Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

bad day posted:

I was in middle school when Valiant started and began collecting them around the time X-O Manowar came out. It was a weird phenomenon because at that time collectors were buying comics by the fistful and early Valiant issues became very expensive due to their rarity. Trade paperbacks hadn't become big (printing was still done manually) and digital wasn't even a thing yet so you actually had to buy the comics in order to read them. I remember Rai #4 was the most expensive comic around for a while, simply due to the fact that it had an extremely low print run (Rai wasn't a very good comic book).

Anyway people started buying multiples of Valiant comics because the early issues were so sought-after (Rai #4 = $500 therefore Bloodshot #0 = $5000, right?) and the comics themselves never really warranted that kind of popularity. I swear if they had just chugged along without the hype and kept producing a small number of quality comics, Valiant would have survived the crash and produced massive, elaborate, well-planned storylines like Unity. They would have been magnificent.
This makes me laugh because I very much remember this little phenomena. My older brother has always been very investment-focused to say the least. He plays with real investments now and does very well, but in high school his investments were many of these early Valiant comics like you've mentioned. I still don't know if he ever really liked the comics, or if he just enjoyed collecting and seeing them as an investment; I was always the reader.

To this day I still have a few boxes of his filled with nothing but early issues of XO, Turok, Rai, Bloodshot and a lot of early stuff from Image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

bad day posted:

If you wanted to make money off of comics in the early 90's, the best thing to do would have been buying massive amounts of late run Transformers and GI Joe comics, because both series had astoundingly low print runs leading up to their cancellation. To this day the most expensive Marvel Transformers comic is the last issue.
That's delightfully ironic because I had tons of the GIJoe comics from the 80s and 90s, but given that I was younger and more of the reader of the two, most of those are not in the mint shape his Valiant comics are. Think I still have a handful of the Joe comics in good shape but I haven't looked at them in a long time. (not that I'd sell them)

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 1, 2012

• Locked thread