Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: damnit, meant to edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Does anyone have experience with the OMP ARS-R fixed-back seat (or any other similar OMP seat), particularly in a car that does dual street/track duty? It would be for an E92 M3, and I'd only be changing the driver's side so that the passenger airbag system and folding seat access are retained.

I'd also be interested in hearing about experiences with alternatives to OMP - I've only cross-shopped Recaro so far but the price difference is significant.

Check out MurrayMotorsport in Ireland for seats. Pretty much impossible to beat the prices even with shipping.

Joe Mama posted:

I spoke too soon. Did T-Hill west reverse on Sunday. Left side tires, especially the rear, got their asses beat. Holy poo poo it's a tough track in reverse but man is it fun. At least the tire flogging wasn't in vain, I set a new personal best there again down to 1:33 flat. The car is definitely capable of more but now I have to do a trans rebuild and the front brakes NEED to be upgraded to 4 piston calipers on 11" rotors, stock fronts are absolutely cooked.

Always nice to have more video in the thread .... :) I've had a hard time getting the RC1 to wear evenly, usually it does some weird mountain poo poo as it folds over on itself. Usually running slightly higher pressures (like 36 hot) helps.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still pissed at Recaro for their handling of the Pole Position defects, but I love the Sparcos I currently have in the car and they weren't terribly expensive from Murray.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Does anyone have experience with the OMP ARS-R fixed-back seat (or any other similar OMP seat), particularly in a car that does dual street/track duty? It would be for an E92 M3, and I'd only be changing the driver's side so that the passenger airbag system and folding seat access are retained.

I'd also be interested in hearing about experiences with alternatives to OMP - I've only cross-shopped Recaro so far but the price difference is significant.

We run an HTE-R in our Lemons car and like it a lot. It looks like the ARS-R is a little more narrow which I would actually like better as the HTE-R is a little wider than I prefer (5’7’’, 140lbs, ~30 waist)

My favorite seat is the Recaro Profi SPG that I used to run in my Miata but it’s definitely on the snug side. Would probably have to get an XL or Pole Position if you’re much bigger. Super super comfy and great support once you’re in, but kind of a pain to daily especially with harnesses. Currently on sim duty since it doesn’t fit easily in my Exige but I would run that seat in every track car if I could.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Always nice to have more video in the thread .... :) I've had a hard time getting the RC1 to wear evenly, usually it does some weird mountain poo poo as it folds over on itself. Usually running slightly higher pressures (like 36 hot) helps.

I was using Track Addict on my phone and the mount sucks so the video is nausea inducing. That's what my left RC1s did, the center band especially kinda wore into a mountain peak or saw tooth. I was running 34-35 so I'll bump it up.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

BlackMK4 posted:

Check out MurrayMotorsport in Ireland for seats. Pretty much impossible to beat the prices even with shipping.

Thanks for the tip, just checked out the site and indeed those are some great prices, plus I'm in the EU already so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

We run an HTE-R in our Lemons car and like it a lot. It looks like the ARS-R is a little more narrow which I would actually like better as the HTE-R is a little wider than I prefer (5’7’’, 140lbs, ~30 waist)

My favorite seat is the Recaro Profi SPG that I used to run in my Miata but it’s definitely on the snug side. Would probably have to get an XL or Pole Position if you’re much bigger. Super super comfy and great support once you’re in, but kind of a pain to daily especially with harnesses. Currently on sim duty since it doesn’t fit easily in my Exige but I would run that seat in every track car if I could.

Good to know re: HTE-R vs ARS-R - I'm also 5'7" but with a 34" waist, perhaps the ARS-R would be a bit snug.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2024 NASA Nationals is going to be at Utah Motorsports Campus aka Miller Motorsports Park.

Guess I'm planning on going, TT5 seems stupid competitive nationally right now but gently caress it - it'll be a fun experience. I've more or less locked up the NASA AZ TT5 championship at this point.

Remaining year track calendar looks like the following, if anyone else is going to some AZ/Socal events.
Sept 23 - Chuckwalla
Oct 21-22 - Arizona Motorsports Park
Nov 11-12 - Attesa
Dec 2-3 Chuckwalla
Dec 9 - Arizona Motorsports Park

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 10, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I spent a weekend at Summit Point on the Shenandoah Circuit. It was my first HPDE and I now have a bit of track fever. It was so so fun. I had an enormous stupid grin on my face all weekend.

These Pagid pads were new the day before. They threw in the towel after 1/2 lap.

