Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh

Gynovore posted:

Also, most MMOs don't have integrated voice chat for legal reasons. If some assclown does something really icky, like trying to get the real names of children playing, the MMO could be held responsible unless they take a reasonable effort to stop it. With text chat, it's easy to check the chat records if someone complains, or even to run a Bayesian filter that alerts the GMs if someone says bad stuff. With voice chat, these are both impossible. If players use a third party client, however, the MMO isn't responsible.

I've never heard of a game developer/publisher being held responsible for that kind of situation. Hell, I'd expect a company like Valve to have had a highly public situation by now if anyone was stupid enough to actually go after the developer of a game with VOIP for that reason (other than the standard "lawsuit = money" rationale).

I'm pretty sure the real reason they don't use integrated voice chat is that a not insignificant amount of the playerbase that wants to use VOIP is going to supply its own. And on the other side of it, a surprisingly large segment of the regular playerbase will also be discouraged by the presence of VOIP (now in order to play with some group of randoms, you gotta have a microphone or you get kicked half the time). Hell, speaking for myself, I would have kept my microphone off 100% of the time with the random chucklenuts from CoH.

Cost versus reward makes it kind of pointless. Especially when there's sooooo many better third party VOIP options that offer far more control to the users. And the in-game option will always be inferior because of the development cycle restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Someone said post some screenshots, so what the hell, still have these from a decade ago

Oh man I vaguely remember hating these guys so much

Spooky

I liked the atmosphere but hated the difficulty and how long these CoT dungeons were

lag city

uncomfortable?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Too soon :sweatdrop:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Really, you're doing jiggle physics? :(

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Only to a realistic level, and more a whole body thing - my model is Steve Rogers in Winter Soldier, when he's running laps. You need to get the entire body to move fluidly.

Well, if they're going to shut the thread down - anyone feel like starting a CoT thread?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Awwwww :smith:

We weren't hurting anyone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

kafziel posted:

If it's integrated, especially if it's something you have to turn off instead of turn on, then there rapidly becomes an expectation that people will use it. Which is bad for a lot of people - people without mics, RL women who don't want to get attacked or harassed by Internet Shitheads, transgender folks, people with speech impediments, people with social anxiety, or even just people who happen to have headaches and don't need the extra stimulation.

Neverwinter is like this (integrated voice chat that actually works and people use it frequently) and I have never had anyone give me the slightest trouble over not having a mic/not using it myself.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I suppose it had to happen eventually.

It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, CoT has a forum, and a facebook, and we try to keep em up to date.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

:rip: most active thread about an mmo :911:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

where am I going to read bad bios now

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bakalakadaka posted:

:rip: most active thread about an mmo :911:

:agreed:

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

with this thread shutting down what will i use this forum account for anymore...

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whatever interesting things you guys still chat about in here deserve a thread of their own. A long-defunct mmorpg doesn't deserve a thread of its own.
If there's something worth posting about (like that body slider video? apparently? idk), it ought to be in a thread where someone else who might want to see it or post about it can find it. A clique of people who used to play a dead mmorpg, even if you've all stuck together and moved on to something new, is a community that can only get smaller as long as that's the thing that unites you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ralp posted:

Whatever interesting things you guys still chat about in here deserve a thread of their own. A long-defunct mmorpg doesn't deserve a thread of its own.
If there's something worth posting about (like that body slider video? apparently? idk), it ought to be in a thread where someone else who might want to see it or post about it can find it. A clique of people who used to play a dead mmorpg, even if you've all stuck together and moved on to something new, is a community that can only get smaller as long as that's the thing that unites you.

You're not wrong. But this is still a bummer.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

when invites open up for the private server can i make a new thread?

i want to get all of you in

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

when invites open up for the private server can i make a new thread?

i want to get all of you in

Yeah, that definitely doesn't qualify as reposting a gassed thread if that's you're asking. It'd be a new thread for something new, right? I don't know anything about this game, bear in mind, except what I just read in that image I edited.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Ralp posted:

Yeah, that definitely doesn't qualify as reposting a gassed thread if that's you're asking. It'd be a new thread for something new, right? I don't know anything about this game, bear in mind, except what I just read in that image I edited.

more like a private wow server or emulated swg server i'd imagine

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ralp posted:

Warcabbit's game, City Of Titans, is a unoffical continuation of this game. It's backed by players of this game, and talked about in this thread, because all the goon players know the thread.

If this thread is going to be closed, then can Warcabbit set up a thread for CoT? If so, please add a link to it when this thread is closed.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Error 404 posted:

You're not wrong. But this is still a bummer.

Yeah, I basically totally understand it from a forum moderation perspective. I'm just being sentimental.

That said, if any of you want to keep touch with the Goon Formerly Known as SpacePope beyond the close of this thread? My battle.net tag is Haunt#1930 and my steam ID is MMind86 I think.

Now if you'll all pardon me I have to watch that scene from Titanic with the ship's musicians at the end.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

Warcabbit's game, City Of Titans, is a unoffical continuation of this game. It's backed by players of this game, and talked about in this thread, because all the goon players know the thread.

If this thread is going to be closed, then can Warcabbit set up a thread for CoT? If so, please add a link to it when this thread is closed.

I will add a link.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Thanks, Ralp. Now, I know too much and can't be cruel enough.

Who wants to write the Op?

I should point out that it is _currently_ an unofficial continuation. As always, negotiations remain in progress. Very. Slowly.
Honestly, I don't expect any actual results till CoT launches.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
make an mmo chat thread and i'll chat about how i don't play mmos but maybe you are are all lovely people enough to where our opinions don't matter

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'm here to chat about mixed martial oats.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm here to chat about mixed martial oats.

Same

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Sorry but we only discuss mixed martial stoats here.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Sorry but we only discuss mixed martial stoats here.

These arbitrary restrictions are killing this thread!!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Matoi Ryuko posted:

These arbitrary restrictions are killing this thread!!

Don't you go tryna weasel out of this.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Don't you go tryna weasel out of this.

Anyone who likes stoats is a friend of ermine!!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think these guys are talking in code, but I can't ferret the meaning out.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm even more minksed up than when we started.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ralp posted:

I want to bitch and moan, but honestly I can't. 2.5 years is far too long for a thread about a dead MMO.

See you guys on the CoT thread (and hopefully on CoT someday).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gynovore posted:

I want to bitch and moan, but honestly I can't. 2.5 years is far too long for a thread about a dead MMO.

See you guys on the CoT thread (and hopefully on CoT someday).

See you then, Space Cowboy!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Error 404 posted:

See you then, Space Cowboy!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Really, closing a thread that has more entertaining content than most of GBS. We weren't bothering anyone. And it's not like Warc will want CoH chat in a CoT thread, which is what a lot of us were enjoying.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna leave you with one of my favorite bios:

:allears:

Now we just need someone to post Wizard Lord. And others.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Pez posted:

Really, closing a thread that has more entertaining content than most of GBS. We weren't bothering anyone. And it's not like Warc will want CoH chat in a CoT thread, which is what a lot of us were enjoying.

Nah, I'm cool with it. Got to know where you came from.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

CoH was a good game with good people with good pubbies to mingle with and make fun of, that got shunted aside in favor of anime titties. People still talk about it because it still had a future when it was suddenly violently gutted with a machete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I can't believe how much this pains me, it should be silly. But we were a group of people playing an MMO with a Giant ManbeastFairy as our Mascot. Silly is What We Do...Did? awww man...

• Locked thread