Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I posted this in the BMW thread but it's more appropriate here. Is there a general consensus on the safety of tracking a car with a patched tire?

My Giulia QV picked up a bolt in the tread yesterday. Got it patched at Discount Tire. Can it hold up to an HPDE day?

The tire has 2700 miles so I could get a new tire under the road hazard warranty, shave it down, and get it swapped over. But that's a big pain in the rear end and I don't have a lot of free time during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire manufacturer's lawyers will say that the tire officially no longer has the speed rating after a puncture and repair. However, I and others have run patched tires on track before without incident plenty of times. When you say "bolt", do you mean typical nail/screw sized puncture or something worse?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

The bolt head looked to be ~12mm. It was definitely larger than a nail. The tire shop didn't call that out as a problem.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire shop is mainly concerned about whether it'll hold air. On track, you also need to be concerned about how much the structural integrity was compromised.

12MM head should be an M8 bolt, so 8mm shank.

If the bolt head went through the carcass (12mm hole), I would not drive that tire on track.
If just the thread went through (8mm hole), I'd consider that pushing the upper bound of what's acceptable to repair for track work.

I wouldn't worry about shaving a new tire if the complementary one just has 2700 street miles (put the new tire on which ever side will wear harder for your track direction) . Does it make it easier to source the replacement if you just get a new one and throw it on?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

It does, for sure. The Tire Rack road hazard warranty pre-approved me for a replacement. I think it covers installation as well. I'm bad with physics - if the course runs clockwise would it be the left side tires that get more load?

To your other question, the bolt head didn't go all the way through but it got close. I'll push forward with the replacement.

One more thing. I measured the tread of the undamaged rear right tire and it was between 7/32" - 8/32" depending on where it was measured. New is 10/32" tread depth. Still in the clear for running an unshaved tire?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

One of my Hankook RS4s picked up a screw in the outermost tread block (so, highest heat/load part of the tire) and was patched at the NASA AZ tire trailer, and was fine. I'd glance at it between sessions, but wouldn't be worried.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It does, for sure. The Tire Rack road hazard warranty pre-approved me for a replacement. I think it covers installation as well. I'm bad with physics - if the course runs clockwise would it be the left side tires that get more load?
Typically, yes, unless you have some really hard left handers to counteract the fact that you're doing more net right turns.

quote:

One more thing. I measured the tread of the undamaged rear right tire and it was between 7/32" - 8/32" depending on where it was measured. New is 10/32" tread depth. Still in the clear for running an unshaved tire?

Yes

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks guys. I’m going to order the tire tonight.

Any Phoenix-area goons doing the Pro Autosports AMP day on May 11, hit me up.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Track weekend: One day of rain on and off and then another that was beautiful. Summit Point Main is a much faster course than its neighbor Shenandoah. The car has a lot more braking and grip available now with the new alignment, tires, and pads so I am still feeling out where the limits are.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 6, 2024

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Thanks guys. I’m going to order the tire tonight.

Any Phoenix-area goons doing the Pro Autosports AMP day on May 11, hit me up.

Ah, I should have checked SA earlier. I normally avoid running with ProAuto but I'd have signed up :( Have fun out there.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

drat! I meant to PM you and forgot several times.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh, forgot to check-in here. I did another event this past weekend and the RS4s plus not overdriving it plus keeping pressures in check solved my issues, thanks for the advice. I did end up putting the car on a rack but I was more or less where I figured I was aside from having a quarter degree less camber than I was gunning for and a tenth degree more toe than I thought. Reckon I'll leave all that alone and go after some little quality of life issues for now.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah, I should have checked SA earlier. I normally avoid running with ProAuto but I'd have signed up :( Have fun out there.

Hey do you know if there’s a database of cars that pass AMP sound limits? The exhaust valves on the Alfa open around 3k and I have no way to keep them closed above that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hey do you know if there’s a database of cars that pass AMP sound limits? The exhaust valves on the Alfa open around 3k and I have no way to keep them closed above that.