Thankfully the track shop had an alternative to $400 PFC pads so I borrowed a jack from a paddock neighbor and swapped them out to go out the next day.

S52 didn’t skip a beat all weekend and rolled over 290k on the way home.

Where is a good place/forum to hang out for more track oriented bmw info? I have a couple small changes I want to make before I go again but I’d like to research (suspension) in the meantime.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat, that's a cool looking track layout. Congrats on your new addiction and RIP to your bank account.

Don't gently caress with your suspension until you get more experience. Your car is almost certainly not the limiting factor yet.

Replace your brake fluid though. You don't want to find out what boiling fluid feels like at the 200 marker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well it's entirely possible the suspension is past worn out and could use a replacement

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My instructor said I was at the limit of what the combination of suspension, tires, and brakes could do. And I believed him. Beyond the Hawk pads I swapped in the car is stock and was VERY boaty around the track. It feels flat around town but the body roll was incredible and very distracting. It has new hi temp brake fluid and a new cooling system. The original suspension is toast as the car has a ton of miles on it.

It felt great to be able to drive the car around the limit and get to know it at track speeds.

I feel fortunate that I ended up at that track, with that group, (dc scca) and with the instructor that I had for the my first time out. A+ would recommend 100%.

I went out twice to ride along in his fully prepped e46 M3. I could have done that all day. Familiar to my car but just more of everything: grip, brakes, power, and revs.

So far I’ve only bought used cat back exhaust and track wheels so I feel pretty restrained. The fever is real.

I need to do something with the suspension so I’m reading up on that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Has anyone used Serious Racing with any success? I just found out about this the other day, and figured I'd give it a shot. I bought RaceBox earlier this year and have 11 sessions saved. I was able to upload 1 of them, but the other 10 seemed to upload but never processed? Now if I try to upload them, they all report as duplicate :smith:

I created an entirely new account, and none of the files will upload at all, even the one which I uploaded on the other account. I tried the email submittal, but it doesn't work either.

The RaceBox iOS app is nice enough, but the website is too basic, so I was hoping this would kind of bridge the gap.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

BlackMK4 posted:

2024 NASA Nationals is going to be at Utah Motorsports Campus aka Miller Motorsports Park.

Guess I'm planning on going, TT5 seems stupid competitive nationally right now but gently caress it - it'll be a fun experience. I've more or less locked up the NASA AZ TT5 championship at this point.

Remaining year track calendar looks like the following, if anyone else is going to some AZ/Socal events.
Sept 23 - Chuckwalla
Oct 21-22 - Arizona Motorsports Park
Nov 11-12 - Attesa
Dec 2-3 Chuckwalla
Dec 9 - Arizona Motorsports Park

How is Miller? I'm tentatively planning to go to 2024 NASA nats there.

So Oct 28-29 is the last NASA race at Chuckwalla for us in SoCal, are you going dec 2-3?

I won Spec944 championship last year and then this year I haven't done one race :( I had elbow surgery and it's better now, but I'm probably just going to skip the whole year and come back 2024 with 2 cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aventari posted:

How is Miller? I'm tentatively planning to go to 2024 NASA nats there.

So Oct 28-29 is the last NASA race at Chuckwalla for us in SoCal, are you going dec 2-3?

I won Spec944 championship last year and then this year I haven't done one race :( I had elbow surgery and it's better now, but I'm probably just going to skip the whole year and come back 2024 with 2 cars.

I haven't been yet, we're going to be running the outer loop for nats so it looks kinda cool.

I wasn't planning on go to the NASA SoCal event since it isn't a crossover this year for whatever reason, the 2-3 thing is a 86Cup Speedventures thing so I figured I'd go have fun with some other 86 people.

Congratulations on the championship :) Two cars would definitely be nice over a season.... I went for 4th from the top of 3rd before the bowl going CCW on Saturday and got 2nd gear. 9800rpm on the log (7800 is my rev limit, 7300 is stock for the motor) and the clutch disk came apart, I think the motor is fine based on borescope / compression but the idea of a stretched or fatigued rod bolt puts a bit of fear in me.

Currently debating putting another junkyard K24 into the thing out of caution since I have to pull the transmission off anyway.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 25, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Here is a pic from track.

I was just looking to make a couple basic changes to the car buuuuuuut someone posted a used Bilstein B16 PSS9 coilover kit bundled with Turner sway bars and camber plates so I bought it all. And a cat back. And wheels. And tires.

