Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
is this another nemesis plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Moving on up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
The other MMO's finally get jealous at how much traffic this thread gets?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
That's my guess.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Well BYOB is a chill forum for chill bros, we're chill bros, and technically we don't have an MMO anymore. I'm not seeing the downside.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Welp, this is certainly a thing that happened

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
this is what warcabbit was hyping

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/posts/1509371

Nah, this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BswGrULkZao

I hope you like it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jesus that's a fuckton of work in that video. To get all that adaptive mesh poo poo working with the size of the dev team they have is pretty amazing.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Well I like it!

When the character creator stuff is all done it oughta be sent to the Mcelroy brothers with the Monster Factory stuff.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jesus that's a fuckton of work in that video. To get all that adaptive mesh poo poo working with the size of the dev team they have is pretty amazing.

You haven't seen the face.

And the big secret that we haven't told anyone? We went the extra mile. We can lipsync phonemes. I don't know how much we'll use it, but it's _there_.

Now we have to fix the skin - it's misadjusted to the UVs. Then... SPANDEX.

And hair.

gently caress hair.

E: Hey, Culex. Yeah, good idea.

Note: There are a few more sliders we're adding (bone sliders rather than morph targets) and some of the sliders you currently see will be limited and/or do unexpected things so won't be visible. (Shoulders is necessary for Muscle, but clearly is kinda effed up.)

e2: That patcher can _patch itself_ and runs off diffs. It is currently _far superior_ to Star Citizen's patcher. It will also compile under any OS we can compile UE4 on, from Linux to OSX to iOS to...

E3: This video was recorded on a 4 year old laptop. Core i5, admittedly, but integrated graphics. Try that, CryEngine.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 4, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ohhhhh yeaaaaaah

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I will say this about Black Desert: Building MMOs on Crytek is, has always been, and will continue to be, for the foreseeable future, stupid as hell.

Kudos on the step forward.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 4, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

But... but... no package slider!?!?

No, seriously, that's pretty good. The music reminds me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for some reason.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Culex posted:

Well I like it!

When the character creator stuff is all done it oughta be sent to the Mcelroy brothers with the Monster Factory stuff.

Actually, if you make a character creator available offline (screenshottable, save/store costume files to be used later) you could have something to really build hype while you work to get an alpha/beta together.

like people sharing designs or posting screenshots on twitter and facebook, etc. #MakeMyHero and all that.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's the plan!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Bakalakadaka posted:

Lmao this thread relocation.

robziel posted:

The other MMO's finally get jealous at how much traffic this thread gets?

Nemesis plot

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Warc why do you use underscores to emphasize you could use italics or bold like a normal person.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
In my day you didn't have italic or bold or unicode. You had ASCII and you liked it.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I hope your in-game chat has full emoji support.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Concurred posted:

Nemesis plot

WarLocke posted:

is this another nemesis plot

Also holy poo poo at those sliders. God drat it Warc I am terrible at using sliders like that for face gen and crap in games. It's going to take me FOREVER to make characters!

(:eyepop:)

So based on the lip-syncing stuff you mentioned, how ridiculous would it be to try doing something like in-game voice chat with your character automatically lip syncing to what you're saying?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Well now you're getting somewhere! I'm interested to see how the rig animates with some of those values (the hips position scaler looks pretty crazy). Regarding the UI I strongly encourage you to add text fields for each slider that show a numeric value and allow the user to enter a specific one. Also some kind of "snap to center" hotspot at the center of the slider. Keep going!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gynovore posted:

But... but... no package slider!?!?

And yeah this is a glaring absence, this needs to be fixed ASAP

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In related dead and gay comic book superhero game news, Champions Online is releasing a character archetype that revolves around hitting people with guitars

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Hello, and welcome to Cool Crew Chat Central (a.k.a CCCC or C4 or 4C). Please up date your bookmarks and enjoy your stay.

You are welcomed to take a more relaxed posting style. Thank you and have a nice day.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

We're all already posting in our underwear, how much more relaxed can you get

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

WarLocke posted:

We're all already posting in our underwear, how much more relaxed can you get

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

WarLocke posted:

Also holy poo poo at those sliders. God drat it Warc I am terrible at using sliders like that for face gen and crap in games. It's going to take me FOREVER to make characters!

