Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rotinaj posted:

Archer and Armstrong was awesome back in the day. I need that comic.

I got to hang out with the Valiant crew for an extended time at C2E2 and if half the poo poo they have planned pans out we are in for some awesome comics.

And this week they just dropped the Ninjak teaser which will be book #6 after Eternal Warrior.

There's also an unfounded rumor that Dark Hose will not be extending their Gold Key license and that while Valiant is not interested in adding them to their current publishing line it will open the door to print collections of the entire original Valiant Universe including a planned oversized Unity hardcover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benny the Snake posted:

So who's got the Turok license now? Has it reverted back to Valiant? I'm really looking forward to a Turok relaunch.

Dark Horse holds it until the end of this year but Valiant has already stated they are not interested in licensing properties this time around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Weatherman posted:

Thirding this. Holy poo poo was I happy when I finally tracked down the last issues I was missing from the entire run. (And some Ebay person I bought a bunch from threw in a Christopher Priest-signed black and white proof copy of #1, hooray.)

At the very least I want them to publish the "missing" issues -- you know, they got cancelled once, and then when they started printing again they released an issue that was eight or nine ahead of where they'd been at cancellation time? Then they went back to fill in the gap, but never made it before they got cancelled again.

I doubt we'll ever get that version of Q&W because it was so closely tied into the Acclaim comics at the time. If and when we do see a return it will undoubtedly be a total relaunch. I know ten years ago Priest wanted to go back to them but who knows what he would want to do now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Birthquake actually brought a bunch of new talent back onto the books but it was too late, sales were in the shitter. That lead to the Acclaim relaunch which was overall very enjoyable.

And they may not currently be able to physically reprint some of the books, they are going to be available in digital (if not already).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I know a young Alex Maleev worked for Armada/Acclaim in 1994. Could that be some of his earliest american work?

He drew a few Magic the Gathering comics and I thought those were his first comics ever, american or not. Does he have previous work I was unaware of?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Won't happen. They're not using the Gold Key characters.

I have made really good friends with one of the guys at Valiant, we hung out at C2E2 and they had a presence at our local con earlier this year. So let me say this.

Endless Mike posted:

They're not using the Gold Key characters.

Not yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Reading this, Rich? ;)

I bet he is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mints posted:

I think they got rid of Shooter before they became the biggest indie, I seem to remember his term ending not long after Unity.

Correct, he was out long before Acclaim came into the picture.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meltor posted:

So Acclaim actually made them more popular? Have I been wrong all these years about this?

My paradigm! It's shifting!

Honestly the only good thing about the Acclaim deal was us getting Quantum and Woody.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meltor posted:

That's the one where they have to fistbump each day or they become intangible right?

Because if so, that was a pretty awesome book. Now I hope they reboot that.

They became linked together in a shared energy pool that required their quantum bands to come into contact once every 24 hours in order to keep themselves from dissipating.

So yeah, fistbump.

Love that book, I hope they give Priest and Bright a chance if they do bring it back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

brianerickson posted:

Went to Baltimore Comic Con this past weekend, and Valiant had their first big public event as part of the mainstream comic consciousness again

Went to the panel they had too; it was pretty rad when they announced the return of the Eternal Warrior

They said it was the first? I attended a Valiant panel at C2E2, it wasn't huge but it was all Valiant. WEIRD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is something. Valiant is sponsoring the US Luge team and they will be sporting X-O Manowar inspired uniforms.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/valiant-sponsors-u-s-luge-team-designs-x-o-manowar-uniforms/

quote:

In what The Wall Street characterizes as a low six-figure deal, Valiant Entertainment has signed as a sponsor of USA Luge for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The comics publisher has also designed the team’s uniform to look like the armor of X-O Manowar.

“The sponsorship is going to help the team in a couple of ways,” explained Gordy Sheer, USA Luge’s director of marketing. “… They’ll look good and they’ll feel fast, but also Valiant is helping the team with financial support. We’re a small sport, and every bit of help that we get is absolutely meaningful and directly affects our ability to perform.”

In the video below, Wall Street Journal reporter John Jurgensen notes that while movie studios (including DC Comics parent company Warner Bros.) routinely promote projects through NASCAR sponsorships, this appears to be the first time a company has used a national athletic team to advertise a character.

“For Valiant the idea is to kind of become a household name,” Jurgensen said. The publisher relaunched its comics line in May, with X-O Manowar as its flagship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Priest had a lot written from what I remember but this is the first I've heard of anything actually having been drawn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Bleeding cool, grain of salt, etc. but Quantum and Woody are coming back in July!

If there's no Priest and Bright it's not even worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's not Priest and Bright :smith:, but I'll take it: James Asmus and Tom Fowler on Quantum and Woody.

Nope. Not even a little interested without Priest and Doc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also all five Valiant #1's are now available in $1 reprint editions so you have no excuse for not checking them out! There's even a bundle of all five that saves you a nickel!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was also used to unify (hence the name) all the books into one universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As a store we have so much faith in the quality of the new Valiant that in March we had the XO and Harbinger trades for $5 each and this month we're selling the $5 pack of #1's for $2.99.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

That's pretty awesome. My shop orders 2 copies per title to cover their pull list customers and spends the rest of the time loudly joking "what's next, is Malibu gonna make a relaunch too?" because drumming up business gets in the way of being smug dicks, I guess.

