Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping they won't wear that badly on an 86, although tbh they weren't that bad price wise here. Like maybe a bit more than a full set of ps4's in the same sizes.

Gonna be doing my first few days on completely std suspension in this car anyway, as it seems silly to just start throwing parts at it. Although I have done a few things which are just cooling and braking related so you know, the basics.

I do have a set of KWV3's to go on down the road, but I'll need some other bits and bobs to get the camber I want out of the car anyway. Then maybe I'll go with a set of AD09's as I really liked the old AD08R which I really liked on the mr2 and they wore pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

track day bro! posted:

I'm hoping they won't wear that badly on an 86, although tbh they weren't that bad price wise here. Like maybe a bit more than a full set of ps4's in the same sizes.

Gonna be doing my first few days on completely std suspension in this car anyway, as it seems silly to just start throwing parts at it. Although I have done a few things which are just cooling and braking related so you know, the basics.

I do have a set of KWV3's to go on down the road, but I'll need some other bits and bobs to get the camber I want out of the car anyway. Then maybe I'll go with a set of AD09's as I really liked the old AD08R which I really liked on the mr2 and they wore pretty well.

how much camber can you get with two dot crash bolts in an 86?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
That might be something I try after this trackday for a quick fix. The front should let me get over -1.0 at least not sure about the rear though as it's multi link.

With the KW's I was going to go with some offset upper mounts along side crashbolts and the rear you normally get an aftermarket RLCA to get camber dialled in as if you lower it the car naturally gains camber.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I run RS4's on the miata, they're a perfect hpde tire. Wear like iron, close enough in speed to the best tires, responsive and communicative at the limit.

Did I mention they wear like iron? My last set lasted 10 track days and 15 autox events, plus driving to/from the track.

I have a tow vehicle now (picked up a used cayenne - 7700lbs tow rating!), and as a result I'm trailer shopping and probably venturing into the world of slicks soon. I'm very excited to be able to get into a comfortable vehicle with ac and vented seats at the end of a track day, rather than climbing back into a bucket seat, harnesses, no ac/Ps, stiff suspension miata to sit on the highway at 4k rpm for an hour or two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is p cool

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Data Graham posted:

This is p cool

Saint Louis?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I have Cup 2s on my FoRS. They are very sticky but you will eat through them like pizza at a Superbowl party. Especially if you're running street suspension settings and don't have enough camber. Also, they are whisper quiet until you are already full-send all wheel drifting through a fast corner you should have lifted for. Ask me how I know.

4 years later, I have PS4S's on my M4 and I was the fastest person in my group with way less wear, more feedback for when I'm approaching the limit, and still chasing down Porsches.

Sure, the Cup 2's are faster, but it's a DE, not a race.

It feels like I’m already lighting money on fire with registration fees and maintenance so tires with some longevity sound good.

The M3 is on Bilstein coilovers with -4 camber up front and -2.5 in the rear.

TrueChaos posted:

I run RS4's on the miata, they're a perfect hpde tire. Wear like iron, close enough in speed to the best tires, responsive and communicative at the limit.

Did I mention they wear like iron? My last set lasted 10 track days and 15 autox events, plus driving to/from the track.

I have a tow vehicle now (picked up a used cayenne - 7700lbs tow rating!), and as a result I'm trailer shopping and probably venturing into the world of slicks soon. I'm very excited to be able to get into a comfortable vehicle with ac and vented seats at the end of a track day, rather than climbing back into a bucket seat, harnesses, no ac/Ps, stiff suspension miata to sit on the highway at 4k rpm for an hour or two.

This is music to my ears.

I’m trying to avoid that level of scope creep. For now.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 5, 2024

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

How many goons are on the cayenne train at this point? I checked auto trader and they can be had for sub 10k sub 100k miles.

Assuming I don't value my time (check) and can do the wenching (check) is there a better bang for the buck tow vehicle?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's also my wife's daily driver, and the parking lot at her workplace is pretty tight. We don't frequently need a bed, and the once a year I do I can generally just use the car trailer.

Given it's her daily driver, in addition to towing duty the requirements were heated/cooled seats & a heated steering wheel. Where I am, this was less expensive than a truck with that criteria, similar year & mileage, so why not? I'll be doing all the work myself (I too do not value my time), it's just light enough that it'll go on the 5000lb quickjacks I have, and spring/summer/fall there are 3 other vehicles that can be used if I need to work on it for longer than a weekend or evening.