Insert money on fire icon here.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
That's a nice, well-rounded track package though. Money well spent.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Joe Mama posted:

That's a nice, well-rounded track package though. Money well spent.

I was planning on just doing more events before I did anything else but I’m pretty stoked to put this pile of parts on the car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ThirstyBuck posted:

I was just looking to make a couple basic changes to the car buuuuuuut someone posted a used Bilstein B16 PSS9 coilover kit bundled with Turner sway bars and camber plates so I bought it all. And a cat back. And wheels. And tires.

Insert money on fire icon here.

:homebrew::getin: That's going to be a really good combo. What tires did you go with?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

:homebrew::getin: That's going to be a really good combo. What tires did you go with?

Thanks. I’m excited like a kid in a candy store to get it all on the car and back to the track. It has new Firehawks on the back so I just ordered a matching set for the 8.5” wheels I got for the front to make it square.

It understeered badly w/old Hankook Ventus somethings 225/45/17 on the front and new 245/40/17 Firehawks on the rear.

Not super exciting but I figure I’ll learn a lot as I wear through this set.

E: If this is a huge mistake then I can still change the order.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 30, 2023

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Any ferodo users in this thread? I'm considering switching to 1.11 or 3.12 in the M3 on track. How durable are they? Will it share rotors with oem pads? No judder?

I've been using Pagid RSL29 and they get the job done, but longevity is just LOL up front. 1 weekend at MSRH (not hard on brakes) and 2 at COTA (very hard on brakes) and the fronts are completely done. Had to come in a lap early on the final session because one pad had thinned to the point of delamination. At current prices, I'm burning through $200 of front brake pad alone in a weekend at COTA.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I got all of my stuff bolted on and I signed up to go back to Summit Point mid-October but got waitlisted. I’m not sure what the likely hood of being not-waitlisted is. Is it limited by the amount of instructors they have available? Anyone here going ? I hope the weather isn’t bad.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I've got an ND MX-5/Miata daily pretty well setup for the track (coilovers, sways, full chassis bracing and struts, rpf1s with semi slicks). Its a grippy car limited a bit by the slippery leather seats - and as it's a daily I don't want to change to a racing bucket (it'd waste the money I spent on seat lowering too - first Paco then Blackworks/Aurora).

CG locks are no longer available, but I've come up with two ideas for the next track day and was hoping for some feedback from others that have encountered the same issue:

Lap belt: I've bought a metal child seat locking mechanism to hopefully lock the lap belt into a tight position.

Torso support/stability (in addition to the standard belt) l: planning on chucking a strap around my torso and the seat to see how it goes - one of these - https://behrents.com/parts/g-force-racing-torso-harness-red-4290rd.asp

I think I can manage to get the torso strap in a position that won't interfere with the seat side airbags - has anyone tried similar?

I did 50-60 laps around a 5km high-g track last week and felt like I'd been hit by a bus for days afterwards, trying to thread the needle of increasing body stability without going full race car.

Neither option would present an issue for scrutineering, since the vehicles are assessed at the start of the day and no further checks are done - the events I'm attending are fine with just three point belts and a helmet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You’re not setup for the track; get another car or do buckets

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/rallye-4-asm/

This is designed to let you do the harness style strap yourself in thing but also be safe without the full cage and accessories.

Also there are daily comfy buckets out there and they'll probably get you even lower.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

honda whisperer posted:

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/rallye-4-asm/

This is designed to let you do the harness style strap yourself in thing but also be safe without the full cage and accessories.

Also there are daily comfy buckets out there and they'll probably get you even lower.

Excellent, thanks Honda! I'll take a look at that one and have a chat with some race stores here. It's a daily car (60k miles and counting) that sees track a couple of times a year and regular spirited hills runs, not warranted at this point. Most of the other cars out on track on the days I go are street driven Porsche etc all with stock seats - not doing the equivalent of the US HPDE/wheel to wheel stuff. Cage, bucket seats etc aren't legal on the roads here (Aus) so it's either three point harness and stock seat in road car, or track car trailered to the events.

Phone posted:

You’re not setup for the track; get another car or do buckets
Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes - you started dipping a toe in the water by going full racecar?

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 10, 2023

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Isolationist posted:

Excellent, thanks Honda! I'll take a look at that one and have a chat with some race stores here. It's a daily car (60k miles and counting) that sees track a couple of times a year and regular spirited hills runs, not warranted at this point. Most of the other cars out on track on the days I go are street driven Porsche etc all with stock seats - not doing the equivalent of the US HPDE/wheel to wheel stuff. Cage, bucket seats etc aren't legal on the roads here (Aus) so it's either three point harness and stock seat in road car, or track car trailered to the events.

Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes - you started dipping a toe in the water by going full racecar?

I would be confirming with Schroth that those are suitable for an ND. You didn't mention a roll bar, and I don't know where you'd attach the inner shoulder strap on a miata, as there are only going to be 3 anchor points in the car from the factory. I'd be really nervous lapping an ND (you didn't mention if it's an RF or not) without a roll bar - around here, you won't get on track in an ND without a roll bar (RF you can). If you don't have a roll bar there's no situation that I'd recommend those 4-point belts in. In the event of a rollover without a roll bar, your body needs to be able to move, otherwise your neck & head become the support point for the car. Hell even with a stock seat and belt this is a huge concern without a roll bar.

Phone's response is because people all too frequently take liberties with safety. If you're at the point where you're feeling like you've been hit by a bus after lapping, you're at the point where a roll bar, proper belts and a bucket seat are the next step, along with a HANS device. Otherwise, stick with the stock seats and belts and live with how much it beats you up - this is safer than any other option.

No one's trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes here, should things go wrong proper safety is the difference between serious permanent injury / death and walking away with some bumps and bruises.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 10, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Isolationist posted:

I did 2 HPDEs in a bone stock NA Miata. I used the insurance payout when a neighbor totaled the car that Christmas to buy a suspension (sway bar, coilovers, wheels, etc.).

The next HPDE I attended, I spent the entire weekend with my knee in the door card and holding onto the steering wheel to keep myself in the seat.

The next time I took it on the track, I had buckets and 6 points.

I have no patience for people getting cute when it comes to safety stuff. The point of safety gear is to prevent injury or death When Something Goes Wrong; as far as I know, nobody goes to a track day planning to crash.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone is correct. To be safe you don't put in harnesses until you have fixed back seats but you don't do that until you have at minimum a half cage with a proper harness bar... And at that point you're better off with a 5 or 6 point harness and you should have HANS or similar. Also after driving something with all that stuff you'll feel naked driving on a track with anything less.

Restraints are a full system and doing it partially can be very dangerous.

Absolute bare minimum I would do in a Miata is scca/nasa/etc rated roll bar with proper harness mount points and a 4-point harness.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NASA scrutineering will absolutely tell you to go home if you have half of a proper harness setup.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Righto, cheers for the feedback guys. Basically not legal to modify any street car here (NA and NB street cars here you'll see out on track with some aftermarket rear roll cages, they sneak under cop attention by being entirely charming I'd guess) so definitely no buckets or full cage.

I'll abandon the idea of half-assed improving driver stability and stick with stock gear for the rare times out on track - and have sent an email to Black Bird/Hard Dog (preferable due to diagonals) regarding a roll bar and the possibility of getting one shipped. Again entirely not legal here, but potentially close enough looking to stock to avoid getting my car defected for illegal mods.

Purely as a snapshot for you guys of the setup in Aus (we don't have SCCA, NASA etc - though from what I can see ND soft tops are allowed out with stock hoops in certain grades etc over in the states?) the requirements to go out on track in most events are (keeping in mind insurance won't offer any coverage on track here, making the AMG's/Ferraris that go out either insanely slow or anus-puckering when they spin out):

Requirement 1: online 'race licence', basically a few slides you click yes on and $100 USD per year
Requirement 2: in-vehicle fire extinguisher
Requirement 3: (sometimes) tow points mounted with blue arrows highlighting location

The cars (unless a full race event/championship sort of thing) aren't generally scrutineered - you'll be out on track and wonder why an A45 flying past you doesnt have tow points mounted or any stickers, and when you chat with the driver later they won't even know what you mean when you ask.

When you go out on track you're either paying $300-400 USD for 5-6 20 minute sessions (a state level points 'championship' sort of thing), or $400-$1000 USD for more time out on track for events where a private org has hired the track for 'non timed' events - the best being ones where the track is open for participants for 6+ hours with no sessions, you just head out and run data logging via RaceChrono or Track Addict. Get stuck in traffic/tired, pull out to the car park and wait a bit before heading back out.

There's not really any universally understood point-by etc system - you get a five minute talk before most events with the organisers explaining what the flags mean, asking for no crashes and for participants to "not be dicks". This means you'll have a fair combo of people indicating to the side they're moving to to let you pass, indicating to the side they want you to pass on, point-by's, or utterly ignoring you while you're stuck behind them lap after lap.