I don't think there is one, unfortunately. I've never actually seen an Alfa out there yet, but if you can figure a way to rig up some 90* dryer vents or something that usually works.

:salute:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Can't you just unplug the actuator?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

Can't you just unplug the actuator?

I wouldn't be surprised if the default mode is "exhaust open" and it only closes when commanded to by the computer. Also works for an excuse to make the exhaust bark a bit on initial startup.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Regardless of what mode you’re in, above ~3500rpm the valves open. I have an obd2 controller and I tried to close the valves in Race mode and it immediately went back to open.

The dryer vent solution is a good idea. Shame it’s the night before. :/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably too late but can you just crawl under and unplug the exhaust valve actuator?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I didn't have enough time to really dig in and the car passed sound anyway. :)

Trip report:

Overall it was a very fun day, I miss doing track days, and quite a few people were excited to see an Alfa at the track (kids' car seats and all). And I ended the day with the car going home on a flatbed. :mario:

I am so unbelievably rusty. I spent the first session letting every pass me, even Miatas. If someone shows up in your mirrors it doesn't matter if you have 3x the power, they're faster where it counts and you let them by. That's just HPDE law. I couldn't find a rhythm, the steering was really vague, the tires got greasy after 12-13 minutes, and I just couldn't find confidence in the car. I got a splash of 100 octane from the Dill Petroleum guys and they mentioned talking to one of the instructors. Second session wasn't much better but I passed a couple cars so I had a marginal improvement but still not having a great time.

After the second session I spoke with the instructor for about 20 min and he wanted to join me for my third session of the day. Having his instruction in the car with me was magical. He pushed me to have confidence in the tires and trust they would grip. I was braking too much - a direct reflection in my lack of confidence and experience relative to 2010 - 1012 when I was doing this 15-20 times per year. He also encouraged me to steer with the throttle and reduce the load on the front tires. It was tough to get my head around that at first and I realized it was because 95% of my track time is in mid-engined cars and that's just not something you do. The tires got a little overheated like I experienced earlier in the day but not nearly as limiting as before, likely due to better technique and tire management (all thanks to the instructor).

I left the car in Auto mode the whole day as well. I was pretty hard on myself for not shifting on my own but I came to a realization halfway through the day: This car is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than most of my track time in a Lotus (even my supercharged one). And the gearing is so tight you're constantly shifting. With time and experience I could get there but the auto allowed me to focus on brake points and feeling the car through corners. So was it lame to be in Auto mode? Yeah. But I understand why people would go that route on the track. My brain can't keep up with how fast the car was.

By the fourth session I felt like I was back. I lined up first with a 981 GT4 and a C8 Corvette behind. I lost the GT4 after a lap and the C8 stayed 20-30 seconds behind me until my car gave up. The brake light on the dash came on and I didn't quite know what to make of it. It's the same light that comes on when the ebrake is enaged so I thought something happened there but after getting back to the pits, the brakes were definitely hosed. Full metal on metal contact. Rotors were toast. I also corded the front left tire. I'm honestly impressed that the braking performance never faded - I only knew there was a problem because I glanced down and saw the warning light. I still had full stopping power and there's NOTHING left on the pads.

I made it just outside the facility when I realized I wasn't going to make the 35 mile drive home. AAA to the rescue. I'm hoping the damage was limited to front pads, rotors, and tires. I have those parts on order; we'll see how it goes.

Here's a video from the event. I had the instructor with me and it wasn't my best time of the day but it's close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDbPOt4D3A

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

All that said... I think I got the bug. The problems I had with the tires were likely camber related and really highlights why you should have a dedicated track car. And now that my kids are older I have a green light from the wife to do these events more often. So where I was previously thinking of getting a one expensive car (911 of some flavor) I think I'd like to have a daily and one I'd be comfortable tracking.

I'd like to get some input based on my criteria (that is admittedly contradictory).

