Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As of right now, which Valiant series are worth getting into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Based on recommendations I got the first 15 or so X-O, and the first 10 harbinger. I've only just read 2/3rds of Manowar but I enjoy it. It's got elements of different series that I like and it blends them together, and it has characters that should be terrible by rights but actually okay. Although, there are these fascist overtones to it that I'm not really comfortable with. I mean, I get that he's a Visigoth but it still doesn't make him a particularly likable hero.

edit: Harbinger - What is this mind control rape bullshit!?! Who wrote this? Chris Claremont?

double edit: After thinking on it, I don't think it is explicitly suggested they had sex, but it certainly took me to a place I wasn't comfortable with. But I'm liking everything else so far.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 26, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Harbinger Wars - Harbinger - Bloodshot, as far as I know.

I'm up to date with X-0 now and got the first issue of unity too :toot:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should read probably read Harbinger and X-O before Unity and Harbinger Wars

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
X-0 was like one of the first titles released and it is definitely stand alone for quite a while. The whole Unity thing comes a lot later from memory.

edit: Issue #19 to be precise.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably going to get Ninjak and Bloodshot when they drop because I really have to stop giving Valiant the short shrift by buying all their stuff on sale on comixology.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Preaching to the choir, but Ninjak is really great and I recommend picking it up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

HARBINGER WARS

UNITY

ARMOR HUNTERS

THE VALIANT

BOOK OF DEATH

Valiant announced something called the Book of Death.

I'm just gonna assume it's a new Mini :toot:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some of those covers/promos look really awesome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bloodshot Reborn #1 is predictably really great. I hope these things are selling okay because they've been cool as all getup.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Harada and the rest of the characters are top notch, and the 'perfect day' arc is most likely my favorite comic arc.

On that note Imperium has been good from what I've read and is pretty much all on sale and I think i'll start getting it regularly along with Ninjak and Bloodshot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn Book of Death #1 was incredibly dope poo poo.

Also, Ninjak continues to be very good, although we're still just building characters right now, hopefully when we get them in play it'll be even better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I agree with everything that has been said.

X-O is the corner stone of the who shebang, and most things interact/spin off that.

As for recent stuff, Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn are both 4 issues deep, great, and easy to pick up and I wholeheartedly recommend them both.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

Bloodshot will become both a Dino hunter and robot hunter.

I.... I'm okay with this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Fall of Bloodshot is excellent. Big spoilers for the issue ahead, but if you haven't read it, drop everything and give it a read.

Essentially, it is Bloodshot reminiscing about his life. In the future, he essentially replaces Turok as a Dino hunter , fights in robot wars, becomes a robot king, roams the seas as a pirate with Armstrong, joins an Eskimo tribe, and more. All of this happens in no particular order, and there are other mentions of wars and conflicts happening. Then he essentially dies of old age with a dog friend.

Holy cow so much awesomeness crammed into a single issue.

Yeah i finally remembered to pick this up. Another really great issue.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is the new Eternal Warrior is Vendetti

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, I'm not normally a variant cover guy unless the original cover looks terrible, but some of these Valiant ones have looked really good.

Especially that retro Bloodshot #5

:argh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 11, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Archer and Armstrong comixology sale, 99c issues and a 28 issue bundle for :20bux:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genetic Toaster posted:

I fell off of Valiant hard after Harbinger Wars. The stories were still great, but I got burned out following everything a single publisher was putting out.

I kept up with Quantum & Woody and the Delinquents, but is there anything essential I've missed?

Valiant -> Book of Death

Ninjak

Bloodshot Reborn

And I really like Imperium but that might just be me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up on some stuff.

Ninjak #5 - great.

Bloodshot #5 - great.

Book of Death #2 - great.

Guys, I really like valiant.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They really punch above their weight.

As far as I know, the only title that under performs is Unity, which just hasn't seem to have caught on for whatever reason.

Book of Death #1 sold like, 60,000 copies or something, and their trades often sell well also.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

We could, and we should, but we won't.

:rolleyes:

;)

X-O posted:

I'm going to make a new thread in the next day or two with an updated OP running down all the books and properties from Valiant so that any new people might have a good idea of what's available and what follows what. If anyone has any suggestions or title ideas now's the time to post them.

Valiant 2015 - Nanomachines, Son.

(That's a terrible title but the only thing I could think of except for something like "Jim Shooter Did Nothing Wrong"

Also: can't wait for the new thread. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tell you what, one of the things I like about Ninjak is how the backup is serving as like a greater arc that ties everything in the main story together.

Book of Death: Ninjak wasn't as great as the bloodshot one, and it exposed kindt's annoying habit of "oh no, they had done their super impossible to defeat thing! But little did they know I had already preempted that previously off panel and I was totally ready for that!!!" something about that style of storytelling feels childish I guess. What is the point of creating an obstacle for your hero if your hero has already overcome it without telling us?

Anyway, ninjak is still great, I love it.

• Locked thread