Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Please sell me on Quantum and Woody, either the current version or the original series. I bought some Valiant comics back in the early '90s because Wizard Magazine told me to, and I was a middle schooler who got swept up in hype, but I never liked any of them. That was all far before the original Quantum and Woody series, which I always heard was an undiscovered highlight of the late '90s.

Some of my all-time favorite comics include the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI/JLA/JLE, Robinson's Starman, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Planetary, anything by Mike Allred and Darwyn Cooke, Ben Edlund's original Tick run, almost anything by Ed Brubaker, Bendis' first New Avengers run (up to Siege), Fraction's Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist, Vaughan's Y The Last Man and Saga, and Casey's Wildcats.

I typically like action-comedies and superhero comics with humor. So should I take the plunge? And if so, should I start with the Asmus run, or the upcoming TPB of the Priest/Bright run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I really like Giffen/DeMatteis JL* too, and I think that the original Priest/Bright Quantum & Woody was a worthy successor/companion to that run. I haven't really gotten past the first few issues of Asmus's Q&W, but to me it felt like some of the post-JLI stuff with Booster and Beetle and company, in that it went from "here are some superheroes who do some silly stuff sometimes but they're competent heroes at the end of the day who annoy each other and their team but are still valued friends and teammates" to "LOOK AT THESE DUMB JERKS, BEING DUMB. CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW DUMB THEY ARE? LOL THESE GUYS SURE ARE DUMB AND MEAN AND PEOPLE HATE THEM, CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY'RE SUPERHEROES? HA HA!"

A lot of people like the Asmus series and this may be entirely my own old-man nostalgia for the tone of the original series. Seconding the recommendation of Archer & Armstrong/Ivar though.

Thank you! I recently got the first Asmus Quantum & Woody TPB, and I agree with you for the most part. It was entertaining, but I don't know if I want to rush out and pick up the others. Maybe if the interior art had been as good as the cover art, that would have helped. I'm still very interested in reading Priest's run, and I've been trying to get that Omnibus as an interlibrary loan for a while now, to no avail. The first TPB from the new Valiant print run has been delayed until January, but if it's that good, I don't mind waiting longer.

I'll see if I can get Archer and Armstrong as an interlibrary loan in the meantime.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have the first Quantum & Woody TPB from the current Valiant run, if you are interested in buying it or trading another book for it.

• Locked thread