Wants:
  • $30K or less
  • Reasonably fast
  • Light weight is always a plus (I'm used to consumables on a sub-2000lb car)
  • RWD
  • Needs to be an ok street car as well (not ready to go full track build)
  • Convertible is fine with me as long as roll bars are sufficient (OEM or aftermarket)
Do not want:
  • Maintenance hog
  • FWD
  • shitboxes

I used to be a die-hard manual person but having experienced an Auto... I'm willing to consider a PDK/DCT or decent ZF 8sp. But, in complete contradiction, an auto would be a lot less fun on the street.

I was previously thinking a high mile ND2 Miata would be a good starting point but I'm worried it's not enough power given my prior experience (300hp Elise or 200hp Exige). And S2000 are about as fast as ND2s, right? I will fully admit that keeping some very fast cars behind me was intoxicating but I'm nervous about having an expensive car on the track now. After I wrecked the Elise on track years ago I realized I'm not invincible. So it's the push/pull of wanting something fast, inexpensive, and lightweight.

I'm open to buying someone's pre-built track car as long as it's still streetable. I'm open to suggestions!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

How about something like a Cayman S?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Miata is always the answer. Yeah they're low power but they have enough. Cheap parts and consumables. They're popular as hell for a reason.

BRZ, s2000, 350z, and corvettes some to mind. Basically in order from slower to faster.

BRZ needs an oil cooler for track work, and some kind of oil baffle or accusump if you throw more grip at it. S2K has the same oil issues iirc.

The 350zs and vettes have a staggered tire setup that makes rotating tires for max life a bit of a pain. I know a lot of z owners will go square but you're either rolling the front fenders or the narrower rear looks weird.

Miata, BRZ, and S2K can all be k24 swapped for dirt cheap reliable 200hp engines. Then the mods are sky's the limit too.

Weird option would be a factory five race car. Looks like a Shelby cobra, fox body mustang underneath though. Parts are cheap as hell, 2400lbs with driver is possible, and they sip tires. I would not track the street version though. Full cage one is street able in sunny weather. It will not handle like a lotus though.

They killed the NASA spec class so you might be able to find one cheap.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Nix the streetable requirement and get a Spec Boxster. Or just wear ear plugs if youre gonna drive more than 15 minutes or 70 mph. You'll be faster and more comfortable than a gutted NA Miata, thats for sure.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Miata with a k-swap sounds like a good idea, could also get an ND and put a turbo or something in it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

2009+ Mazda RX-8 gets my vote.

Edit: This is why.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 14, 2024

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Also always drive to the track or truck and trailer? I'd rather trailer a cheaper car and not sweat breaking it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it’s always going to come down to fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

If you just want to do lapping days and have no desire to do wheel to wheel, Corvettes and Mustangs are cheap and plenty. If you want to lean towards a known quantity and have some flexibility, E46 330i is an option.

The less bespoke/rare/unicorn something is, the more laps you’ll be able to put in. I’d lean towards something naturally aspirated and pedestrian. I, obviously, don’t put too much stock in having all the horsepower; i get the appeal and desire, but idk i really don’t have too many warm and fuzzy thoughts about being able to hit 150mph because that also means i can hit the wall going 150mph.

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 14, 2024

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
completely unrelated: ive been having real bad thoughts about ZZW30 MR2s lately… real bad thoughts, like 2AR bad thoughts

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Honestly I would just look at whatever spec series is popular in your area, this helps ensure support and makes selling easier if you change your mind. There's spec series and almost any speed range you could want; miata, e30, 944, boxter, e46, etc. All of these can be street legal.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
best idea, k20swap a fit

McTinkerson posted:

this is my vote for giving serious thought/ kicking rad

NitroSpazzz posted:

Honestly I would just look at whatever spec series is popular in your area, this helps ensure support and makes selling easier if you change your mind. There's spec series and almost any speed range you could want; miata, e30, 944, boxter, e46, etc. All of these can be street legal.