Valiant loves us, they send us so much free stuff I have trouble giving it away. They even had a presence at the local convention last year so we got some face time with them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

While in line for a James Asmus signing at SDCC, I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be the moderator for the Valiant panel. We were talking about various things, when he asked if I was excited for Unity. I told him "yeah, Harbinger Wars was great, so another event book should be awesome." He replied to me in a really hushed voice "Actually, it's not an event. It's a title. Think Justice League or Brave & The Bold."

So there you go. Sounds like Unity is gonna be a team-up book, so that they can have characters interact without taking up arcs of their titles anymore. Not a bad idea, frankly, and explains why Valiant keeps saying cryptic things to fans like "why do you think Unity is a crossover event?". Unless he was messing with me, of course.

I thought it was a crossover too. That's what they hinted at back at C2E2 anyways.

Was anyone else really shocked at how good Q&W #1 was?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only book I'm really not digging is Shadowman. Otherwise I'm getting the rest of the line. I'm glad they're not pushing too fast and starting a dozen new books, any other publisher and the line would be 20 books deep by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At C2E2 they hinted that there was a definite chance at us seeing the "whole" Valiant Universe within the next year. A few of us guessed this meant a deal was being working on for Magnus, Solar and Turok since the Dark Horse deal is done and considered a flop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't read it yet but one of the guys at my LCBS bought 50 copies with his own cash, and gave them out for free (first to people with it on their pull, then the remainder to randomly drawn people). I got one that was just sitting around and hadn't been given out (because I'm awesome). As a thanks, Valiant sent him a copy of each of the variants.

That's awesome of him and of Valiant. I'm really loving how retailer and fan friendly they are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome by Braithwaite is among the worst artists in modern comics. I don't expect to enjoy the book much with him attached.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

I am REALLY loving Quantum & Woody. It's funny, but without feeling like that's the only point of the book. I especially love how it can do humor on one page, and then jump to an emotional beat for the next, without losing anything. And the coloring changes for the flashback pages are a nice touch, too.

Apparently issue 1 sold out at the distributor level, hopefully it can keep that momentum going. This book definitely deserves it.

I've never been so happy to have been wrong about a series as I am with Q&W. It's a wonderful book, here's hoping for a long run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I'll have to check it out. My Valiant reading has dropped down to just Archer and Armstrong at this point.

Really? I find the Valiant books pretty refreshing. They're great for getting the bad DC taste out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

Shadowman's new creative team has been unveiled: Peter Milligan on writing duties, and Roberto de la Torre on art.

Oh man, way to get me back onto the book Valiant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Priest & Bright are back on Quantum and Woody for a five issue mini-series called "Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody" in the original continuity! Valiant are the best. :allears:
Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48361

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! FAITH REWARDED!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

That sounds awesome. I never read the original, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time it goes on sale on Comixology and get caught up.

Oh, and since nobody posted it yet, Eternal Warrior #5 will take place in the year 4001 and allow them to introduce the future characters like Rai and Future Force.

You really should check it out, Q&W is probably my favorite "buddy flick" of all time. And that EW news is also excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Realtalk, Rhyno, would you call Quantum and Woody your favorite comic? Because I reread the original run basically due to you mentioning it constantly in glowing terms and I could see why it would be.

It's a tie between it an Hitman. Scroll up, I was super pissed at the announcement of the new series (I was really wrong). I spent entirely too much money on buying the out of print trades even though I owned the single issues just to get like 3 pages of extras in each one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

I haven't really posted in this thread since I heard about the relaunch but between TPBs and Comixology I've finally caught up with every single series Valiant is putting out and I really like them all. I know it's only a handful of titles but this is really the first time I've been invested in a company like this before. Literally everything they're putting out is really good. At least in my opinion. I think my favorites are probably Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Quantum & Woody. But I really do sincerely like every title they're putting out. With this solid of a track record I can wait to see what the next title to come out is.

The only bad thing I have to say about any Valiant books is the art in Unity #1. Doug Braithwait is one of the worst artists in comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is the Valiant starter bundle worth getting? I've never read any of their comics before, but it's the first 4-5 issues of X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman and A&A for $30, which is a really good deal.

Yes Yes YESSSSSS. It's worth it for A&A alone. And then go spend $10 on the Q&W trade because it's the funniest goddamned thing ever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy hell is Q&W a great comic. The throwaway lines are funnier than half the poo poo in other books that are written to be "funny."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That doesn't sound very positive as far as keeping a full lineup of titles. And no word on the Q&W2 series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. Better sell my original run right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Probably the easiest sell but far and away the most boring choice.

Boring? No way. The current Bloodshot book has been fantastic and Vaughn is an amazing director. This could be excellent.

No where's my Quantum & Woody tv series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

Quantum & Woody is the best goddamn book, for serious.

Yep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was anyone else completely underwhelmed by Q2?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

I wasn't familiar with the original run, only the currently-running version, so I have no real frame of reference but it didn't do much for me compared to how much fun the new run has been.

Compared to the new version it was just terrible. I'll always love Priest and Doc but Q2 probably should have never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a dude ask for Timewalker because he couldn't find it on the stand and was annoyed that we didn't have it. I grabbed it for him and he got pissy because it was in the I section so I had to move it over to T to make him happy.

Oh funny book shop, you will never get boring.

• Locked thread