Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I just got around to reading the issues of Harbinger I picked up during the sale, and subsequently bought all of the remaining issues to get caught up. This book is fantastic, and I'm tempted to check out Bloodshot just to get caught up for Harbinger Wars. The free issue of Shadowman seemed pretty cool too, so I might have to start picking that up as well.

Speaking as someone that has only vague memories of being disinterested in the Valiant stuff I read back in the day, this was really a shock to see how fun and engaging these books are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
As found in todays Valiant FCBD special, looks like the next big event will be happening in the winter, called Unity.

Also, it appears that this summer there will be more series launching in addition to Quantum & Woody. The new series will be Eternal Warrior, Ninjak, and H.A.R.D. Corps. It'll be interesting to see how that last one shakes out, since rumors have been circulating that Bloodshot will be retitled (but not renumbered) "Bloodshot: H.A.R.D. Corps" since its sales are pretty low even by Valiant standards and this could give it a bump. Depending on the way things shake out in Harbinger Wars, it might be a fairly smooth transition. If true, of course.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, the Harbinger Wars 8-bit game is now on the itunes app store for free.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Genetic Toaster posted:

They're literally just recycling event names from the original Valiant.

Anyone who was a reader of classic Valiant able to expand on what Unity was the first time it happened? The article on wikipedia is confounding for a new reader like myself.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

As a store we have so much faith in the quality of the new Valiant that in March we had the XO and Harbinger trades for $5 each and this month we're selling the $5 pack of #1's for $2.99.
That's pretty awesome. My shop orders 2 copies per title to cover their pull list customers and spends the rest of the time loudly joking "what's next, is Malibu gonna make a relaunch too?" because drumming up business gets in the way of being smug dicks, I guess.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
While in line for a James Asmus signing at SDCC, I struck up a conversation with a guy who turned out to be the moderator for the Valiant panel. We were talking about various things, when he asked if I was excited for Unity. I told him "yeah, Harbinger Wars was great, so another event book should be awesome." He replied to me in a really hushed voice "Actually, it's not an event. It's a title. Think Justice League or Brave & The Bold."

So there you go. Sounds like Unity is gonna be a team-up book, so that they can have characters interact without taking up arcs of their titles anymore. Not a bad idea, frankly, and explains why Valiant keeps saying cryptic things to fans like "why do you think Unity is a crossover event?". Unless he was messing with me, of course.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Was anyone else really shocked at how good Q&W #1 was?
I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was funny without being forcefully wacky, and there's a great sense already of who these characters are and what makes them tick. It's great to pulling yet another "fun" book, in addition to ones like Archer & Armstrong. A lot of the Valiant books are really giving off a pleasant vibe lately, which is a great counterbalance to all the "serious business" of the big 2.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman is the weakest of the titles, and it's a bit weird that the main character hasn't even had that much face time in it, but personally I'm gonna keep reading for a little while since there's so few cape books dealing with magic these days. But you're absolutely right that the slow trickle method is definitely the better way to go, as much as I'd love several dozen books of this caliber.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, it sounds like at the panel they said the next books after Eternal Warrior (which is probably going to be another home run due to Pak) are most likely going to be Ninjak and Rai, in no specific order. After that, they say they want to keep reviving more classic characters, but also try and establish brand new ones.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Unity is now "officially" officialy announced. Ongoing series, written by Matt Kindt and drawn by Doug Braithwaite. The book is meant to be the Valiant universes Avengers or Justice League, but without it being an official team with a headquarters and a big red phone for emergencies.

The book will be a response to the latest arc in X-O Manowar, in which Aric has returned to Earth with the lost Visigoths and has declared his old homelands (current-day Romania) to be under his rule. Harada forms a team comprised of himself, Livewire, Ninjak, and Eternal Warrior to take Aric down. Interview with Editor Warren Simons in the link above, and CBR has an interview with Matt Kindt and Robert Venditti here.

I gotta say, the thing I love most about this is how organically this has all built out since the relaunch. Everything's coming back together for this next big step, and it feels like a logical extension of the story/universe rather than months of stories built to serve this new book (unlike what Geoff Johns is doing over in JL/JLA for DC)

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I am REALLY loving Quantum & Woody. It's funny, but without feeling like that's the only point of the book. I especially love how it can do humor on one page, and then jump to an emotional beat for the next, without losing anything. And the coloring changes for the flashback pages are a nice touch, too.

