Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I went looking for the thread in the HMO and when I didn't see it my immediate thought was "Curse this sin filled earth!" because maybe someone had started weird drama and it got violently gutted with a machete, just like CoH in its prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ralp posted:

Whatever interesting things you guys still chat about in here deserve a thread of their own. A long-defunct mmorpg doesn't deserve a thread of its own.
If there's something worth posting about (like that body slider video? apparently? idk), it ought to be in a thread where someone else who might want to see it or post about it can find it. A clique of people who used to play a dead mmorpg, even if you've all stuck together and moved on to something new, is a community that can only get smaller as long as that's the thing that unites you.

Ralp I nearly always try to support you and speak in your favor but we actually really do talk about City of Heroes quite a lot in here, and I don't think this thread should be closed.

Warcabbit posted:

Nah, I'm cool with it. Got to know where you came from.

Well I'm glad King poo poo of the thread is cool with it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do you think there will ever be a CoH 2 after Wildstar shuts down?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Unguided posted:

Do you think there will ever be a CoH 2 after Wildstar shuts down?

How could anyone retake any of the market share from Champions online and Marvel Heroes online?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So, to commemorate the thread closing, I'll be posting a bunch of screenshots. The ones here are all ones that I've posted before; later today I'll post a handful of new ones, assuming I haven't completely drowned in cheap gin by then.

Fly Higher! Feel Super!

Near the end, a GM temporarily turned everyone in AP into various forms, including the Avatar of Hamidon. The game didn't handle it well, the camera kept jumping around.

My pocket D trolling char.

Even in 2012, some people still didn't realize that Everyone On The Internet Is A Guy.

My water blaster.

The Overwhelming Force IO had like a 1% chance to generate a mushroom cloud when it proced. It was just a visual effect, but still it was cool.

I think this one scores a bingo all by itself.

The Outbreak zone seen from the air. Even though it was impossible to fly in Outbreak when the game launched, the roofs were still fully detailed. They didn't cut corners.

One time I picked up a mission on a cargo freighter on the rear end-end on Independence Port. These two were sitting on the edge of the boat when I arrived, and when I emerged twenty minutes later, they were still there. Sweaty cybersex ahoy.

I know I've said it a million times before, (and this will be the last time, promise) but if they had charged $20/mo for admission to an adults-only room off Pocket D, where people could execute some very... special emotes, they would have been rolling in dough and the game would be around today.

Another one of mine.

May vary wildly!

The "Mynx's Furry Adventure" line may have come from a forum post I did, which would make it my sole contribution to the game.

My Dark/Regen scrapper after soloing Countess Crey. Regen was absurdly overpowered for a while, allowing players to do unthinkable stuff like soloing AVs.

When a Kheldian with Hasten running shifted into Nova form, two lines appeared stretching from the player to the 0,0,0 origin of the zone. The bug was present when Kheldians were created and was never fixed.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 5, 2016

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

I'm gonna leave you with one of my favorite bios:

:allears:

Now we just need someone to post Wizard Lord. And others.

Sing Sang Song is my favorite hero right behind Tommy's Beef Fairy collection.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pez posted:

Really, closing a thread that has more entertaining content than most of GBS. We weren't bothering anyone. And it's not like Warc will want CoH chat in a CoT thread, which is what a lot of us were enjoying.

:agreed:

And why move a thread if you're going to turn around and close it a few days later?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

WarLocke posted:

:agreed:

And why move a thread if you're going to turn around and close it a few days later?

Guys, I'm going to miss this thread as much as anyone else, but really, It's Time. Three years is too darn long to sit around talking about a dead game.

If you simply must sit around and talk about how great it was, go to cohtitan.com. Yep, it's still running full blast. They'll be talking about how amazing their eight-breasted Dark/Dark was for the next 20 years, most likely.

Or go to Budweiser's vent, either/or.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
OK, folks, here it is; the last batch of CoH screenies to be posted, probably ever. This is all stuff I haven't done before.

Synapse's Task Force was the first mission to have a new tileset done for it.

For a few weeks in Jan '05, standing on the roof of a Magic store in any zone caused a weird brown fog.

Players were the only factor keeping the Winter Lord forces in check, which led to them breeding out of control in some places.