(:eyepop:)

So based on the lip-syncing stuff you mentioned, how ridiculous would it be to try doing something like in-game voice chat with your character automatically lip syncing to what you're saying?

We have plans - basically, we're gonna have some presets that'll get you 'most of the way' to things, then you can tweak yourself.

It would, technically, be possible to do the in-game voice chat lip synching. We aren't doing it - the entire 'rest of it' relies on a lot of tech and potentially un-player-friendly assumptions - the "7' tall football player playing a female elf" situation, plus a lot of invested time and effort that we'd rather focus on making the main game, but we have the technical capability.
And if we have the technical capability from the start, we can come back to it later if we think it's a good idea, without having to recreate the character and the costumes.

E: The package slider is scheduled for a later upgrade. We need to see how it integrates with jiggle physics and if it causes problems. No, I'm not joking.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

You are welcomed to take a more relaxed posting style. Thank you and have a nice day.

Tommy on left, Shovar in back. Pretty sure we're relaxed enough, you know?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 4, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

It would, technically, be possible to do the in-game voice chat lip synching. We aren't doing it - the entire 'rest of it' relies on a lot of tech and potentially un-player-friendly assumptions - the "7' tall football player playing a female elf" situation

Just add a voice masking/modulation setting to in-game voice chat. :v:

I joke, but I honestly think that's the way online/MMO games are going to go - someone is going to make a kickass MMO with really great integrated voice chat so you never have to deal with 'chat windows' at all (other than stuff like private IMs, which will probably be GUId as an in-game smart phone or similar) and it's going to blow the doors wide open.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Just add a voice masking/modulation setting to in-game voice chat. :v:

I joke, but I honestly think that's the way online/MMO games are going to go - someone is going to make a kickass MMO with really great integrated voice chat so you never have to deal with 'chat windows' at all (other than stuff like private IMs, which will probably be GUId as an in-game smart phone or similar) and it's going to blow the doors wide open.

I don't think this will ever happen because most people playing mmos don't want to interact that much. Also mmos are bad.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

I don't think this will ever happen because most people playing mmos don't want to interact that much. Also mmos are bad.

Oh come on you can't tell me being able to bullshit with goons without having to resort to global channels wouldn't have been awesome.

Bitch talking Recluse as we stomp him, random stories about who Tommy showed his dong to that day, etc etc etc

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Oh come on you can't tell me being able to bullshit with goons without having to resort to global channels wouldn't have been awesome.

Bitch talking Recluse as we stomp him, random stories about who Tommy showed his dong to that day, etc etc etc

Well yeah people already do poo poo like that with things like vent and mumble. Most folks don't want to voice chat with random nerds.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well yeah people already do poo poo like that with things like vent and mumble. Most folks don't want to voice chat with random nerds.

To me, you're the random nerd :colbert:

(also vent can't lip sync okay)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hey, I used to play a villain scrapper named Kung Fuhrer, haha. I loved city of heroes.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have plans that way - but it's a resources issue. Focusing on game first. But 'integrate controls and access api of common chat clients rather than insist on integrated chat client' is on the pile.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

I have plans that way - but it's a resources issue. Focusing on game first. But 'integrate controls and access api of common chat clients rather than insist on integrated chat client' is on the pile.

Package slider bro. Priorities.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Warcabbit posted:

Also, most MMOs don't have integrated voice chat for legal reasons. If some assclown does something really icky, like trying to get the real names of children playing, the MMO could be held responsible unless they take a reasonable effort to stop it. With text chat, it's easy to check the chat records if someone complains, or even to run a Bayesian filter that alerts the GMs if someone says bad stuff. With voice chat, these are both impossible. If players use a third party client, however, the MMO isn't responsible.

Plus, of course, voice chat prevents the 400lb slob playing "Lady Arianna Silverhair" from pretending to be a girl IRL. Can't have that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MMOs with integrated voice chat already exist. It changes nothing. I usually turn it off, because go the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
If it's integrated, especially if it's something you have to turn off instead of turn on, then there rapidly becomes an expectation that people will use it. Which is bad for a lot of people - people without mics, RL women who don't want to get attacked or harassed by Internet Shitheads, transgender folks, people with speech impediments, people with social anxiety, or even just people who happen to have headaches and don't need the extra stimulation.

• Locked thread