Apparently issue 1 sold out at the distributor level, hopefully it can keep that momentum going. This book definitely deserves it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
At least a third of today's issue belongs in the funny panels thread. I spent a few solid minutes laughing at them getting grossed out at their junk touching while under fire from the cops.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
In addition to variants by Bryan Hitch, Travel Foreman, Paolo Rivera, and others, Valiant has just added a Unity #1 variant from famed artist and notorious lunatic Neal Adams.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman's new creative team has been unveiled: Peter Milligan on writing duties, and Roberto de la Torre on art.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Quantum & Woody continues to be one of the funniest books on the stand. My 4 bucks was worth it just for the homeless dude riding a shopping cart with Quantum's cape screaming "I'm the king of the world!".

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Shadowman has been stagnant for a while, it probably wouldn't be worth hopping on until Milligan jumps onboard with #13.

X-O Manowar is pretty great, and plows full steam ahead right after the opening setup arc. I was turned off by the almost-nonsensical preview too, but it makes way more sense in context. Basically, if you wanna see Conan the Barbarian go nuts in an alien Iron Man armor, this is the book for you.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That sounds awesome. I never read the original, but maybe I'll give it a shot next time it goes on sale on Comixology and get caught up.

Oh, and since nobody posted it yet, Eternal Warrior #5 will take place in the year 4001 and allow them to introduce the future characters like Rai and Future Force.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Q&W was one of the best books of the week as usual, and Milligan's first issue on Shadowman was a marked improvement over the past half-dozen+ issues. I mean, it wasn't hard given how little page time was dedicated to Jack during that time, but still, saved me from dropping it off my pulls.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant has unveiled their Valiant First initiative for later this year.

New series:
- Rai by Matt Kindt and Clayton Crane (May)
- The Death-Defying Dr Mirage by Jen Van Meter and Roberto de la Torre (September)

Limited Event series:
- "Armor Hunters", tying to arcs of Unity and X-O Manowar and with special issues for Bloodshot and Harbinger

quote:

A relentless and surgical strike team from the farthest reaches of space – sworn to exterminate the X-O Manowar armor and all like it – have found finally their last target. They will hunt. They will trap. They will kill. And they will rid the universe of the X-O Manowar’s incalculable destructive power…even if it means taking the Earth with it.
- "The Delinquents", a crossover series for Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody, written by Fred van Lente and James Asmus.

quote:

It’s the world's worst team-up when Archer & Armstrong meet Quantum and Woody! We apologize in advance for what can only be described as a swashbuckling, conspiracy-smashing, partner-trading, goat-fueled race across the USA!

I'm a little on the fence about Dr Mirage since I didn't feel much for her when she debuted in Shadowman, but under a different writer she could probably be more interesting. Might at least try the first issue. Totally in for everything else, though.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Wondercon panel recap:

- Harbinger ending with 48-page #25. August will be a new series or mini (conflicting reports) called Harbinger: Omega
- The Delinquents will be Fred Van Lente's end of Archer & Armstrong related stuff. Doesn't sound like book is being cancelled though.
- As well, they're planning on doing something for variant covers to The Delinquents. "A variant cover set that is planned are interlocking covers that feature a fully-playable board game."
- Since Bloodshot is being cancelled, he's joining the Unity team with issue 8
- Eternal Warrior is on hiatus, both because Pak sounds overworked and the timing works out for Valiant to push Rai in the meantime
- Rai #1 will be accompanied by Rai Plus #1, which is a 48-page version of the issue with "in-continuity extra content", available only to pre-orders. They wanna do more stuff like this if it's successful.
- Shadowman not confirmed to end after Shadowman: End Times, but also not confirmed to continue. Seems like Valiant's strategy for about-to-be-cancelled books is to give it a miniseries and see if sales pick up for that. If not, the series ends and/or characters are shuffled to other titles.
- Dr Mirage will be the final title as part of All-New Valiant. Could be used as a replacement title for Shadowman if that gets canned.

I'm getting the feeling that this is the year a lot of the titles on life support finally get chopped off, and a lot of stuff moves towards either new #1's, ensemble titles, and things revolving around X-O Manowar. I can't blame them, given the sales numbers, but at least the higher-selling stuff is still consistently great.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The new Quantum & Woody miniseries by Bright and Priest will kick off in October, according to Valiant.

