Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

:doh:

And yes, yes they are. *shakes fist at FoRS*

We all learn the lesson eventually :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

We all learn the lesson eventually :smith:

In its defense, it's never broken or been unreliable. It just overheats like a motherfucker.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Cross post from my "civic" thread.

honda whisperer posted:

Made it through the second day and home ok. This was the second to last run Sunday.

https://youtu.be/rcHqHXGUFwQ

Head instructor is riding shotgun as a check ride to see if I'm ok to go solo. Got the ok after :D

It's not fast or exciting as a video. Newbie and all that, but it was a ton of fun. Definitely how the BRZ was meant to be used. For just tires and brakes it was perfectly at home on the track.

My biggest complaint is the gas pedal position. It's much lower and way to the right of the brakes. I can't reach it by rolling my foot off the side of the brake. It's a full ball of the foot on the brake, heel over at 45 degrees, and then push the heel really deep to hit the gas. There was one corner I could manage it smoothly due to hard braking. All the rest required a much lighter foot and I worried if I ham fisted it I would upset the car to much and spin.

I should have been hitting 5th on the front straight and then braking and down shifting to 3rd. I just coasted 4th and left it there to that slow right hander. Slow but safer I had enough other things to worry about.

You can move the pedal pretty easy though. I plan on either making or buying the bracket to move it. Probably make so I can tweak and adjust the height and spacing.

Brakes worked great. Very strong bite. Probably to strong for my skill level. I had to be very conscious of liiiight pedal pressure. Zero fade or issues though.

Tires were great too. Very talkative and predictable. Needs some front camber.

Probably better seats too. Even being good factory buckets I'm sore as hell from just holding myself in position. Even did the slide the seat back, lock the belt, and pull myself into it trick.

Clay bar probably tomorrow. It's filthy.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Looks like good lines and good car control for a novice group driver.

I have that same Bell helmet, it's awesome, and I have the same issues with the visor falling, you just have to tighten the pivot lock part with a 2 or 3mm allen. I never remember to do it untill I'm belted in and on the track. So this is your reminder to do it. :)

You might be able to get some Schroth 4 point ASM belts that buckle in to the rear belts and easily mount to the front anchor points. Those will hold you in 10x better and are track day approved.

aventari fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 9, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks!

Yeah the visor had been perfect for 1.5 days and just saw it's moment and went for it. It's happened before too.

I've looked at those 4 points. Kinda interesting how they work. Would be cheaper than seats too.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I just taped the top of my visor to the helmet, it never stayed up for a full race otherwise and my glasses would fog like crazy with it down.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We missed the entry deadline for the Daytona race (it was a real stretch, and some stuff didn't get delivered in time, which sucked after 3 all-nighters that week), but that means we have time to get ready properly for Sebring. And now seeing how much has had to get worked on, it's a drat good thing we didn't go out when we did.

Wàng welded up and mounted, and the curve I drew even clears the trunklid opening! I totally planned that

(The guy building it insists the #45 he requested is because it's God's perfect caliber. I'll believe him for now with a healthy dose of side-eye, at this point I'm just happy it's not 88 or some poo poo)

Front suspension and brakes all set up. There are now speed holes in the rotor hats

Final wheel fitment

Sebring is on July 1st. Just have to get this thing put back in now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want to hear the song that thing plays, looks fuckin rad.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a setup that is basically a decent sized screen with the Assetto Corsa delta widget? I have an AIM Solo 2 DL but it isn't really super easy to watch out of the corner of my eye. Of course, the Haltech IC7 doesn't support lap timers and the AIM dash is insanely expensive because AIM.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't but would like to know too. After playing iRacing and getting instant feedback it would be awesome.

My instructor had some kind of racing Garmin. He said he mostly used it for video + overlay but it seemed to have lap timer functions too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

I don't but would like to know too. After playing iRacing and getting instant feedback it would be awesome.

My instructor had some kind of racing Garmin. He said he mostly used it for video + overlay but it seemed to have lap timer functions too.

That Garmin looks super nice and has what I am looking for display wise, if only there was a mini version of it.

This VBOX thing looks great but lol at the price. https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=36

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's halfway to a full pro datalogger.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I finished the first consecutive season (September 2022 to May 2023) with the BRZ since KSwapping it yesterday - my region doesn't run events in June through September so I call it our offseason.

21 events, 10 TT5 wins, 5 separate TT5 track records in the Arizona / SoCal regions, and zero events where I broke early and had to pack up and leave. I went into it figuring there'd be a lot to sort, but it hasn't been too terrible though I didn't truly get the car working like I wanted to setup wise until I switched to 17" wheels / 255 Maxxis in February of this year. It is basically the spiritual successor to my S2000 at this point, pretty drat happy with the car.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hell yeah congrats! West coast seasons seem wild on date ranges from the other side.

