Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Good news, bad news.

Good news: There is a five movie deal to get two Bloodshot films, two Harbinger films, and a tie-in Harbinger Wars film starting in 2017.

Bad news: it is with Sony pictures, so it'll probably all be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Benny the Snake posted:

But Valiant has the character rights so they'll still be able to dictate what will and won't fly, right?

Right?

We can hope. We can also hope that the MCU and DC universes have jumped the shark so badly by 2017 that this will be well received.

Speaking of Bloodshot, did he have a weird racial shift? I thought he was an African American man (from Bloodshot #0) but Reborn has him as white. Maybe the nanites leaving his body took his pigment with him. Maybe they didn't want their comics depicting an extremely violent black man.

I usually applaud valiant for their diversity, but this seems weird. Between the bloodshot and harbinger movies, you have both Faith and Livewire depicting people who aren't well represented in the MCU. Hopefully Animelia will be there as well.

My dream project would be XO manowar on Starz or FX (or HBO) written and directed by the same people who did Spartacus.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm catching up on a bunch of Valiant series, and I really love what they've done since their big comeback. I have nostalgia for the 90s junk, but the new stuff is really good on its own, I think.

It's almost all good. Quantum and Woody got a little tiresome, and the big Armor Hunters crossover thing stunk, and I'm not into Unity, but X-O, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Rai, Harbinger... so good. I'm about to start Ninjak and Ivar and a couple of the other newer series, and my expectations are pretty drat high. They've been kinda killing it.

It's so funny, I mean characters like Bloodshot and Ninjak are still corny as gently caress, but they made it work somehow.

I agree with Quantum and Woody. The first couple trades were good, but it certainly went downhill. I didn't get too far into Shadowman as well. I gave up and started reading other stuff, but I will try again soon.

I enjoyed Armor Hunters but they need to explore the everyday impact more. In a few years, the world has gone from being much like it is today to having aliens, psiots, and time traveling barbarians in power armor. Cities have been devastated, crazy tech is being developed, and lots of other nutty things have happened over the last few years. Harbinger, Bloodshot, and XO manowar did decent jobs of keeping everything low key and covered up, but Armor Hunters changed all that. The big event at the end of Harbinger led nicely into the fantastic Imperium, but Armor Hunters didn't really have as big of a followup other than the exposure of Unity.

The last few Unity issues that focused on the individual members were top notch. I like the characters having depth, and that is what they are doing with the last few Unity issues.

Ivar is great, but I don't know what the titular character is trying to do. The lady is much more interesting.

Ninjak is awesome and crazy. Excellent adventure comic, and again, there is plenty of character depth exploration.

Bloodshot reborn is shaping up nicely as well. I really like the direction they are going with him. Read the excellent four part 'Valiant' series first. Bloodshot got pretty stale by the end of his 25 issue run, so this 'reboot' is refreshing. The original 25 issues were great, but they were running out of places to bring him. He was just a typical 'shooty man' who is hard to kill. Now he is much more interesting and I really want to know where they are going with the story.

I need to read 'Dr. Mirage' much more slowly. It isn't the most straight forward of comics, so gave up vowing to get back to it when I was in the right state of mind.

Divinity is pretty good, but I don't know how it fits into the greater picture. We'll see I guess. Pretty art and excellent for what it is though.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Tequila Bob posted:

The main villain of Book of Death has been revealed. SPOILERS.

I approve.

Now I'm excited about this! Before, I was afraid that it would be a bunch of 'here is a bunch of your favorite characters dying', but it is actually going to have a plot, which is awesome.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I agree. For anyone just checking out this thread, there is a big Harbinger sale happening on Comixology. Excellent series, though I really dislike Peter. He pulls a really dick move in the first issue that makes sense if you are a teenager with his powers, but it makes him really unlikable for the entirety of the series. It fits into the whole 'who should I root for' vibe, and it is treated with respect, in my opinion. Especially in issue 24 where it comes up in a pivotal confrontation. It still could serve as a poor introduction.

Harada and the rest of the characters are top notch, and the 'perfect day' arc is most likely my favorite comic arc.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What's the reading order for Harbinger, especially with the Harbinger Wars? I've only read the Valiant, so I'm hoping to use the Harbinger sale to get in.

There are some tie ins with bloodshot, but they aren't completely necessary. I think it is as easy as reading the first Harbinger that falls in the arc, then reading the first Harbinger Wars, then the second of each, and so on. If you have the bloodshots from the sale a few months ago, you can inject them in there with the same pattern. Without it, you'll be missing a fight between Bloodshot and Harada, Bloodshot eating a cow, and how the kids got to the hotel.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Pretty much a complete reboot.

Where to start depends on your interests. If you want a good 'backbone' of what is happening now as well as a sampling of characters, I recommend reading the 'the Valiant' four part mini series. It sets up the recent 'book of death' and 'bloodshot reborn' series. They will set up quite a bit of story going forward.

XO manowar, harbinger/imperium, and bloodshot are all long running series that frequently intersect one another storywise. So if you like big extended universes, any of those is a good starting point. You might need to Google reading orders when you hit the big events like harbinger wars or armor hunters, but otherwise collecting the trades is your best bet.