The Mek Man skin was the very first in the list. When an entity is missing costume info, such as the hostage here, the Mek Man skin is used instead. This led to a joke much later about them being "cloaked in a hard light hologram".

Statesman, at the end of Maria Jenkins' arc. He was later replaced with Positron.

One of the guys partying is named 'Sup Mariner, which I thought was a very clever pun.

Killing Defeating someone wearing a skirt normally gave you a panty shot... except for Nemesis Automatons, in which the legs weirdly came together at a point. Yes, I'm the sort of pathetic weirdo who notices women's underwear in a vidya game.

The Matrix Room.

A cute easter egg; in the extreme rear end-end of Crey's Folly, where no one ever goes, a group of Freaks do the "worship" animation around a fallen Rikti drone.

The secret dev lounge under Grandville.

From Beta. In I24, the Skulls got a workover, with female members added, and several long 15-20 arcs in King's Row.

Also from Beta. At the end of a Praetorian arc, a holographic statue was erected of your character.

When you dinged 50, fireworks shot up.

Another great example of how they changed things. At launch, there was a 15ish arc, "The Vahzilok Plague", which ended with the player running into Dr. Vahzilok, without any warning, an archvillain players had no hope of beating solo. (fortunately it wasn't required to beat the arc). Later on they changed it; not only was he an easy to beat EB, but the room he was in got a makeover.

Another easter egg: run into the gate with Super Speed, it falls off it's hinges.

Champion was among the least populated servers, but it was really friendly. Here's our end-of-game screenshot.

The climax of the very last Hami raid.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 6, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I wish other MMOs would use the two window chat system. It was just so much more user friendly, the same way that two monitors is much more useful than a single really big monitor.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Does anybody else remember that one basement access hatch that hosed up civilian pathfinding? And then they put up a plaque on it once they fixed the bug, commemorating it as a mind control experiment or similar.

There, that's my CoH memory. I was hoping this could live on as a Crew Chat thread, but Ralp is right - there's no reason for anybody who never played the game to ever join the thread.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i don't think they ever fixed it but the back of kings row near the entrance to galaxy always had like 10x more civilians than anywhere else

brainjury
Apr 24, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
drat, this was the best thread on SA. There will never be a finer flight controller recruitment/recipes/general MMO bitching thread.

Posts about this dead MMO were far more entertaining to read than any of the chatter about any other MMO, ever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Well I'm glad King poo poo of the thread is cool with it

That wasn't about closing the thread. That was about talking about CoH in the CoT thread.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

Does anybody else remember that one basement access hatch that hosed up civilian pathfinding? And then they put up a plaque on it once they fixed the bug, commemorating it as a mind control experiment or similar.

There, that's my CoH memory. I was hoping this could live on as a Crew Chat thread, but Ralp is right - there's no reason for anybody who never played the game to ever join the thread.

In KR right opposite the train. Peds would run up and down the hatch all day long. When they fixed it, they added not just one plaque, but a set of five plaques across the city telling how a Lost named Ishmael tried to mind control the citizens.

I suppose this thread could have lived on tucked into a dusty corner of CCCC... but c'mon, three years is too long to be looking back at a dead game.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
So ... Warcabbit puts up a CoT thread soon, maybe in time for it to be linked at the end of this one. The conversation resumes there with mostly the same people. What's gained?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

kafziel posted:

So ... Warcabbit puts up a CoT thread soon, maybe in time for it to be linked at the end of this one. The conversation resumes there with mostly the same people. What's gained?

Building hype for the new game?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
No, because a CoT thread will devolve into the same 5 people sitting around going "is it done yet?" instead of the fun awesome screenshots and jokes we have now.

Huzzah.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Maybe now we can post our long lost city of heroes secrets. I'll start:

I got into the beta for whatever issue added dual blades, willpower, and weapon customization and took a few screenshots to show to ONE PERSON who didn't get in. Well he ended up linking them in a public IRC channel, and then someone posted them on the fuckin Penny-Arcade forums of all places. Then, BABs found out and was very disappointed, and I had to live with the fact that I disappointed a dev. True story