I'm glad to hear you're digging the k swap. I'm not sure when I'll try to do that to my car but its on the short list.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

21 events with no DNF or failures is pretty amazing. I guess those engines have a reputation for a reason. Congrats on the wins and records!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you both :) Hopefully it stays reliable.

honda whisperer, if you end up deciding to go down the path shoot me a pm, there've been a lot of learnings along the way to share.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Will do for sure. Need a truck and trailer first though so it'll be a while.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Any of y'all run anything like the garmin catalyst? I'm a big need who loves data, would love some first person accounts if it's helpful at all

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011

Sipher posted:

Any of y'all run anything like the garmin catalyst? I'm a big need who loves data, would love some first person accounts if it's helpful at all

I use one. I like it as a lap timer and the coaching prompts are fine. I mostly use it to review sessions and see where I can improve. It doesn’t connect to OBD2 so it’s probably not going to provide the data you want. I’m running Torque on a cheapo Android tablet to log car data and I’ve found that’s worked okay but is sometimes unreliable.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Nyyyoooooooooom :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nV4ziyZJp0

SUPER SERIOUS ELANTRA N TRACK REVIEW:

Course was NCM motorsport park, Bowling Green, KY.

Car was rock solid, sans literally my last lap, at which point it went into limp mode, or something? To be honest I'm not sure what happened, I was at redline about to shift to fourth, then the car cut power and would bounce off 4k revs like it was hitting the limiter. I don't know if this was 'limp mode' or what, there were no warnings on my gauges, no check engine light, no nothing. No further side effects from what I can tell, so I'm going to pretend like it never happened.

Three 20 minute sessions, temps were in the high 90's, car never overheated or felt like it was wearing out. Bone stock. Pilot 4's were great as far as my limited ability is concerned, but they inflated waayyyyy more due to temperature than I would expect. I rolled in at like 32 ish PSI and they were getting to 46-48 PSI during laps and losing all turn-in. You can induce over-steer in this car by liftoff/taping brakes in mid corner, which I did frequently at the beginning, because I have only ever driven RWD. I started to get the hang of it, using the gas to suck you INTO an apex is a very weird feeling. I am probably going to get a tune at some point to get rid of the octane learning this car does because it never gave me the advertised 20PSI boost despite having 93 octane in it at all times since I've bought it. Really dumb feature.

As for NCM itself, I really liked the track, but there is a, not sure what to call this, elongated(?) hairpin turn, turn #10, and I at no point figured out how to do this turn correctly. I felt like a moron through that one every time. This is the turn in question:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's a lot of psi gain. How experienced are you with tracking cars?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

honda whisperer posted:

That's a lot of psi gain. How experienced are you with tracking cars?

intermediate I would say? Tracked an ND miata pretty frequently, did a few sessions with my Cayman S, didn't track my Stinger at all

this was my first time on this course in particular, so my mental bandwidth was pretty full, wasn't really monitoring tires during laps, only after. I took the air out and had a much better third session but session two I was sliding everywhere

Scionix fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 4, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Cool gotcha.

NCM is in my area but I've never been. I'm excited to try and get down there this year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's a fun track, fairly technical with some higher speed stuff. I ran it early 2019 with the locost and would like to get back.

10 is tricky and once you figure it out you're carrying way more speed into #12 which that picture doesn't show is blind and has a very wide track out section for a reason, plenty of pucker moments there.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's a fun track, fairly technical with some higher speed stuff. I ran it early 2019 with the locost and would like to get back.

10 is tricky and once you figure it out you're carrying way more speed into #12 which that picture doesn't show is blind and has a very wide track out section for a reason, plenty of pucker moments there.

I flew over #12 in my first session and almost pooped myself, can confirm

Other than #10, my main issue was you carry a ton of speed into two uphill braking zones where you can't see the end of the track/the start of the turn, and I found that really hard mentally. Was going WAY slower than I probably had to.

Scionix fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 4, 2023

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Scionix posted:

I flew over #12 in my first session and almost pooped myself, can confirm

Other than #10, my main issue was you carry a ton of speed into two uphill braking zones where you can't see the end of the track/the start of the turn, and I found that really hard mentally. Was going WAY slower than I probably had to.

Blind corners / turn ins are a lot of fun. You'll build up speed with them the more you know the track, but it's something I've worked on with literally every beginner I've rode with at my home track. The track will be in the same spot it was last lap, convincing yourself of this is the fun part.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Scionix posted:

….because it never gave me the advertised 20PSI boost despite having 93 octane in it at all times since I've bought it. Really dumb feature.

Maybe it was limiting boost due to high intake temps and track driving for safety. Does it give you 20 psi on a cool day with street driving?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

i own every Bionicle posted:

Maybe it was limiting boost due to high intake temps and track driving for safety. Does it give you 20 psi on a cool day with street driving?

No, it has never given me above 15. The owner’s manual has a whole procedure to help the car octane learn (constant speed between 70-80 for 5-10 minutes), but this has never worked for me.

The car actually never even got close to heat being an issue, which surprised me. The temps where you should start to let the car cool off are 275 on the oil and 250 on the engine, from what I’ve read, and I never really got close to those.