Due to the lack of insurance and our draconian car mod restrictions for street cars, you'll generally see three categories of cars out on track (typically at the same time):

Street cars with stock seats etc, tending toward the performance end for obvious reasons:
Porsche, AMG Mercs, modern BMW M cars, Ferraris, McLaren's and and Lambos down to toyobarus/newer miatas. Due to the lack of insurance coverage, these are generally blisteringly fast on the straight (the reason I think they go to track - max speed on the street anywhere is 68 MP/H with an incredibly active police force). These drivers are often inexperienced and most events I've seen to you'll see one or more spin/slide off track, crash into something or have a mechanical failure from lack of preparation (second to last event I went to had an 86 blow something and dump oil, then catch fire and keep driving before all the oil caught alight and it span out).

Track cars:
Fully caged cheaper cars with bucket seats etc, window nets and branding. One of the best and most common on the lower end is the humble Hyundai Excel driven shockingly quickly - with each event typically having a few 90s M3's, old race prepped NA/NB Miatas, or one or two ridiculously loud and fast old Australian muscle cars stripped of all weight making earthquake noises (same niche as your camaro/mustang people?). These drivers are typically all fast but cautious around other drivers (understandably).

Oddball cars:
Caterhams were made locally for a bit under the name Puma Clubman, so you'll see some of them out on track with SR20DET's or more. Home made racecars from various local engineering groups will be seen, often looking like a go-kart with F1 car aero. There's the also typically one or two people at each event bringing some high strung and ridiculously quick built race car of one variety or another (think FD RX-7 worth more than a house etc) that is basically trailered all over the country getting track lap records at venues.

This all sounds quite disorganised and dangerous compared to the US system I imagine - it's a low pop country though with only a few racetracks nationally (three within a 500 mile radius of me). Speeding/driving aggressively on the street here will result in a loss of your driver's licence very quickly, and legally speaking everything is setup in such a way that you can't modify your car at all without it being illegal or uninsurable. If a policeman pulls you over and doesn't think your wheels are OEM spec, or suspects your steering wheel has been changed from factory, or your car is too low (meaning possibly modified from factory spec thus illegal), your car gets 'defected' and can't be driven on the road. For this to be cleared, the car needs to be trailered to a government inspection station where it'll go on a hoist and be checked over to make sure that everything matches the Australian Design Rules (meaning everything needs to be stock/factory).

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If they do make that 4 point for your car there may be a way to set it up with clips that would allow you to quickly clip it on at the track, and stow it in your trunk for the drive home.

If you go roll bar and 5 point you can definitely get proper rated eyelets and clips to mount a harness quickly. Your shoulder straps will have to be threaded through the buckles everytime but that's easy.

+1 for no full harness without at least a full rollbar.

Sorry about your modding laws.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man goonspeed but gently caress aussie laws that does not sound cool or fun at all holy hell.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

TheBacon posted:

Man goonspeed but gently caress aussie laws that does not sound cool or fun at all holy hell.

Yeah, Mad Max lied 😢. Thanks for the tips guys - I've bought some mounting points for the ND (https://rev9autosport.com/nd-16/interior/harnesses/FUJIMURASEATBELTANCHOR.HTML) and a Scroth Rallye 4 ASM, which I'll wear in addition to the factory three point.

Wrar posted:

Y'all don't have road legal roll bars? That's odd. They make the car safer.

The government doesn't care about safety, they care about whether they've been paid to certify something as safe. When a vehicle or vehicle part is set to be released here, it needs to go through a governmental process (at applicant cost) to demonstrate that the part or vehicle passes the Australian Design Rules (list of requirements). No application/no pass? No certification.

You can pay to get things 'engineered' yourself (tested and signed off by a certified engineer authorised by the gov/licencing body), but there are downsides: costly, not recognised from state to state (so if you move interstate you either now have a car that can't leave the shed or need to go through the process again with a local engineer and hope that it works for you again with the separate state's DMV). Police aren't generally educated in the specifics of the laws they're enforcing (instead just broad strokes) so you're still able to be defected for an engineered mod, meaning you have to (at your own cost) trailer car to government facility and pay for an inspection. The inspectors will rubber stamp the engineered item that got you caught, but still inspect the rest of the car - hope you didn't modify the exhaust, or put coilovers on it, or a big brake kit, or have tires that extend beyond the body of your car etc - if you did, you fail inspection, have to return the car to stock and apply to go through the process again. Vehicles have been known to be defected bone stock - numerous instances of vehicles that, by design (and in compliance with the ADR's), are quite modified-looking being defected on the way home from being purchased brand new and stock. There's naturally an element of socio-economic targeting and blind spots with the application of the law too - giant modified lifted bro-dozer 4wd's happily drive around for years in violation without a cop batting an eyelid, but if you drive a 'hoon' car or are driving around blasting drum and bass your mileage may vary.

