to believe any of it would be any good even with the creators attached to some of it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please sell me on Quantum and Woody, either the current version or the original series. I bought some Valiant comics back in the early '90s because Wizard Magazine told me to, and I was a middle schooler who got swept up in hype, but I never liked any of them. That was all far before the original Quantum and Woody series, which I always heard was an undiscovered highlight of the late '90s.

Some of my all-time favorite comics include the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI/JLA/JLE, Robinson's Starman, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Planetary, anything by Mike Allred and Darwyn Cooke, Ben Edlund's original Tick run, almost anything by Ed Brubaker, Bendis' first New Avengers run (up to Siege), Fraction's Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist, Vaughan's Y The Last Man and Saga, and Casey's Wildcats.

I typically like action-comedies and superhero comics with humor. So should I take the plunge? And if so, should I start with the Asmus run, or the upcoming TPB of the Priest/Bright run?

Have you read Archer and Armstrong? There are 5+ TPBs of that already out, and it seems to fit the action comedy mold.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rhyno posted:

So has Dynamite officially given up on their Gold Key line? Because from what my dude at Valiant told me, one year after the failure of the Dynamite line Valiant was going to enter talks to actually purchase Turok, Magnus and Solar.

I really hope this happens, both so Valiant can be fully free to reprint their 80's and 90's stuff, and so those guys can be added to the current version of the Valiant Universe(I'll admit without those guys it's been hard for me to get excited at all about the current universe, even if I do really like XO)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost always forget we have a Valiant thread here even though it's probably my favorite comic company going today by far. I know it's easier with a low output like they have, but I think every book they put out is good to great and extremely consistent. Their Valiant Summit today announced a lot of cool things coming out in the future. Can't wait. I'm going to try and remember we have this thread and post in it more because their great comics definitely deserve to be talked about.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I agree. For anyone just checking out this thread, there is a big Harbinger sale happening on Comixology. Excellent series, though I really dislike Peter. He pulls a really dick move in the first issue that makes sense if you are a teenager with his powers, but it makes him really unlikable for the entirety of the series. It fits into the whole 'who should I root for' vibe, and it is treated with respect, in my opinion. Especially in issue 24 where it comes up in a pivotal confrontation. It still could serve as a poor introduction.

Harada and the rest of the characters are top notch, and the 'perfect day' arc is most likely my favorite comic arc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Harada and the rest of the characters are top notch, and the 'perfect day' arc is most likely my favorite comic arc.

On that note Imperium has been good from what I've read and is pretty much all on sale and I think i'll start getting it regularly along with Ninjak and Bloodshot.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What's the reading order for Harbinger, especially with the Harbinger Wars? I've only read the Valiant, so I'm hoping to use the Harbinger sale to get in.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What's the reading order for Harbinger, especially with the Harbinger Wars? I've only read the Valiant, so I'm hoping to use the Harbinger sale to get in.

There are some tie ins with bloodshot, but they aren't completely necessary. I think it is as easy as reading the first Harbinger that falls in the arc, then reading the first Harbinger Wars, then the second of each, and so on. If you have the bloodshots from the sale a few months ago, you can inject them in there with the same pattern. Without it, you'll be missing a fight between Bloodshot and Harada, Bloodshot eating a cow, and how the kids got to the hotel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn Book of Death #1 was incredibly dope poo poo.

Also, Ninjak continues to be very good, although we're still just building characters right now, hopefully when we get them in play it'll be even better.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I want to get into Valiant but have no idea where to start. Is it a continuation of the old comics or more of a reboot? What are the main titles and how are they related? Most importantly, where should I start? It'd be great if there was some sort of beginners reading guide.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Pretty much a complete reboot.

Where to start depends on your interests. If you want a good 'backbone' of what is happening now as well as a sampling of characters, I recommend reading the 'the Valiant' four part mini series. It sets up the recent 'book of death' and 'bloodshot reborn' series. They will set up quite a bit of story going forward.

XO manowar, harbinger/imperium, and bloodshot are all long running series that frequently intersect one another storywise. So if you like big extended universes, any of those is a good starting point. You might need to Google reading orders when you hit the big events like harbinger wars or armor hunters, but otherwise collecting the trades is your best bet.

