Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I just discovered these comics, and for the most part I'm really impressed at how good they are. I've picked up the first two of each series (except Shadowman, which just released its first). Archer & Armstrong is my favorite, Harbinger is also good, and Bloodshot is already way better than I'd expect a comic called "Bloodshot" to be.

My main question is: does X-O Manowar get better? It's getting rave reviews, but two issues in and I don't have much of a feeling for who he is and what he does. Is he just a Visigoth warlord, or is there more to him? Can anyone tell me whether or not it's worth reading further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
That's some good advice. I'll finish the first arc, then!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Comixology is having a $0.99 Black Friday sale on both old and new Valiant issues. I don't see this week's releases included, but everything else is there!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I've been re-reading Harbinger, and I can't believe I just now made a connection between the Bleeding Monk's non-healing chest wound and Bloodshot's non-healing chest wound. Was there any connection between those two in the original series, or is this something new?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Kikkoman posted:

I just bought Harbinger 1-8 and Bloodshot 1-8 for a buck an issue on Comixology. That was surprisingly good stuff! I'm definitely hooked for the Harbinger War event, but isn't 4 bucks an issue a bit much? I guess I'll keep up with it a month late just so I can get the dollar rebate on digital issues.

$4 per issue is a bit much, especially when the trades all seem to be $10 for four-issue arcs. I'm hoping the price will go down as they get more customers and series going.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
My recommendations:

Archer & Armstrong, Quantum & Woody, and Harbinger are all great comics. The Harbinger Wars mini-series just wrapped up, and it was lots of fun, too.

Shadowman and X-O both had slow starts and strong second arcs. Bloodshot had a good first arc, an OK second arc, and was not very good during the Harbinger Wars tie-ins. It's getting a new writer soon.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I will miss Bloodshot. He was surprisingly sympathetic, and the HC guys were a fun bunch.

As much as I like Harbinger, I'm glad that they have an end in mind - they couldn't have dragged out the Renegades/Harada conflict for much longer, really.

Shadowman? Well, I liked Master Darque.. that's about it.

I'm glad to hear everything else is going to stay.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Bloodshot is not canceled!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/15/valiants-bloodshot-will-return-in-october/

Now we all just need to keep our fingers crossed for Eternal Warrior...

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Sweet, a Bloodshot movie! I can't help but imagine it as an 80's style action movie, what with the gunplay, gore, and near-immortal protagonist. I just hope they can manage to make him sympathetic in the process.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
More info on the Lemire/Rivera/Kindt comic:

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/lemire-kindt-and-riveras-valiant-book-revealed-the-valiant/

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I did not expect The Valiant #4 to end the way it did. Mainly, I'm kind of sad that (BIG SPOILER) Kay McHenry is dead. She was a fun character in her debut in A&A, and I'd hoped that we would see more of her.

Also, what the heck was Palmer doing at the funeral? In full HARD Corps regalia, no less.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Given the prominence of Shadowman and Punk Mambo in the picture, this is probably going to be an attempt to revitalize the supernatural corner of the Valiant U. As long as they don't put Milligan on it, I'm game.

Punk Mambo was a fun comic, but everything else Milligan has done for this company has been regrettable at best.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
New Book of Death info!
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/valiant-announces-their-newest-event-book-of-death/1100-151913/

So, it's not supernatural after all.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Those are certainly the safest choices, given what the current cinema landscape looks like right now. I was more excited by the A&A and Shadowman announcements - at least those properties are obviously different than other recent comic book movies.

Instead, we'll be getting movies about a school for kids with powers, and a spinoff about an unkillable former soldier with memory problems.

(Seriously, I love Harbinger and Bloodshot, but Sony has their work cut out for them if they want these films to appear distinct.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The main villain of Book of Death has been revealed. SPOILERS.

I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Shadowman is coming back, in Ninjak's comics: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/01/shadowman-valiant-operation-deadside. Will Jack Boniface become an interesting character, at last?

• Locked thread