My favourite of this locally was an instance where a learner motorcyclist was road raged heavily by a crazy person on the street. He rode into a local police station, took his helmet in to report the issue to the police - and provide the footage that was on his helmet-mounted Go-Pro. Police reviewed footage at his insistence, then gave him a multiple hundred dollar ticket to him for having a mount for the camera on his helmet in violation of the ADR's. When he complained about this (citing that police motorcycle helmets have the same mount in the same location), they walked outside and defected his bone stock Ninja 400.

Australia has a lot of this sort of thing - Fallout 3's Med-X was originally set to be called morphine worldwide, but this would have resulted in it being refused classification in Australia and so banned from being sold here. Bethesda changed it to Med-X worldwide to allow them to sell it here.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2023

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Y'all don't have road legal roll bars? That's odd. They make the car safer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So there's been delays and two missed races, but the MkII Supra is ready for the next nearby ChampCar race, at Atlanta Motorsports Park next weekend:

https://i.imgur.com/1PXtY73.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/JZkiUzB.mp4

The splitter and wing are the last things that get attached after trailer transport (i.e. for dyno tuning) but it can still somehow survive on the brick streets of Ybor. The exhaust may be too low though, I'll be surprised if it survives the track honestly

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 21, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've more or less finished the first full calendar year of track days with the K24 BRZ - I'm doing a private track event this weekend but it'll mostly be helping a friend sort their new K24 Elise.

I won the regional TT5 championship and now hold 7 track records between NASA SoCal and NASA Arizona with the car.

Arizona Motorsports Park CW - 1:46.361
Arizona Motorsports Park CCW - 1:47.737
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway CW - 1:58.709 (NASA AZ and NASA SoCal)
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway CCW - 1:58.277 (NASA AZ and NASA SoCal)
Podium Club @ Attesa CW - 1:43.578
Podium Club @ Attesa CCW - 1:41.579
Wild Horse Pass East - 1:02.144

Basic setup is 200whp, 2900lb with me in it, 255/40/17 Maxxis RC1 on 17x9.5 wheels, coilovers, rear upper control arms, sway bars, some poly bushings, plywood splitter, and a baby Verus wing.

The car was incredibly reliable this year other than the shift selector rod failure and associated preventative motor swap, the only complaint I have about it is how fast it goes through tires even with -5* / -2.8* camber. 3-4 days and that is it, which is half of what I was seeing out of the S2000 and Miata on the same tire. Fuckin strut cars.

Few pics from this year

Anyway, I hope it continues to stay reliable for 2024. I dyno'd again a couple of months ago and the numbers have allowed me to order some faster tires to try in a few weeks - RE71RS it is.

Going to give NASA nationals a shot in August, but I've been unable to shake the itch to build something double wishbone to fit into a much less restrictive ruleset... like a TT2 or TT3 Elise with a K24, a VW DCT, and a MK60E5 ABS unit. We will see, maybe time for two track cars. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 27, 2023

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

Going to give NASA nationals a shot in August, but I've been unable to shake the itch to build something double wishbone to fit into a much less restrictive ruleset... like a TT2 or TT3 Elise with a K24, a VW DCT, and a MK60E5 ABS unit. We will see, maybe time for two track cars. :)
Double wishbone...?

https://kpower.industries/blogs/news/the-k24-nc-swap-is-finally-coming

Though depends on how far you want to go on lightness, but NCs are _great_ at holding up to track use with a few changes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
After spending a lot of time and money to sort the issues with the so called track ready KPower BRZ swap kit it is my general opinion that they are to be avoided. I haven't posted much detail about the car on SA much over the past couple years but it has been a journey.

A NC sounds like a great option for a K. Seems the fenders can swallow a 17x10 pretty easily too :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 29, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’d be interested in what you have to say about the k24 swap issues

I’m looking to get back into things and I’m idly looking at NCs and ZZWs… I have some apprehension about the MR2 because it’s struts on all 4 corners…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Buy your NA back.