This is the practical answer

Phone posted:

completely unrelated: ive been having real bad thoughts about ZZW30 MR2s lately… real bad thoughts, like 2AR bad thoughts

I've got a 2zz swap, they own. If I did it again, I would go with a na k swap 9000 type deal. 2ar are sick nasty. I know that Frankenstein dude has gotten his engine over 8k, so that point might be moot now.

at over 20 years old, they are well into the shitbox category though. and hard tops cost more now then mine car that came with a hardtop. hella cheap on consumables though!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

All that said... I think I got the bug. The problems I had with the tires were likely camber related and really highlights why you should have a dedicated track car. And now that my kids are older I have a green light from the wife to do these events more often. So where I was previously thinking of getting a one expensive car (911 of some flavor) I think I'd like to have a daily and one I'd be comfortable tracking.

I'd like to get some input based on my criteria (that is admittedly contradictory).

Wants:
  • $30K or less
  • Reasonably fast
  • Light weight is always a plus (I'm used to consumables on a sub-2000lb car)
  • RWD
  • Needs to be an ok street car as well (not ready to go full track build)
  • Convertible is fine with me as long as roll bars are sufficient (OEM or aftermarket)
Do not want:
  • Maintenance hog
  • FWD
  • shitboxes

I used to be a die-hard manual person but having experienced an Auto... I'm willing to consider a PDK/DCT or decent ZF 8sp. But, in complete contradiction, an auto would be a lot less fun on the street.

I was previously thinking a high mile ND2 Miata would be a good starting point but I'm worried it's not enough power given my prior experience (300hp Elise or 200hp Exige). And S2000 are about as fast as ND2s, right? I will fully admit that keeping some very fast cars behind me was intoxicating but I'm nervous about having an expensive car on the track now. After I wrecked the Elise on track years ago I realized I'm not invincible. So it's the push/pull of wanting something fast, inexpensive, and lightweight.

I'm open to buying someone's pre-built track car as long as it's still streetable. I'm open to suggestions!

too bad it doesn't tick all your boxes - and I am not suggesting it'd be a good car for your use-case, but I listed my BRZ a few days ago. I wasn't intending on posting about it here but I'll just dump the ad anyway.

Also, trust me when I say 200whp is more than enough to end up in the top 5-10 fastest cars of the events around here. Especially with ProAuto.

quote:

$32k OBO - Honda K24 Swapped 2015 Subaru BRZ with a clean title and 37k miles on it, never had any bodywork damage or paint work done. Fits into NASA ST/TT5 as it sits and would slot into GLTC or GridLife TR with some low hanging fruit weight reduction. Car weighs roughly 2650lb without driver but the doors have intact window glass / regulators and crash bar to drop another 50lb or so. Comes with a 200whp flat tune, 205whp flat tune, and a 228whp full power tune - all are 91 octane.

Currently holds 7 NASA TT5 track records, won the 2023 NASA AZ TT5 regional championship, and is currently leading the 2024 NASA AZ TT5 regional championship.

I swapped the car two full years ago, it has been very reliable once sorted and is super easy to drive. Turn key ready to run. Cage was done by TC Design in California, Lifeline fire bottle was recertified in March 2024, new Schroth harness good to 2028, window net is new, and seat is good without a back brace until 2025.

For asking price some spares are included such as 4x 17x9.5 Apex EC7R wheels, new set of 255/40/17 Maxxis RC1, 2x OEM front wheel bearings with ARP studs, 1x rear wheel bearing with ARP studs, 4x Centric rotors, front and rear set of CSG C2 brake pads, Marsh 5" carbon fiber splitter, 2013 rear sway bar, 2017 rear sway bar, 16mm Perrin rear sway bar, etc. Includes two original keyless entry keys.