For 'independent' series that, while contributing to the universe, they are mostly independent, there is:

-Rai : a future samurai defends 'new Japan'. Beautiful unique art that still amazes me to this day.
- Ivar Timewalker : a dude who kinda is like Dr who travels through time via portals with a physicist pal to save the day. Lighthearted and relatively recent.
- Ninjak : a cross between Batman and James Bond is taking the out a weapons dealer. Also recent, so for some great spy /ninja action, this is great.
- Archer and Armstrong : a fantastic series that had 25 issues then a nice natural 'break' for the characters. They will be back, but the original run had some of the best stories in comics. You'll see the origin of the 'immortal' brothers Ivar (Timewalker who technically isn't immortal, but simply pops up via time portal whenever he wants), Gilad (eternal warrior) and Armstrong. Then the titular characters will take down cults of warrior nuns, fight aliens, ride dinosaurs, partner with biggie and Tupac, and generally be awesome. It is a great standalone series.
-Bloodshot Reborn: this is how you reboot a character without completely erasing his history! The original 25 bloodshot issues are good, but it is generally agreed that there wasn't really anywhere to go with the character, so it was getting a bit stale near the end. Then the events of the Valiant happened, and essentially a human bloodshot needs to find his identity in the world while reconciling his past as a weapon, and tracking down the culprits of a string of shootings happening by people dressed up like bloodshot. Relatively recent so easy to catch up on, it is a really good gritty story.

There are more, but I'll wait to hear what you are interested in.

Valiant did a humble bundle with a bunch of trades a while back, and they frequently have sales on comixology on complete series. Starting light on new stuff and waiting for a sale to binge on older series might be a good decision financially.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I agree with everything that has been said.

X-O is the corner stone of the who shebang, and most things interact/spin off that.

As for recent stuff, Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn are both 4 issues deep, great, and easy to pick up and I wholeheartedly recommend them both.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I really like Giffen/DeMatteis JL* too, and I think that the original Priest/Bright Quantum & Woody was a worthy successor/companion to that run. I haven't really gotten past the first few issues of Asmus's Q&W, but to me it felt like some of the post-JLI stuff with Booster and Beetle and company, in that it went from "here are some superheroes who do some silly stuff sometimes but they're competent heroes at the end of the day who annoy each other and their team but are still valued friends and teammates" to "LOOK AT THESE DUMB JERKS, BEING DUMB. CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW DUMB THEY ARE? LOL THESE GUYS SURE ARE DUMB AND MEAN AND PEOPLE HATE THEM, CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY'RE SUPERHEROES? HA HA!"

A lot of people like the Asmus series and this may be entirely my own old-man nostalgia for the tone of the original series. Seconding the recommendation of Archer & Armstrong/Ivar though.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

X-O is the corner stone of the who shebang, and most things interact/spin off that.

I disagree with this. There was the unity arc, and of course the armor hunters, but otherwise X-O is mostly independent. From planet death to dead hand to armarines, he is kinda doing his own thing now that he realizes that there is no going back.

Valiant has been doing a good job at spreading around the crossovers and important things. I would say that the big events (harbinger wars, armor hunters, the valiant, and now the book of death) are more of the corner stones, but ultimately each series tells a lot about a little corner of the valiant universe (except for maybe Quantum and Woody).

For example, Shadowman, even though I didn't like the story and thought it was a bit weak, established the supernatural side of the valiant universe that pops up from time to time in all sorts of series. XO establishes the 'alien' side of things that also pops up all the time in almost everything. Archer and Armstrong establish a lot about the various secret societies and how they have been affecting the world, which in turn ties in with the supernatural and aliens. Harbinger and bloodshot both have run ins with the secret societies and aliens, but don't really deal with the supernatural. However they discuss the whole 'psiot' portion of the universe that ties into pretty much every series.

Everything ties into each other in a really cool mostly coherent way. It can be a bit intimidating for new readers, which is why 'start with what interests you' is the best advice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I really like Giffen/DeMatteis JL* too, and I think that the original Priest/Bright Quantum & Woody was a worthy successor/companion to that run. I haven't really gotten past the first few issues of Asmus's Q&W, but to me it felt like some of the post-JLI stuff with Booster and Beetle and company, in that it went from "here are some superheroes who do some silly stuff sometimes but they're competent heroes at the end of the day who annoy each other and their team but are still valued friends and teammates" to "LOOK AT THESE DUMB JERKS, BEING DUMB. CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW DUMB THEY ARE? LOL THESE GUYS SURE ARE DUMB AND MEAN AND PEOPLE HATE THEM, CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY'RE SUPERHEROES? HA HA!"