I'm sure a truck would likely tow with more stability given the extended wheelbase, but this is a much, much better ride for the rest of the time and an enclosed trunk is far more useful. I've got the base model engine with a bunch of interior options + the factory tow option checked, and it's not going to set any speed records but it's no slouch. It's also very quiet at speed, incredibly comfortable, and easy to drive. I'm still not a fan of how everyone drives giant things, but this is about the smallest vehicle we could get with a 7K+ tow rating.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

honda whisperer posted:

How many goons are on the cayenne train at this point? I checked auto trader and they can be had for sub 10k sub 100k miles.

Assuming I don't value my time (check) and can do the wenching (check) is there a better bang for the buck tow vehicle?

There's myself, Bajaja, Safety Dance and Motronic that I'm aware of.
Join us. :sickos:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Daytona!

God drat that is a fun track. Especially now that we have an engine that can hang (and actually pass pretty much anybody at will, that thing is a beast now)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the less good side,

Hard hit on the rear quarter coming out of the first infield horseshoe, followed quickly by front passenger corner rotating into the wall and knocking the wheel off the ball joint. This'll take some buffing

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Data Graham posted:

On the less good side,

Hard hit on the rear quarter coming out of the first infield horseshoe, followed quickly by front passenger corner rotating into the wall and knocking the wheel off the ball joint. This'll take some buffing

Ouch. Buffer going to earn some OT by the looks of it.

McTinkerson posted:

There's myself, Bajaja, Safety Dance and Motronic that I'm aware of.
Join us. :sickos:

It's like 1 post above you and I miss the list? :v:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’m considering a used Cayenne or Macan as a daily/occasional light towing vehicle, anywhere I can start reading up on what to look for/avoid?

My buddy tows his track car with one, this fucker managed to score one of the 600 or so GT-S’s with a manual:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Had the Lotus out for the first time today, here is a lap. Seriously overbraking and should have been going down to second gear in a few spots, but I still managed to match my quickest BRZ lap here. Few issues to sort out with the car, but it is disgustingly good for what it is.

Most annoyingly is the steering wheel gets feedback mid corner that feels like the outside front is flatspotted. Happens both directions but I've not found any bushing or balljoint play, so not sure wtf is going on yet. I swapped to a second set of wheels/tires at the track hoping the tires the car came with were in fact flatspotted, but it was not to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPh3QBKNWXA

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2024

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Looks fun as hell. Elise is definitely one of the best track cars ever made.

Any chance the feedback is it reaching the bump stops?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Livin the dream, seriously capable cars that put so many much more expensive things to shame.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Looks fun as hell. Elise is definitely one of the best track cars ever made.

Any chance the feedback is it reaching the bump stops?

I was kinda thinking about that too. The front left front damper has a collection of moist dirt on it which makes me think it is probably blown, but the car didn't bounce oddly or overly so and when I do my normal float the front left tire over the curb before start finish (transponder start finish is the short straight with the paddock on the left hand side - 14s in the video) it felt super plush. Kinda odd, but I'll lift the car back up this week and see what I can find.

I drove another friends Lotus yesterday too, it is a sister VSA built car that is legitimately identical to mine except it has aero, a K24, has some Nitron 3 ways, and was on Toyo RRs instead. It didn't have this feedback through the wheel so I can't chalk it up as non-powersteering things.

Fortunately the fairly limited possible options are:
1. steering rack
2. tie rods
3. upper and lower control arm balljoints
4. control arm bushings
5. it's normal with the tires on the car

NitroSpazzz posted:

Livin the dream, seriously capable cars that put so many much more expensive things to shame.

lol honestly I expected the car to do a 1:50, I cannot believe how fast it is for what it is. The irritating part is that making it competitive in a class is going to be expensive... like $25k expensive unless I break my long standing no purple tire pact.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 9, 2024

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

lol honestly I expected the car to do a 1:50, I cannot believe how fast it is for what it is. The irritating part is that making it competitive in a class is going to be expensive... like $25k expensive unless I break my long standing no purple tire pact.

what would you have to do/ how fast is that class?

very cool!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

no lube so what posted:

what would you have to do/ how fast is that class?

very cool!

