Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, I am gonna buy the poo poo out of these books. I was a pretty huge Valiant fan back in the day. I had the full runs of Solar, X-O, Magnus, Ninjak, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warriors, and Harbringer. The other titles I didn't care that much for, but I'll definitely check out the Bloodshot revival too. I hope they bring Ninjak back eventually. I don't care which version either, I liked both the Valiant and Acclaim versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is the best news. And it's the Colin King version, awesome. I liked both, but I enjoyed the Colin King version much more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't really posted in this thread since I heard about the relaunch but between TPBs and Comixology I've finally caught up with every single series Valiant is putting out and I really like them all. I know it's only a handful of titles but this is really the first time I've been invested in a company like this before. Literally everything they're putting out is really good. At least in my opinion. I think my favorites are probably Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Quantum & Woody. But I really do sincerely like every title they're putting out. With this solid of a track record I can wait to see what the next title to come out is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is the Valiant starter bundle worth getting? I've never read any of their comics before, but it's the first 4-5 issues of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman and A&A for $30, which is a really good deal.

Yes. Definitely get it. Harbinger is kind of tough to get through in the beginning because the main character is a pretty lovely person, but it's one of my favorites now. Especially after they flesh out the rest of the cast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they ended all of them after 12 issues. Which is a shame because all three books were great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost always forget we have a Valiant thread here even though it's probably my favorite comic company going today by far. I know it's easier with a low output like they have, but I think every book they put out is good to great and extremely consistent. Their Valiant Summit today announced a lot of cool things coming out in the future. Can't wait. I'm going to try and remember we have this thread and post in it more because their great comics definitely deserve to be talked about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been reading a few books from the beginning again and my love for Archer and Armstrong is only getting stronger. I know from the ads in the recent FCBD issue that new volumes of A&A, Eternal Warrior, and Harbinger are coming. Have creative teams been announced yet? I hope Van Lente is back on A&A again. I'd be surprised if Dysart isn't on Harbinger as well since he's pretty much been doing all the related spinoff titles since it ended as well.

Also I guess I'm going to have to break down and spend absurds amount of money for the Geomancer tie-ins for Book of Death since I've learned they will not ever be collected and there's not going to be a digital release either. What a dumb move. I hope this isn't a sign that Valiant is going with more dumb gimmicks again like they did in the '90s. Ridiculously rare books that are never to be collected or sold in anything but floppy format is just dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Wait, what?

I figured you being a retailer would have known this.

quote:

BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER #1

Out of the pages of BOOK OF DEATH, the genesis of the very first Geomancer and the sacred pact that swore them to the service of the Earth can finally be told…but, with it too, the source of the divine mysteries that have haunted their line for centuries. Has their mission redeemed or corrupted the world that followed in their wake…and will the ultimate secrets of the Geomancers’ book doom us all in the end?

Created specifically to promote Valiant's upcoming BOOK OF DEATH event, BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER will expand the mythology of BOOK OF DEATH's central character – a newly appointed Geomancer, the latest in a long line of mystics that speak for the Earth and shape the course of history – and chronicle the first appearance of the founder of her kind…Anni, the very first Geomancer!

“LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER is designed to be something special and something distinct from your typical ‘event’ tie-in story,” added Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. “This is a little known story, the history of which is only known to a select few of the most important players in the Valiant Universe, and it’s telling will mirror its method of distribution. This will be a rare series that we hope fans will seek, much as they did decades ago for tales like the original HARBINGER #0.”

A special, retailer-incentive limited series, all four issues of BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER will be printed in limited quantities and will only be made available to retailers who qualify based on their orders of BOOK OF DEATH #1-4. Fans interested in obtaining this special incentive limited series should contact their local comics retailer to pre-order their copy before the May 28th initial order date for BOOK OF DEATH #1 (of 4).

Stores only get one issue for like every 25 they order and the book is not being collected in trades or released digitally. The first issue is going for something like $40-$50 for like an 18 page story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm about to start Armor Hunters on my re-read and really everything is even better the second time through I think. I think the only thing in the whole line I don't absolutely love is Peter Milligan's Shadowman, and that's just kind of mediocre. I liked Justin Jordan's take much more. Was there some kind of falling out there? I ask because pretty much every other title has a consistent writer except Shadowman, after the 12th issue they do a few weird one off issues and then Milligan takes over and it's just not as good.

I own all of A&A and the first four volumes of X-O in TPB, the rest I only own on Comixology. Anyone have any of the deluxe hardcovers? Are they well made? I'm thinking about buying the entire line in hardcover. Mostly I just own trades and have kind of given up on them even outside of my favorite titles in favor of digital only, but I'm so into Valiant right now I feel I can justify buying all the hardcovers since they seem to be really well priced.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Buuuut...I've never read Q&W

You're a terrible person then. Fact.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Look I just found out Valiant even existed like a month ago.