A lot of people like the Asmus series and this may be entirely my own old-man nostalgia for the tone of the original series. Seconding the recommendation of Archer & Armstrong/Ivar though.

Thank you! I recently got the first Asmus Quantum & Woody TPB, and I agree with you for the most part. It was entertaining, but I don't know if I want to rush out and pick up the others. Maybe if the interior art had been as good as the cover art, that would have helped. I'm still very interested in reading Priest's run, and I've been trying to get that Omnibus as an interlibrary loan for a while now, to no avail. The first TPB from the new Valiant print run has been delayed until January, but if it's that good, I don't mind waiting longer.

I'll see if I can get Archer and Armstrong as an interlibrary loan in the meantime.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Pretty much a complete reboot.

Thanks for that super useful post, that's exactly the kind of overview I was looking for. I read The Valiant over the last couple days and I see why you recommended it as a starting place. The dynamic between Bloodshot and Kay was one of the most interesting things to me so I'm using Comixology to read Bloodshot Reborn and it's indeed great.

Aside from that, I'm most curious about Archer and Armstrong, Rai, Imperium, and Divinity. The latter two sound like the kind of bonkers sci-fi I really like.

So far, the universe has a different feel than Marvel or DC. Not sure how to describe it, it feels more "classical" without being old-fashioned or stodgy.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

nemesis_hub posted:

Imperium, and Divinity.

The comic that got me into Valiant is Divinity. It's pretty stand-alone, though some of it will make a bit more sense if you've ready Unity. Imperium is also really good, but keep in mind that it's basically directly continuing from Harbinger, so you might want to read that first. It also references XO Man-O-War a bit as well.

Basically all of the new Valiant stuff has been pretty great. They're basically the only comics I have subscriptions to on Comixology.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Fall of Bloodshot is excellent. Big spoilers for the issue ahead, but if you haven't read it, drop everything and give it a read.

Essentially, it is Bloodshot reminiscing about his life. In the future, he essentially replaces Turok as a Dino hunter , fights in robot wars, becomes a robot king, roams the seas as a pirate with Armstrong, joins an Eskimo tribe, and more. All of this happens in no particular order, and there are other mentions of wars and conflicts happening. Then he essentially dies of old age with a dog friend.

Holy cow so much awesomeness crammed into a single issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just picked up the second XO hardcover and let me tell you, this would be a far better book if Doug Braithwait hadn't poo poo all over the Unity issues. How this guy keeps getting work it beyond me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So if Valiant were to get the rights back for the Gold Key characters(Solar, Turok, and Magnus Robot Fighter), how would you want to see them integrated into the current Valiant Universe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

So if Valiant were to get the rights back for the Gold Key characters(Solar, Turok, and Magnus Robot Fighter), how would you want to see them integrated into the current Valiant Universe?

I loved the Acclaim use of Solar, a similar approach would be excellent Magnus could be from an alternate future as Rai, two timelines in competition to exist or something. Ad back to Acclaim again, the way they reimagined the Turok character as a mantle passed down through the ages was fantastic.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Bloodshot will become both a Dino hunter and robot hunter.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Bloodshot will become both a Dino hunter and robot hunter.

I.... I'm okay with this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If Solar came back wouldn't he kind of automatically become the most powerful character in that universe? There are other characters with powers, but they're more... grounded in street level let's say.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

If Solar came back wouldn't he kind of automatically become the most powerful character in that universe? There are other characters with powers, but they're more... grounded in street level let's say.

Wasn't that mostly the case with the old Valiant Universe as well?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Fall of Bloodshot is excellent. Big spoilers for the issue ahead, but if you haven't read it, drop everything and give it a read.

Essentially, it is Bloodshot reminiscing about his life. In the future, he essentially replaces Turok as a Dino hunter , fights in robot wars, becomes a robot king, roams the seas as a pirate with Armstrong, joins an Eskimo tribe, and more. All of this happens in no particular order, and there are other mentions of wars and conflicts happening. Then he essentially dies of old age with a dog friend.

Holy cow so much awesomeness crammed into a single issue.

Yeah i finally remembered to pick this up. Another really great issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been reading a few books from the beginning again and my love for Archer and Armstrong is only getting stronger. I know from the ads in the recent FCBD issue that new volumes of A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Harbinger are coming. Have creative teams been announced yet? I hope Van Lente is back on A&A again. I'd be surprised if Dysart isn't on Harbinger as well since he's pretty much been doing all the related spinoff titles since it ended as well.