Example lap times in TT5 trim:
Arizona Motorsports Park - 1:46
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway CW - 1:56
Podium Club CW - 1:43
Podium Club CCW - 1:41
Wild Horse Pass East - 1:02

Engine
JDM Honda K24A
OEM K20A2 50* VTC gear
Drag Cartel drop-in cams
Supertech H1021D valve springs, retainers, and valve stem seals
KPower intake manifold and intake
KPower header, ceramic coated
Bosch 74mm DBW throttle body
Winning Formula Buzzyboi throttle body adapter
Perrin 3” catback exhaust
Injector Dynamics ID1050XDS injectors
Haltech Elite 1500 ECU
OEM K24Z upper timing chain guide
OEM K24Z side timing chain guides
Generic aluminum lower timing chain guide
Generic aluminum timing chain tensioner cover
Doryoku shortened and baffled valve cover with top vent
Radium BRZ CCV catch can
Radium surge tank
Radium fuel pump hanger
Radium fuel filter
Radium fuel pulse damper
Deatschwerks DW300c fuel pump
Verus radiator w/ Spal fans
ACE radiator ducting
Lowdoller fuel pressure / temp sensor
Lowdoller coolant pressure / temp sensor
STI Engine Mounts

Drivetrain
OEM Exedy clutch and pressure plate
KPower aluminum flywheel
Misfits Motorsports steel shift selector rod
Verus clutch pivot
Verus clutch fork
Shortened OEM BRZ 2pc driveshaft
OSGiken 1.5 way LSD
Cusco diff cover

Suspension
949Racing Xida 500lb / 600lb
RacerX rear upper control arms
TechnoToys Tuning rear toe arms
Perrin 22mm front bar
Mann Engineeering rear bar
RacerX rear sway bar end links
Whiteline roll center correction kit
PCI FLCA compliance spherical bushings
HardRace spherical FLCA rear spherical bushings
Perrin steering rack stays
Salasko Racing solid rear subframe and diff mounts

Brakes
2020 BRZ ABS module
BRZ OEM PP Brembo brake calipers
Centric PP blank rotors
Stoptech braided lines
GLoc R12 / R10 brake pads

Wheels
6x Apex EC7R 17x9.5 +40
2x Apex VS5RS 17x9.5 +40

Exterior
Verus Engineering hood vents
Verus Engineering high efficiency wing
4” flat Home Depot Racing splitter
Verus Engineering air dam
JDL Front crash bar
Tom’s Tail lights
OEM BRZ STi Mirror Caps
OLM Wide mirrors
Shark fin removed
Interior and Electronics
Cage built by TC Design
Sparco Pro Adv w/ PCI Racing seat mount with slider
Sparco Evo 2 w/ PCI Racing seat mount with slider
Schroth Profi 2 6 point harnesses
Rennscot belt wraps
Lifeline 2.25kg FIA fire suppression system
Beastronix Nanny hard wired to vehicle CAN
OMP WRC steering wheel
Works Bell quick release
Cartek battery isolator
CanChecked MCE18 CAN expander
Odyssey PC680 battery in STM battery tray

Here is a lap at AMP CW in the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSMwFAmZdf8

As a comparison, here is my first time driving my stock power Elise at AMP CW a month ago, just overlaying data versus the above BRZ lap shows the Elise will do a 1:44 as it sits once I figure out how to drive it. Both of these laps are pretty loving fast if you start comparing it to existing laps you'll find on YouTube... both of these cars make gently caress all power and AMP is track that benefits power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPh3QBKNWXA

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 14, 2024

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

Miata is always the answer. Yeah they're low power but they have enough. Cheap parts and consumables. They're popular as hell for a reason.

BRZ, s2000, 350z, and corvettes some to mind. Basically in order from slower to faster.

BRZ needs an oil cooler for track work, and some kind of oil baffle or accusump if you throw more grip at it. S2K has the same oil issues iirc.

The 350zs and vettes have a staggered tire setup that makes rotating tires for max life a bit of a pain. I know a lot of z owners will go square but you're either rolling the front fenders or the narrower rear looks weird.

Miata, BRZ, and S2K can all be k24 swapped for dirt cheap reliable 200hp engines. Then the mods are sky's the limit too.

Weird option would be a factory five race car. Looks like a Shelby cobra, fox body mustang underneath though. Parts are cheap as hell, 2400lbs with driver is possible, and they sip tires. I would not track the street version though. Full cage one is street able in sunny weather. It will not handle like a lotus though.