For 'independent' series that, while contributing to the universe, they are mostly independent, there is:

-Rai : a future samurai defends 'new Japan'. Beautiful unique art that still amazes me to this day.
- Ivar Timewalker : a dude who kinda is like Dr who travels through time via portals with a physicist pal to save the day. Lighthearted and relatively recent.
- Ninjak : a cross between Batman and James Bond is taking the out a weapons dealer. Also recent, so for some great spy /ninja action, this is great.
- Archer and Armstrong : a fantastic series that had 25 issues then a nice natural 'break' for the characters. They will be back, but the original run had some of the best stories in comics. You'll see the origin of the 'immortal' brothers Ivar (Timewalker who technically isn't immortal, but simply pops up via time portal whenever he wants), Gilad (eternal warrior) and Armstrong. Then the titular characters will take down cults of warrior nuns, fight aliens, ride dinosaurs, partner with biggie and Tupac, and generally be awesome. It is a great standalone series.
-Bloodshot Reborn: this is how you reboot a character without completely erasing his history! The original 25 bloodshot issues are good, but it is generally agreed that there wasn't really anywhere to go with the character, so it was getting a bit stale near the end. Then the events of the Valiant happened, and essentially a human bloodshot needs to find his identity in the world while reconciling his past as a weapon, and tracking down the culprits of a string of shootings happening by people dressed up like bloodshot. Relatively recent so easy to catch up on, it is a really good gritty story.

There are more, but I'll wait to hear what you are interested in.

Valiant did a humble bundle with a bunch of trades a while back, and they frequently have sales on comixology on complete series. Starting light on new stuff and waiting for a sale to binge on older series might be a good decision financially.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

X-O is the corner stone of the who shebang, and most things interact/spin off that.

I disagree with this. There was the unity arc, and of course the armor hunters, but otherwise X-O is mostly independent. From planet death to dead hand to armarines, he is kinda doing his own thing now that he realizes that there is no going back.

Valiant has been doing a good job at spreading around the crossovers and important things. I would say that the big events (harbinger wars, armor hunters, the valiant, and now the book of death) are more of the corner stones, but ultimately each series tells a lot about a little corner of the valiant universe (except for maybe Quantum and Woody).

For example, Shadowman, even though I didn't like the story and thought it was a bit weak, established the supernatural side of the valiant universe that pops up from time to time in all sorts of series. XO establishes the 'alien' side of things that also pops up all the time in almost everything. Archer and Armstrong establish a lot about the various secret societies and how they have been affecting the world, which in turn ties in with the supernatural and aliens. Harbinger and bloodshot both have run ins with the secret societies and aliens, but don't really deal with the supernatural. However they discuss the whole 'psiot' portion of the universe that ties into pretty much every series.

Everything ties into each other in a really cool mostly coherent way. It can be a bit intimidating for new readers, which is why 'start with what interests you' is the best advice.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Fall of Bloodshot is excellent. Big spoilers for the issue ahead, but if you haven't read it, drop everything and give it a read.

Essentially, it is Bloodshot reminiscing about his life. In the future, he essentially replaces Turok as a Dino hunter , fights in robot wars, becomes a robot king, roams the seas as a pirate with Armstrong, joins an Eskimo tribe, and more. All of this happens in no particular order, and there are other mentions of wars and conflicts happening. Then he essentially dies of old age with a dog friend.

Holy cow so much awesomeness crammed into a single issue.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Bloodshot will become both a Dino hunter and robot hunter.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a sucker who has everything digitally and sometimes buys the physical book too. I can honestly say that out of their whole catalog since they rebooted it, there are about 3 or so garbage series/arcs: that weird Q&W thing, much of Shadowman (though some people really like it so I dunno), and Dead Drop. Though Dead Drop has one issue left so maybe #4 will turn it all around.

Everything else ranges from very good on the low end (H.A.R.D corps) to Holy poo poo this is the best (A&A, Harbinger/Imperium, Book of Death, oh hell mostly everything)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Hollismason posted:

Is there a reading order you are suppose to follow for Harbingers? Where can I find a read order for books. Reading Harbingers right now.

Read them numerically, starting with the normal ones then Omega, then Imperium. During the events, there will be a 'key' near the back of the first issue letting you know what is in that event from other series.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

Finally caught up on some stuff.

Ninjak #5 - great.

Bloodshot #5 - great.

Book of Death #2 - great.

Guys, I really like valiant.

drat straight. This last week in comics was really good. Ivar winds up an arc, Book of Death drops some bombs, and Rai starts back up again. Rai is a really pretty comic. My local comic book store didn't get me a legends of the geomancer 2, so I am going to have to eBay it...

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

zoux posted:

Rai happens way way in the future right? So does it ever connect to the wider Valiant universe?

Yes and yes!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am really surprised how well Divinity did. I think it was their best selling book and is on like its forth printing or something. It is really good, but I didn't know it would resonate with audiences that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

SynthOrange posted:

So about Divinity. I picked it up because the premise sounded interesting but I dropped it after #2 when all the other superheroes showed up. I really wasnt interested in a superhero fight and it seemed like wasted potential for such a story. Was I judging too harshly or is it pretty much superhero stuff after that?

There is some of that for sure, but give it another try. You are halfway through anyway, and there is plenty of good 'not fighting' stuff coming up.

Speaking of Divinity, his use in Imperium is great, but multiple readings were needed to figure out what was going on.

• Locked thread