We had 3 20 minute sessions, with 40 minutes between each session, and the oil/engine temps were getting all the way back down to sub 200 between sessions, even at 95 degrees ambient

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Search isn't cooperating with awful.app, so sorry if old news.

I'm just coming out of the 6 hours at the Glen with an engineer friend and this site came up from a friend of his.

Do you guys know of this? Apparently, deeply discounted tires with 1-2 heat cycles. Word was that the vendor dude helps teams "recycle" race tires after the initial maximum grip is depeted, and sells them for pennies on the dollar.

http://jbracingtires.net/index.htm

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 28, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No idea how good that seller is but bookmarked.

People selling / ditching tires at an alarming rate when they go even slightly off is very much a thing though.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I don't know if its true anymore, but you used to be able to go to cruise around the paddock at an IMSA race and grab a whole bunch of used tires. Congrats to someone if they've managed to turn that into a business.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Real company, has been around for years; only catch is that past a point you really just do need to shell out for new tires on the schedule that keeps that guy in business. If you're not trying to go past that point, definitely is a deal.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

I don't know if its true anymore, but you used to be able to go to cruise around the paddock at an IMSA race and grab a whole bunch of used tires. Congrats to someone if they've managed to turn that into a business.

I believe that's EXACTLY what has happened here.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
JB has been around forever, people used to use him as a source for Hoosier R6s/R7s at my local track. Would have a pallet shipped to the border and someone would haul them back. Pretty much have to call them to find out what they actually have in stock at the time cause it can vary a lot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Didn't see these posted, discount codes from Jzilla

Preheat the Petit at Road Atlanta September 16 - 17. 10% Off using HAWK10 discount code. - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/jzilla-preheat-petit-by-hawk-performance-michelin-raceway-road-atlanta-trackdays-691257

Jzilla Offroad and Car Control Clinic September 23 Barber Motorsports Park $25 off using discount code EARLYSAVINGS25 - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/jzilla-good-time-emporium-barber-motorsports-park-trackdays-843452

Discovery Parts 10% off - Use promo code JZILLASAFE - https://discoveryparts.com/

Hawkperformance.com - 30% off one time use this year. Use promo code JZILLADTC2023 - https://www.hawkperformance.com/

Nine Lives Racing Free Shipping offer - use discount code JZILLAFREESHIP - https://9livesracing.com/

Apex Pro - 10% off use discount code jzilliansarekewl2023 - https://apextrackcoach.com/

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

xpostin from the Porsche thread:

CCCR PCA HDPE at Laguna Seca:

https://i.imgur.com/8erda5u.mp4

If you ever have the chance to drive this track, DO IT.

The most amazing car out there was my instructor's 1960 356 Speedster. Also two new GT4RS and one new GT3RS.

Everyone was talking about the corkscrew, but I found the blind crests at turns 1 and 7 much scarier. Especially going 105mph over turn 1.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Second that. Definitely a bucket list track. The history, the area, the track itself. Volkzda didn't like it so much but it has more power and more tire now so I should probably get back there and try it again. I just did Thunderhill West again on Saturday. Set personal bests in 4 straight sessions, beat the previous best by 2 whole seconds. 75% of that was due to the tires for sure, went from Maxxis VR to RC. They actually behave fairly similarly to the VR, but with no alignment or suspension changes, the car handled perfectly balanced and the tires wore dead even across the face on all 4 tires. I probably had everything set a bit too aggressively for the VRs to begin with so the RCs stepped right in.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 29, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's fortunate, I've been through dozens of sets of RC1s between the S2000, Miata, and BRZ. They wore super evenly for me on both double wishbone cars, but I've yet to get the fronts to wear evenly on the BRZ strut front end, drives me nuts.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I recently replaced the cooling system on the E36 and I finally signed up for my first HPDE event. Anyone here going to be at Summit Point next weekend?

E: omg wtf this avatar.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 7, 2023

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

That's fortunate, I've been through dozens of sets of RC1s between the S2000, Miata, and BRZ. They wore super evenly for me on both double wishbone cars, but I've yet to get the fronts to wear evenly on the BRZ strut front end, drives me nuts.

I spoke too soon. Did T-Hill west reverse on Sunday. Left side tires, especially the rear, got their asses beat. Holy poo poo it's a tough track in reverse but man is it fun. At least the tire flogging wasn't in vain, I set a new personal best there again down to 1:33 flat. The car is definitely capable of more but now I have to do a trans rebuild and the front brakes NEED to be upgraded to 4 piston calipers on 11" rotors, stock fronts are absolutely cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Does anyone have experience with the OMP ARS-R fixed-back seat (or any other similar OMP seat), particularly in a car that does dual street/track duty? It would be for an E92 M3, and I'd only be changing the driver's side so that the passenger airbag system and folding seat access are retained.

I'd also be interested in hearing about experiences with alternatives to OMP - I've only cross-shopped Recaro so far but the price difference is significant.