I'm sorry Back Alley Brawler. I'm sorry that it went that way.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
For 2-3 years I played for free, using one of the PR accounts they created for demoing at conventions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wrote the guide for Dark/Dark Defenders. Yup, that's me. I might have actually spent the most time on all servers playing that power combo, but gently caress, I had no idea how to convey this information and get it out onto words that wasn't just lovely word salad.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Was that the one where the powers all got two ratings, one for control and one for debuff?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wonder if that Vent server is still running. I'd check, but I don't have Ventrillo installed, and also Budweiser was an ego-maniacal rear end in a top hat who is the major reason everybody on Champion was on /hide all the time so they didn't receive constant spamvites to his lovely supergroup.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Hey Ralp there's a chat thing using the City of Heroes client out now called Paragon Chat which myself and a bunch of the people in the thread use, if I were to make a new thread for updates to that would it go into MMO HMO or what?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That is true, CoH isn't _quite_ dead.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

better yet, move the thread to PGS so i can post about playing on the private server.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i was gm lloyd

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I was NT-RYAN1 40K.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I am genuinely surprised that there's 20+ people logged in to Paragon Chat at some random time on a Sunday afternoon. Is CoH RP still happening in 2016?

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

roleplayer: finally... a big empty zone all to myself... no idiots with boomboxes, no one firing off powers, no one superspeeding around me, no one cracking jokes when i mt my erp lines into local chat... it's paradise

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Sharrow posted:

I am genuinely surprised that there's 20+ people logged in to Paragon Chat at some random time on a Sunday afternoon. Is CoH RP still happening in 2016?

city of heroes is transient

fetishes are forever

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MechaCrash posted:

I wonder if that Vent server is still running. I'd check, but I don't have Ventrillo installed, and also Budweiser was an ego-maniacal rear end in a top hat who is the major reason everybody on Champion was on /hide all the time so they didn't receive constant spamvites to his lovely supergroup.

I know I'm opening a :can: here, but Budweiser was literally insane.

I joined up with him and his SG, the Protectors of Neverland, in '06 I think. He seemed pretty fun and chill, the only weird thing is that he made and remade the same character over and over, a fire/fire tank with some misspelling of the name, like xxX3udweiserXxx or something. He was one of those kamikaze tankers who considered Rise of the Phoenix to be part of his attack chain, which actually wasn't a bad idea at 50. We spent tons of hours farming the huge Dreck mission with a bunch of other dudes.

Except after a while, it became obvious he was ... odd. For one thing, he was always logged in. He would call us to 'meetings' in his SG base for no reason at all. He became obsessed with the supergroup's Prestige rating... rumor has it he bought influence from the RMTs which he converted into Prestige. Eventually he imposed a daily prestige quota, at which point I hit SG quit so fast the cursor left skid marks.

It got worse. Half the people on Champion had him on /ignore to avoid his constant rants. When the shutdown notice came, he aligned himself with every half-assed Hail Mary there was, including mailing capes and cowls to NCsoft. (WTF?) And supposedly he left he Ventrillo server on after the game closed, which is about the most pathetic thing in the universe... sitting in front of the screen hoping someone will come say "wow, it was amazing how much Prestige you had back then."

People like that really give MMORPG players a bad name.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

i was gm lloyd

I'm going to find you IRL and and do things with your urethra.

Sharrow posted:

I was NT-RYAN1 40K.

I was BoBbYBomB.

Cuchulain posted:

Hey Ralp there's a chat thing using the City of Heroes client out now called Paragon Chat which myself and a bunch of the people in the thread use, if I were to make a new thread for updates to that would it go into MMO HMO or what?

I like this. This thread is one of the few reasons I still even come to COH, other than to get probated in YLLS for arguing with the loving idiots in there who must clearly know fitness more than me.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 6, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This thread is one of the few reasons I still even come to COH

*inception horn*

Digital Nomad
Oct 22, 2005
"I'm a nomad too"
I've been lurking the thread since before close. This has always been a bright spot for me.

See y'all somewhere else I guess.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cuchulain posted:

I dunno, PGS I think.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Sounds pretty reasonable. Let's do that.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Sharrow posted:

I was NT-RYAN1 40K.

i was mistress demonica

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Farewell, City of Heroes thread! You got me at least six months worth of free game time via referrals, and were my first MMO ever.

I still think about some of my characters every day, and I always wish I had more pictures. Maybe I'll boot up Paragon Chat for a bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lights was a girl?

• Locked thread