I could fit it into the current class (TT5) my BRZ runs by putting a stock rear diffuser onto it, changing to a Toyo RR or Maxxis RC1, and adding like 200lb of ballast. The tradeoff is the powerband sucks in comparison. 170whp something peak versus 200whp from 5500rpm to 8000rpm. Kinda defeats the purpose of the car, anyway, imo.

Running it in TT4 is a K24, a splitter, a wing, and a Toyo RR or Maxxis RC1. This is more or less what I'd wanted to do with the car anyway, but that is your $25k number.

TT3 but unoptimized is the TT4 car with a set of Hoosier A7s.

Uhhh laptime comparisons.... at the track in the video I linked these are the lap records
Spec Miata - 1:55.6
TT6 - 1:51.3 - toyota mr-s
TT5 - 1:46:3 - my brz
TT4 - 1:42:8 - dave schotz in a c4 corvette that wouldn't be legal in class anymore, so consider it a soft 3 car. Mid 1:43, low 1:44 is about right now
TT3 - 1:41:6 - well driven ls powered rx8

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 10, 2024

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Didn't have a brilliant first day out with the 86 at brands, ended up with horrible vibration when braking after getting heat into the brakes which just meant I barely got any laps in. Even after pulling out the front pads in the garage nothing looked wrong with them or the rotors visually. Scuffed the pads up and went out again and the same thing happened.

I thought maybe I hadn't done the bed in process correctly and maybe left pad deposits on the rotor, I did the same thing that I usually do with the carbotechs I used on the mr2. Which was get up to around 70 ish and then brake fairly heavily down to 30/40mph a few times and then keep driving to let everything cool back down. I'm now wondering if maybe I didn't leave enough time for the rotors to cool. As when I pulled up the brakes were still hot, like not untouchable but there was still a bit of heat in them.

Someone else also suggested that it may be from not having hubcentric rings fitted to the wheels so as the brakes heated up it was causing the wheels to become unbalanced. Really not sure about that, although I always ran them on the mr2 previously as without them I'd get a lot of vibration through the steering driving at motorway speeds and not just under braking. I've ordered some anyway as they don't cost too much.

It's a bit frustrating because it's going to be very hard to replicate the issue on the street as it really took a few laps of driving for it to start happening. This was with a set of PMU Club racer pads and brembo rotors, if it is deposits I hope they can be resurfaced because they are fairly hard to get hold of. As the only other options for rotors would be from DBA which cost even more or from toyota/subaru which are even worse.

Obligatory photo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Happier times (the first 20 minutes)

Forensic teardown shows that the front passenger ball joint popped loose. From the footage and the driver's play-by-play it seems that a couple of laps earlier he came down off the banking because of an ECU glitch that made him slow down to try to figure it out, and the transition onto the flat probably jostled the 40-year-old joint apart; and then later in the first infield horseshoe he got the rear end loose (just overcooked it on corner exit) and the rear swung left, and then as he corrected it and it swung right, the wheel hub popped free of the ball joint and sent it into a spin from which there was no recovering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1AJXmfIEw

Pulling the suspension apart shows that something shattered the ball joint prior to the incident. It's hard to tell for sure but there are no witness marks on the control arm and nothing else can hit it there. Seems like we should have rebuilt that suspension beforehand and just taken the points hit.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 10, 2024

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Didn't have a brilliant first day out with the 86 at brands, ended up with horrible vibration when braking after getting heat into the brakes which just meant I barely got any laps in. Even after pulling out the front pads in the garage nothing looked wrong with them or the rotors visually. Scuffed the pads up and went out again and the same thing happened.

The car looks great, sorry to hear it is being a pain :(

Maybe it'd be cheaper having rotors shipped from the US? They're $100 for a front set and $75 for a rear set from RockAuto, dunno if it'd be cheaper to have a set forward shipped to you or something.

I'm about to swap out a set of CSG C2 front / rear for GLoc R12 / R10, they've got like 75% life left in them, if you want to try a different pad to see if it changed anything. I wouldn't think shipping would be too bad.

Data Graham posted:

Forensic teardown shows that the front passenger ball joint popped loose. From the footage and the driver's play-by-play it seems that a couple of laps earlier he came down off the banking because of an ECU glitch that made him slow down to try to figure it out, and the transition onto the flat probably jostled the 40-year-old joint apart; and then later in the first infield horseshoe he got the rear end loose (just overcooked it on corner exit) and the rear swung left, and then as he corrected it and it swung right, the wheel hub popped free of the ball joint and sent it into a spin from which there was no recovering.