They also announced an omnibus for all the old Q&W stuff, including appearances they made in other books.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Dinesh says that things are moving forward on Valiant's first foray into film.

Bloodshot, directed by Matthew Vaughn. Seems like an easy enough sell to mass audiences as far as movie concepts go. He was evasive on further plans, but the Valiant twitter teased some huge movie news soon. Could be a separate project, could be just concrete details on this. Either way, they've always said they wanna do it on their own accord and not because they wanna just cash in on the superhero craze, so hopefully if this pans out it's one of the more thought-out superhero film properties.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jeff Lemire is coming to Valiant to do a book with Matt Kindt and Paolo Rivera.

Not much info yet, the full story will be coming out tomorrow, but CBR says

quote:

Valiant has described it as a "prestige" standalone series, in the spirit of "Kingdom Come."

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Big week for Valiant news, AICN is reporting that in addition to the planned Bloodshot and Shadowman movies in varying stages of pre-production, an Archer & Armstrong script is finished and moving into the next stage of pre-production as well.

quote:

The ARCHER & ARMSTRONG Motion Picture is set to adhere pretty close to the recent Fred Van Lente/Clayton Henry run which follows the offbeat adventures of Archer—a sheltered young man raised by a religious sect and possessing the ability to mimic any fighting style he sees and his partner Armstrong—an immortal drunkard with a penchant for chaos, mayhem, and inebriated fisticuffs. My source also says that the film will feature the One Percent (the bull and bear mask-wearing Wall Street secret society) as the main villains of the film and other Valiant characters will most likely appear in the film as well; specifically the Eternal Warrior (also known as Armstrong's brother, and the star of his separate comic book series), which could potentially make this a lead-in to Valiant's own interconnected movie universe.

Casting will totally make or break this movie, I can already tell.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Those pages look incredible. Between this and Lemire's involvement being a big deal since he's off DC exclusivity, hopefully this is the kind of project that really gives Valiant a bit more profile among those that barely pay attention to the non-big-2.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant is launching 5 more titles in addition to The Valiant in 2015, some monthly, some limited.

quote:

IVAR, TIMEWALKER by Fred Van Lente and Clayton Henry in January
DIVINITY (Limited) by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine in February
IMPERIUM by Joshua Dysart and Doug Braithwaite in February
NINJAK by Matt Kindt and Clay Mann in March
BLOODSHOT REBORN by Jeff Lemire and Mico Suayan in April

All of these sound fantastic, but I'm super sold on Divinity. I'm interested to see how Imperium works out in the long-term, since I wonder how long you can do a Harbinger book without any Harbingers.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I wasn't familiar with the original run, only the currently-running version, so I have no real frame of reference but it didn't do much for me compared to how much fun the new run has been.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Valiant #2 was great, loved the blending of Lemire's and Rivera's art, and Lemire isn't wasting a single panel in this book. No ads to break the action up makes it even better.

The coloring is a bit weird though, it has this digitized "texture" to it. It's hard to describe, but up close it almost looks like there were printing problems, yet it was clearly intentional. Very strange choice, since everything else about this book is so crisp and vibrant.

My shop didn't get any of Timewalker, so I'm gonna have to grab that digitally. I like that even though Valiant has been ending series like Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger, they've turn turned around and started new titles continuing the story from a different perspective with the same creative teams. It's doing a great job of making the universe feel like an actually ongoing, cohesive saga. Just wish this stuff sold well enough for my shop to pay more attention and remember to order them.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Don't worry, if the previews to Bloodshot Reborn are any indication, we'll be seeing much more of her because he's hallucinating her out if guilt. Or she transferred her consciousness into him Spock-style. One of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

LordPants posted:

Bloodshot Reborn #1 is predictably really great. I hope these things are selling okay because they've been cool as all getup.
Yeah Bloodshot might be my new favorite Valiant title now, this is gonna be a crazy run I hope lasts for a while. It's also nice how ramifications from their event books immediately pay off, instead of just setting up a meandering new status quo like at the big two.

As far as sales, from what I've seen, a bunch of the Valiant Next titles have been selling out of 2nd and 3rd prints, so that's very good news.

• Locked thread