Also I guess I'm going to have to break down and spend absurds amount of money for the Geomancer tie-ins for Book of Death since I've learned they will not ever be collected and there's not going to be a digital release either. What a dumb move. I hope this isn't a sign that Valiant is going with more dumb gimmicks again like they did in the '90s. Ridiculously rare books that are never to be collected or sold in anything but floppy format is just dumb.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is the new Eternal Warrior is Vendetti

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Also I guess I'm going to have to break down and spend absurds amount of money for the Geomancer tie-ins for Book of Death since I've learned they will not ever be collected and there's not going to be a digital release either. What a dumb move. I hope this isn't a sign that Valiant is going with more dumb gimmicks again like they did in the '90s. Ridiculously rare books that are never to be collected or sold in anything but floppy format is just dumb.

Wait, what?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Wait, what?

I figured you being a retailer would have known this.

quote:

BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER #1

Out of the pages of BOOK OF DEATH, the genesis of the very first Geomancer and the sacred pact that swore them to the service of the Earth can finally be told…but, with it too, the source of the divine mysteries that have haunted their line for centuries. Has their mission redeemed or corrupted the world that followed in their wake…and will the ultimate secrets of the Geomancers’ book doom us all in the end?

Created specifically to promote Valiant's upcoming BOOK OF DEATH event, BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER will expand the mythology of BOOK OF DEATH's central character – a newly appointed Geomancer, the latest in a long line of mystics that speak for the Earth and shape the course of history – and chronicle the first appearance of the founder of her kind…Anni, the very first Geomancer!

“LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER is designed to be something special and something distinct from your typical ‘event’ tie-in story,” added Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. “This is a little known story, the history of which is only known to a select few of the most important players in the Valiant Universe, and it’s telling will mirror its method of distribution. This will be a rare series that we hope fans will seek, much as they did decades ago for tales like the original HARBINGER #0.”

A special, retailer-incentive limited series, all four issues of BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER will be printed in limited quantities and will only be made available to retailers who qualify based on their orders of BOOK OF DEATH #1-4. Fans interested in obtaining this special incentive limited series should contact their local comics retailer to pre-order their copy before the May 28th initial order date for BOOK OF DEATH #1 (of 4).

Stores only get one issue for like every 25 they order and the book is not being collected in trades or released digitally. The first issue is going for something like $40-$50 for like an 18 page story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

I figured you being a retailer would have known this.

Stores only get one issue for like every 25 they order and the book is not being collected in trades or released digitally. The first issue is going for something like $40-$50 for like an 18 page story.

I never saw anything where it was never going to be reprinted in a trade. I guess I should have jacked the price up a bit more!

Edit: :10bux: says they release a limited HC of it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, I'm not normally a variant cover guy unless the original cover looks terrible, but some of these Valiant ones have looked really good.

Especially that retro Bloodshot #5

:argh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 11, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm about to start Armor Hunters on my re-read and really everything is even better the second time through I think. I think the only thing in the whole line I don't absolutely love is Peter Milligan's Shadowman, and that's just kind of mediocre. I liked Justin Jordan's take much more. Was there some kind of falling out there? I ask because pretty much every other title has a consistent writer except Shadowman, after the 12th issue they do a few weird one off issues and then Milligan takes over and it's just not as good.

I own all of A&A and the first four volumes of X-O in TPB, the rest I only own on Comixology. Anyone have any of the deluxe hardcovers? Are they well made? I'm thinking about buying the entire line in hardcover. Mostly I just own trades and have kind of given up on them even outside of my favorite titles in favor of digital only, but I'm so into Valiant right now I feel I can justify buying all the hardcovers since they seem to be really well priced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have all the HCs except Shadowman and they're easily on par with the Marvel OSHCs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Archer and Armstrong comixology sale, 99c issues and a 28 issue bundle for :20bux:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LordPants posted:

Archer and Armstrong comixology sale, 99c issues and a 28 issue bundle for :20bux:

I got this, it owned, Valiant owns.

Buuuut...I've never read Q&W so am I going to spoil stuff or be confused reading Delinquents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Buuuut...I've never read Q&W

You're a terrible person then. Fact.

• Locked thread