Pulling the suspension apart shows that something shattered the ball joint prior to the incident. It's hard to tell for sure but there are no witness marks on the control arm and nothing else can hit it there. Seems like we should have rebuilt that suspension beforehand and just taken the points hit.

gently caress, that could have gone worse. Hopefully you all are able to get it up running easily and there wasn't any subframe damage or anything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Rebuilding the suspension with new parts in an otherwise stock configuration incurs a points penalty? That seems really stupid from a safety perspective.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

The car looks great, sorry to hear it is being a pain :(

Maybe it'd be cheaper having rotors shipped from the US? They're $100 for a front set and $75 for a rear set from RockAuto, dunno if it'd be cheaper to have a set forward shipped to you or something.

I'm about to swap out a set of CSG C2 front / rear for GLoc R12 / R10, they've got like 75% life left in them, if you want to try a different pad to see if it changed anything. I wouldn't think shipping would be too bad.

Honestly I feel like the pad compound was fine, it was just when the steering and brake pedal start shaking badly I just started backing off as it didn't feel like you could drive through it.

Just checked and apparently rockauto ship internationally? Also the price is showing in £ so it might be worth it just have to see what the shipping cost is. What brands are good because I've not heard of most of these apart from centric.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Honestly I feel like the pad compound was fine, it was just when the steering and brake pedal start shaking badly I just started backing off as it didn't feel like you could drive through it.

Just checked and apparently rockauto ship internationally? Also the price is showing in £ so it might be worth it just have to see what the shipping cost is. What brands are good because I've not heard of most of these apart from centric.

I just run the cheapest Centrics, they've been more than fine for me.

Is it possible you've got some kind of bushing issue in the front end?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I just run the cheapest Centrics, they've been more than fine for me.

Is it possible you've got some kind of bushing issue in the front end?

Just checked the shipping and it's about £100 but even with that it's still working out cheaper as the discs are nowhere near as expensive.

I mean I'd hope not because the car only has around 10,000 miles on it, also the fact that if you let the brakes cool down a bit the issue would lessen until you started getting more heat back into them. I'm really hoping it's just that I hosed the bed in process really, but I'm going to have someone take a look at it who did the rollbar install on my friends NC. The dude had prepped a couple of the other cars that was at the same day, so maybe if it's just pad deposits I can get the discs turned and then try and re bed them in. But maybe I'll just order a second set just in case.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress, that could have gone worse. Hopefully you all are able to get it up running easily and there wasn't any subframe damage or anything.

Looks minimal fortunately. The cage is a motherfucker and not a broken weld or bend to be seen, including around the fuel cell. Nothing inside it moved a millimeter. The driver was pretty concussed (the gopro said the impact was 43g) for a day or so and is still very sore but no other ill effects. :buddy:

The most annoying part is the MkII taillights are unobtainium now. We should have taken those off and replaced them with something sacrificial but they were so coool

IOwnCalculus posted:

Rebuilding the suspension with new parts in an otherwise stock configuration incurs a points penalty? That seems really stupid from a safety perspective.

Probably not if we used new old stock and rebuilt it to factory condition, but we would have been swapping it out for all new components and heim joints and overbuilt it beyond factory, and that does get you points.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Pull all the rotors and look at them? Heavy vibration under braking (due to pad deposits) was the thing that convinced me to move away from GM stock Ferodo pads on my SS. They never had fade issues, but had problems with deposits: maybe check the rear rotors if you weren't also running track pads there.

In Corvette news, apparently the number of track weekends a brand new normal SKF rear wheel bearing can handle is less than 1. I've ordered an SKF X-tracker hub for that corner, and will do the other rear one and ARP extended studs before my next event.

Looking at Apex Pro data from my first C5 Z06 weekend compared to my Chevrolet SS: I'm seeing cornering loads in the low 1.2 range, compared to running out of grip around 1.05, with the exact same tires (275/35-18 Kumho V730). Losing 700lb and adding front upper control arms seems to matter. Now that the ABS and clutch are working, I'm excited to see how much faster the new car goes (in October, when I'll actually be free for an event).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hell yeah blk! I'm loving this.