Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm catching up on a bunch of Valiant series, and I really love what they've done since their big comeback. I have nostalgia for the 90s junk, but the new stuff is really good on its own, I think.

It's almost all good. Quantum and Woody got a little tiresome, and the big Armor Hunters crossover thing stunk, and I'm not into Unity, but X-O, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Rai, Harbinger... so good. I'm about to start Ninjak and Ivar and a couple of the other newer series, and my expectations are pretty drat high. They've been kinda killing it.

It's so funny, I mean characters like Bloodshot and Ninjak are still corny as gently caress, but they made it work somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rusty Kettle posted:

The last few Unity issues that focused on the individual members were top notch. I like the characters having depth, and that is what they are doing with the last few Unity issues.

Bloodshot reborn is shaping up nicely as well. I really like the direction they are going with him. Read the excellent four part 'Valiant' series first. Bloodshot got pretty stale by the end of his 25 issue run, so this 'reboot' is refreshing. The original 25 issues were great, but they were running out of places to bring him. He was just a typical 'shooty man' who is hard to kill. Now he is much more interesting and I really want to know where they are going with the story.

I'll pick Unity back up. The early going felt like an inessential companion to the other books, but I'm interested if it goes other places.

And I totally agree about Bloodshot; it fizzled out.

I generally don't like crossover events, but Harbinger Wars was cool, and he was well-utilized there, but then just hung around being a bit boring afterward. The scenes with him and Kay in The Valiant were so great though, and got me super primed for Reborn.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am really surprised how well Divinity did. I think it was their best selling book and is on like its forth printing or something. It is really good, but I didn't know it would resonate with audiences that much.

That's great to hear. It's pretty esoteric; hopefully it'll encourage them to take more weird chances.

• Locked thread