Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Also note that when people say "suck" here is that they do not have the biggest numbers. The "good" power sets are pretty much overpowered when we're using other MMOG's standards. The rest are mediocre with very few notable ones being below par, as in you won't feel like a mini-god wrecking poo poo all over. Most folks who are not Tommy would pick a power they find to be "cool" or just pick powers for a character concept. Really, the main draw of this game is making characters and having fun with the concept, like running around with a Titan Weapon Brute looking like Tyrael, or an Electric Melee Scrapper based on a super obscure terriblr 1980s Indonesian superhero.

Even Beast Mastermind works if you just want to run around with a pack of dogs. As long as you don't mind everyone else being more useful than you. You won't get treated like a leper, like a bad class in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Pez posted:

I got 3rd in the circus one :hfive:

I won first on Chinese New Year contest but I have a genetic advantage.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yep to both. Flight, combat jumping, super jump were all specifically mentioned as well, but they didn't go over every last power or anything like that.

So what are the cosmetic options for Super Jump other than "no FX"? I'm hoping for a ground crack landing, like the seismic aura. Because it's silly to always have a super dude jumped a hundred feet into the air and landed softly like a cat. Hell, I think that should've been the default effect of landing from a certain height.

Also would be nice if the Flight customization uses the flight pose emotes which are underutilized.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Golf bag backpack as quiver but no actual quiver? Not to mention the much needed back pieces like swords and scabbards (and the rifles too). Seriously, would be nice to have your weapons actually shown on your character before they're drawn.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Section Z posted:

Also, would Ninja Blade/Broadsword + Ninjitsu be an okay "No thought required" No-Set-Bonuses Stalker? It's been forever since I've run one and I'm looking for a nice simple mindless gankfest in PvE land. My last successful one was a Claws/Elec Stalker who could scrap it up decently against the Rikti (perma knockdown via shockwave+Focus chaining off itself helped there. As well as Shockwave in general to go bowling for Conscripts)

Ninjutsu would require some investment to be "good" ("Good" in CoH would be considered overpowered in other games). Energy Armor and Electric Armor are the designated easy to build secondaries with good defense. Willpower is the king of idiot-proof secondary. All powers are toggles (except the last which you don't really need, not as good as Elec's anyway) and you will be very hard to kill as long as someone else takes alpha.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
I don't get why they didn't just make nukes unable to slot recharge and unaffected by global recharge but without their crash. Make them into "ultimate powah but only once in a while". Like Judgement. Crashes on melee is fine because their T9 lasts a while. Nukes only last a couple of seconds at the most, at the cost of you being useless for a few seconds.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

Never change, wizard lord. Never change. (But keep changing your bio every day like you do.)

He writes bios like my 8 year old nephew. So he's probably like 10 years old.

Seriously though, anyone who actually writes bios are either: a) basement dwelling comic book roleplaying nerds, b) furries/sexual deviants or c) little kids who watch Ben 10.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
ALL HAIL THE WIZARD LORD SON OF THE CREATOR!

There's also this one time GIANT FIGHTING ROBOT a level 50 is spotted dead at Atlas Park so we managed to make some pubbies join in to bury the robot.

wid fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 30, 2012

wid
Sep 7, 2005
@Akumaizer here. The Mrs and I will be out the one game we kept coming back to. Seriously, there's no better game that this for us: casual enough that when our 3 year old demands attention we could easily slip off and AFK for a bit. There's stuff to do and sights to see (read: terrible bios and costumes) even when you're not doing anything serious while still having a sense of progress. It's the game where she accidentally made her character ridiculously powerful and able to PL goons.

We will miss this game and the late night/early morning goon crew.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
I'm sceptical anything can replicate the goon community in this game. The game is just so casual friendly, so much that the 'haves' and 'have-nots' are not separated at all. I can team up with Tommy without anyone really noticing any change in effectiveness. The goofing around while not doing anything is also great.

The biggest part of what I like this game so much is the barbie dress up part. It's a game by itself where the challenge is making something you like. You get to show off and feel proud on an actual skill instead of "I just sunk 30,000 hours to get this flaming shoulderpads". It's also another way of not separating the haves and have-nots. My level 1 can look drat more awesome than a level 50+3 cat girl/emo guy with wolf tail. The game does not FORCE you to level. You do it just for the hell of it.

Maybe CO is like this too but goddamn if the art direction didn't make my eyes bleed. It's like being forced to stare at a Liefeld-era comic book.

I'm not sure I want to get into GW2 since MrsAkumaizer is not keen on fantasy theme, not to mention I couldn't even finish my 3 months sub when I tried WoW long ago. We might just wait on Phantasy Star Online 2, or just jump into STO (she likes Star Trek).

wid
Sep 7, 2005
gently caress, I'm trying to take screenshots of my characters but I couldn't being myself to boot the game up. It's like trying to visit and pet your dying dog. You just know he's going to die and there's nothing you can do but he's just so oblivious to it and just happy to see you. This is totally going to ruin my mood for the entire week.

