Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I was Golden Girl guys

But in serious news I really did kind of know Ascendant (I even had a character in his SG because a non-goon friend wanted me to hang with him sometimes) and he was a legit cool dude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I'm going to find you IRL and and do things with your urethra.

should have done more than farm & itf, one master run would have saved everyone so many bans

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
God drat, this was the best Goonsquad. Maybe the beta/ preNGE Star Wars Galaxies GS was as awesome, but that's it. CoH was the only MMO I managed to play for more than a year and at one point I had three accounts, mostly filled with Professor *adjective describing powerset* characters and I played until just before Going Rogue launched. Badger Badger was my main, you guys rocked.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

God, what a fun game. It had its flaws, sure, but it was always improving. And from Tommy's dick chat/pics to griefing pubbies in Pocket D, you guys made it one hell of a ride.

Sad to see the thread go. I've really enjoyed it, even if I've lurked a lot more than posted. I'll definitely keep up with whatever sequel thread is posted as well.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I'll make the Paragon Chat thread in PGS tomorrow night. Go there to continue pretending to be a super hero / tommy groupie / anime girl / robot once I have it set up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I remember introducing my girflriend ransim, now wife, to City of Villians when it was still in beta becuase of the zombie costume options. She started a character on my account and had her own before the week was out. By the time the game ended she had more time played that I had and I'd been playing since the week of launch.

I met a lot of people while playing City of, took a poo poo ton of screen shots of cool costumes, hilarious backgrounds and of my characters as I wandered the various zones. Once I ended up on a farm team with a group of bears and it wasn't even remotely the weirdest thing that happened to me in game. I saw a lot of dumb drama and spent a lot of time soloing because of not wanting to deal with crazy people. Right now, a friend ransim made in game and who later became one of my best friends is sleeping in our spare bedroom enjoying his spring break.

I've yet to find anything that has clicked quite like City of and it makes me sad.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I will never forget the day we filled pocket d with flaming dudes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Confuse-Nuking Atlas Park is still my favorite thing

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I came for the infantile power fantasies, stayed for the Goon Squad. CoX was good on its own but hanging around in a channel full of bullshit artists made it incredible. It was so fun that my wife Musicia joined SA just to get into the GS channel. It's no wonder we all still sit around in this sad little thread, wondering what Issue 29 would be like.

Oh well. Onward and upward.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Don't think there'll ever be a time that I don't think or talk about this game. It cemented my relationship with people who have become (likely) lifelong friends, including my SO, and saw me through some difficult times. Never did play with you goons as I came to that party a little late, but played CoX since around Issue 1 - reminiscing about the game always makes me happy (and a bit sad, too). Still, always kept current on reading this thread, listening to all y'all's stories and thoughts, so will probably end up silently following along whatever other threads this closure spawns.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I think the perfect way to end this thread would be by saying, I joined SA because of CoH. I had been reading the front page faithfully since 1999 (anyone remember JeffK? Cranky Steve's Haunted Whorehouse? The 9/11 "I don't feel like talking about video games" page?) and I had heard about the wacky antics of "forum goons", but it wasn't until I saw half a dozen people in similar costumes loving around, I think it was near the Black Market in Cap, that I realized that this might be something worth latching onto.

Let's all have fun in the CoT thread, then hopefully in City of Titans itself someday.

Thank you again, and FLY FREE.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 7, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
See all you buttholes on City of Titans.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

see none of you in ffxiv

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See some of you in FFXIV? Seriously, I'm loving the crap out of it, but I'm a sucker for story.

Also, I'm the loser who wrote the terrible Dark Miasma/Dark Blast guide. I might have literally spent the most time on that powerset combo than anyone else dating all the way back to launch, but holy crap did I not know how to get what I knew in my head out into words on paper. I'm sorry.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

see none of you in ffxiv

I play FFXIV. It's a blast.

But I still will, and will always, miss CoX.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also, I'm the loser who wrote the terrible Dark Miasma/Dark Blast guide. I might have literally spent the most time on that powerset combo than anyone else dating all the way back to launch, but holy crap did I not know how to get what I knew in my head out into words on paper. I'm sorry.

I wrote a Robo Mastermind guide. That and an AE review column were my sole contributions.

"Purple Lovin's Highly Sarcastic Review Pit." Those were the days.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I honestly don't even like to think about when this game shut down and what it did to me. Yeah, I am THAT guy. This game was the only constant in a life full of bullshit, loneliness, and loss.

There's a reason I wanted all of us dipshits on Virtue. I hated the idea of us being apart.

I've only ever met one goon from this game IRL. That was Dagojam when we were both down at Disney (coincidentally) at the same time. I was dressed as a banana.

I've only met on of you guys IRL, but I know I could take the drive up north and see a few of you with no issue. Next time I go through "insert east side state here" I'm going to make someone Feel The Bern.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 8, 2016

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
The saddest part thing about the shut down for me was that I knew it was coming at a really poo poo time for a lot of us, including me. I had no job, no money, lovely living conditions, my dad's health was rapidly deteriorating. The only reason I was able to afford to play CoX on a slowly failing computer was because I had paid for a year subscription that summer.

But, I'm happy to say that my life has personally improved far more in the just over three years than I thought it could, and I hope that's the same for you lot.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'm not gonna say my life was lovely, because it wasn't, it was pretty average. Still, I was a awfully sentimental slob when it closed. I envisioned that the City wasn't vanishing, we were just losing our link to it. For the last 2 months I grinded even harder than before to get purples and LotGs so my mains would be 'complete' forever. :shepicide: I wrote an AE which tried to serve as a conclusion to the story; several people wrote to say they were visited by "onion-cutting fairies" while playing. On the last day I logged off every character where I thought they would want to spend eternity; some in crime-infested alleys, some in Pocket D, some next to Mynx. :)

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If a lot of you guys wanna stick together, you could migrate to another CCCC thread like a bunch of refugees. Work crew, plat crew, and "the thread without a title" are good generic places to just hang out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-bhM-xuec

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Home from work now, I'll have a thread about Paragon Chat up in PGS in a few hours. Post me the CoXest screenshots you got for me to use boys

Requesting as many of the animated gifs from the shutdown party as we got TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the PGS thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767383

• Locked thread