Quantum and Woody is one of the shorter series. It has 12 regular issues, a 0 issue about The Goat, a giant sized special, and a four issue mini. Do not, DO NOT, read the continuation of the original series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Nah, I read all my stuff digitally. Anyway I went ahead and picked up the whole Q&W 2012 series and the followup, it was only about $45. So I'm sure it'll be on sale next week.

You're getting close to the whole line now aren't you? Soon you'll be one of the very few of us. On my re-read through all of it my favorite book seems to change every other arc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Well, I'm just reading the 2012 and later stuff, so I need XO, Ninjak, Shadowman, Rai, Unity, Bloodshot and then all the relaunches and events so....no. But I do plan on getting everything eventually, I just need to be better about waiting for sales. To me the series get better and better, like Harbinger was great but Imperium is loving awesome. A&A was fantastic but Ivar is crazy good. How is every person that reads cape books not all over this company?

That I could not tell you man. I think for a 25 issue and out run, that Archer and Armstrong might be the my favorite limited book of all time. I love it that much. I've read a number that were better, but nothing that had the fun and adventure and just overall joy that book had. X-O is probably my favorite Valiant series, surprise, just because it's just the steady rock of quality comics storytelling. It's the only book that hasn't spun off into another title or cut it's run short. It just keeps telling a great story. Bloodshot is like the book that keeps being relaunched into something better every time. Duane Swierczynski started it off as a great solo book then intersected it with Harbinger to bring in a whole bunch of other elements and eventually turned it into a team book with HARD Corps which was even better. And now Jeff Lemire has turned the whole thing on its head and is writing one of the best books of 2015 with Bloodshot Reborn. Then you have other titles like Imperium and the completely new Divinity which are amazing. And as you said Ivar is right up there with the best stuff coming out today. It's a pretty goddamn amazing company.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed the Justin Jordan issues at the beginning of Shadowman but after they switched up and brought Milligan on I think it took a sharp dive. It wasn't bad but it was the very definition of mediocre and forgetful. Honestly I even skipped the last couple issues and the End Times mini on my re-read.

EDIT: Oh and the Punk Mambo one shot. I did NOT like that. I think it was the only really bad thing they've done in the new continuity and I always forget about it because I try to. I also don't like the character.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Rai continues to be gorgeous and should be as long as Clayton Crain stays on the book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valiant is doing fine. They've been wise not to overextend themselves into putting too many titles out and instead keeping everything pretty small scale.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I completed my re-read through all the tiles this morning. Ending right before The Valiant as everything from there on is too recent and fresh in my mind to be part of the re-read. As a title Archer & Armstrong is still my favorite, Van Lente created something really special there. I so hope that the relaunch is Van Lente and Pere Perez. They did great things together on that book. I think my favorite arc of all Valiant so far is the second arc of Eternal Warrior by Greg Pak that's set in 4001 A.D. dealing with Gilad and his granddaughter. It's an amazingly thoughtful and well done standalone story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it's really good.

I'm going to make a new thread in the next day or two with an updated OP running down all the books and properties from Valiant so that any new people might have a good idea of what's available and what follows what. If anyone has any suggestions or title ideas now's the time to post them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We could, and we should, but we won't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Truck of salt required, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that among the relaunches set for later this year (Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong) we'll also be getting a new Shadowman book by a new creative team. A new creative team means it's probably not Peter Milligan which is all I'm asking for because I thought his Shadowman stunk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Has Milligan written anything good in the last 10 years?

Well stunk is a relative term in this case. It was ok as far as comics go, but comparing it to everything else that Valiant was putting out at the time it was definitely the lesser of the books. But come to think of it I'm not sure I've read anything else of his since the Dead Girl spinoff years ago. I know he had a run on X-Men at one point but I never read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

No Q&W? :O(

Also are all those relaunching under new teams? Are Ivar and Imperium are ending?

Eternal Warrior is the only one known at this point. Venditti (X-O Manowar) is writing and Raul Allen is on art. Imperium and Ivar are starting new arcs soon, so I think they'll be around at least through issue 12 of each if not longer. Though Ivar is building to the Ending History story which sounds ominous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

If the relaunches are later this year, they they'd have to be in next month's solicits huh? November solicits came out last week.

Well Eternal Warrior is already solicited for November. I'm guessing they'll drop a new one in December as well and hold off the rest until 2016.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they could sustain three monthlies every week, but they also seem content to use the same talent on the properties in order to build a cohesive universe so I'm not sure with the just that brain trust of writers you can sustain that many books. Especially when most of them are doing other things outside of Valiant as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I always though Imperium was more of a detour before going back to Harbinger. Wouldn't surprise me at all if ended after 12 issues to make way for a new Harbinger by Dysart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's a lot of great comics for such a cheap price. For $15 bucks you'd be dumb not get that even if you have a few already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

With Matt Kindt writing him I'm sure he will. Justin Jordan did well with him. I'm more interested in seeing if Kindt can actually make Punk Mambo not terrible. That would be a real miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New thread incoming.

• Locked thread