The worst of this all is that you could never zip and fly with your guys anymore. This is the only MMO where you are allowed to have an actual in-game identity. Other MMOs never lets you come up with a concept for a character. He's just there for you to grind and get shiny loot. CoH characters are made from level 1, the rest is just his adventures. Killing an MMO like WOW is just killing your time sunk into the grind. Killing CoH is killing a character you created and also a part of you.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Instead of holding torches, I'd rather have them play as usual. I spent all my remaining points buying Staff and Water Blast but no one is teaming so that sucks balls. I'd rather spend my time playing with powers I never played with instead of trying to incarnate out remaining dudes.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Seriously, name another game that lets you not actually do any of the gameplay stuff and instead just have more fun playing barbie dress up doll and laughing at terrible fanfics. In other games you play the game just so you could dress up, in this game you play just to justify your dress up choice.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

This is what I just cannot get my head around, if it was turning a profit, how is shutting it down going to save money? I mean, is there some arcane financial reasoning behind it or is it as :psyduck: a move as it seems?

When a company is showing poo poo returns, the CEO must be able to show something to instil confidence in his leadership from investors, lest the board kicks him out. Usually they'd blurt out bullshit like "restructuring", "re-branding" or "shifting focus". Usually they'd also show a bunch of chopped heads to show their seriousness.

There's no good reason to shut down a business that's not making a loss, even more so when the business CANNOT be liquidated. When these things happen, usually the company would try to get cash for their assets, like selling the IP and/or studio. This is not the case. This is also a reason why CoH is not going to be sold. They're not trying to get cash capital from this nor are they shutting it down because of losses (like APB, for instance). CoH is the head on a pike, a bid by NCSoft leadership to their investors not to sack them.

I'm swearing off giving NCSoft any more of my money due to this. Not because they shut CoH down, a business where they could continue to make money even if they don't develop any new content. It's because of their blatant business practice treating their customers like faceless cash-cows. There's not even any attempt to patronize us. They literally just sacrificed us.

gently caress NCsoft.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Marvel would be stupid to develop something like CoH and CO. These games let players make their own characters and live that out but it does absolutely nothing for their existing brands. This is why DCUO is retarded. It's like playing a regular MMO with a comic book next to your side. It will not increase the appeal of Superman or Wonder Woman since you can't play as them. "Make your own hero" is better used on original IP. "Play our popular characters" can be subsidized as brand awareness marketing campaign. Oh hey, Guardians of the Galaxy movie is coming! Why not introduce the characters in our MMOs for folks who didn't grew up on comics but play games? Ding ding ding! Hell, they can even research the appeal of particular characters by how much they're played.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Free Headcrab posted:

I'm not talking about Richard Garriott I'm talking about city of heroes. You just seem to be taking the shut down of the game a little too personally. It was something inevitable that was always bound to happen. Ncsoft isn't evil for shutting down an 8 year old game.

Of course a company is going to do "selfish" things. Acting in self interest is a key proponent of a successful business.

Did you even notice HOW they shut down the game? Have you ever had games you like shut down before? I have: Earth & Beyond, Asheron's Call 2, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies. I'm not hung up at all on those games being gone. You know what's the difference? They actually treated us, the people who had been giving them all these years, with some respect. The games were shut down with prior announcements, with some sort of farewell, some sort of acknowledgement to our contributions. NCSoft didn't even mention ANYTHING about killing off CoH on their site until there was a huge outcry about it. They literally went "We're shutting the game" "What about the customers?" "What about them?".

It's like being dumped by your girlfriend by coming home from work finding your stuff on the lawn, the locks were changed and a new guy is already living in your house. And she refuses to even speak to you.

Would I even play if they made a private server? I doubt it. It's the community and sense of nostalgia that made CoH great. I'm not too hung up on never being able to play the game again. But I do feel like NCsoft screwed us over and not feel bad about it.

Seriously, gently caress NCsoft. I wouldn't piss on their building to douse a fire.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

ZombieParts posted:

Hey Pepsi! I hear you're not going to make Crystal Pepsi anymore! Why don't you sell it to us so we can make some money off of it? Why won't you answer me?!

What a poo poo analogy. Crystal Pepsi was a flop. Who would want to buy that?

Now what if Crystal Pepsi was a good seller, but only in India? Pepsi decided to stop making it because they'd rather concentrate on the western market, not to mention Beef-flavored Pepsi was causing a huge loss in India. A local Indian distributor said, "Hey, we'd take it, since you're not going to sell them any more" but Pepsi just shrugged them off.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Brave New World posted:

I don't care what anyone says, CoX's naming convention sucked. For all its flaws, Champions Online got that one right.

I used to think like this too but then I realized it would've made "lovely name" spotting half as fun. Everyone would be named Death Dark God or Sepiroth or Edward Cullen. It kills creative and stupid names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Akumaizer and MrsAkumaizer checking in for one last time. Godspeed, Super Goons! It's been a great run and we will always cherish the memory until the time we completely forgot about them. o7

• Locked thread