They killed the NASA spec class so you might be able to find one cheap.

ND2 is high on the list. A couple people at the track mentioned the aftermarket hasn't really materialized for that platform but I find that hard to believe. 2022+ BRZ/GR86 is also on the list due to the back seats - if I can't bring my kids in the car the opportunities to use it reduce significantly. But BlackMK4's K24 1st gen BRZ is really drat spicy.

I really like the C7 Corvette Grand Sport and it gets high praise from Mr. Smoking Tire but they're still a touch too expensive for me to be comfortable tracking.

honda whisperer posted:

Also always drive to the track or truck and trailer? I'd rather trailer a cheaper car and not sweat breaking it.

Very true! I know nothing about towing and it's intimidating to get into so I'm probably going to ease back into the track work and keep up my AAA membership for now.

I'm not an SUV/CUV fan but it seems like people use Macans as tow vehicles for track cars without major issues and that would certainly be more compelling than a big honkin truck.

McTinkerson posted:

They're definitely fun but I owned one 14 years ago and I'm not really itching to go back to that platform.

Phone posted:

it’s always going to come down to fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

If you just want to do lapping days and have no desire to do wheel to wheel, Corvettes and Mustangs are cheap and plenty. If you want to lean towards a known quantity and have some flexibility, E46 330i is an option.

The less bespoke/rare/unicorn something is, the more laps you’ll be able to put in. I’d lean towards something naturally aspirated and pedestrian. I, obviously, don’t put too much stock in having all the horsepower; i get the appeal and desire, but idk i really don’t have too many warm and fuzzy thoughts about being able to hit 150mph because that also means i can hit the wall going 150mph.

100% agree on the fast/cheap/reliable thing.

I tracked a heavily modified Elise for a long time and looking back I got away with quite a bit. I never brought pads, rotors, fluids, tires, or other consumables. I would bring a couple tools and a chair but that was about it. If I had to wrench on my car during the track day I considered that to be dreadful.

BlackMK4 posted:

too bad it doesn't tick all your boxes - and I am not suggesting it'd be a good car for your use-case, but I listed my BRZ a few days ago. I wasn't intending on posting about it here but I'll just dump the ad anyway.

Also, trust me when I say 200whp is more than enough to end up in the top 5-10 fastest cars of the events around here. Especially with ProAuto.

Here is a lap at AMP CW in the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSMwFAmZdf8

As a comparison, here is my first time driving my stock power Elise at AMP CW a month ago, just overlaying data versus the above BRZ lap shows the Elise will do a 1:44 as it sits once I figure out how to drive it. Both of these laps are pretty loving fast if you start comparing it to existing laps you'll find on YouTube... both of these cars make gently caress all power and AMP is track that benefits power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPh3QBKNWXA

I'm glad I don't have track car money right now. A BRZ with a K24 that is local is pretty drat enticing.

I randomly found your Elise AMP video last week when I was looking for track guides. That's a pretty good time and it made me realize how dogshit the lap I posted was. Doing a 1:57 in a 505hp car is really bad. I wish my laptimer had worked in the fourth session because it felt a helluva lot faster than earlier in the day.

I take it you're not impressed with the ProAuto crowd? I do prefer NASA's structure but I had a free track day with ProAuto so :shrug:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now I'm a bit more motivated to sell my Exige and start doing this more often.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

It seems to be a roll of the dice on ND transmissions for track reliability. A good solution is the nc 6 speed swap [and a diff]. The nd1 has more tuning/mod options and an equivalent torque curve. It's tuff to rinse power out of that skyactive.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The BRZ does have back seats but there isn't really any leg room FYI.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm not an SUV/CUV fan but it seems like people use Macans as tow vehicles for track cars without major issues and that would certainly be more compelling than a big honkin truck.

Really? I am looking for a Macan for a daily with some lighter towing and it looks like they are all rated to about 4400 pounds so you are starting to push it with a light car and light open trailer. Cayennes all seem good up to 7700 and being older, many have depreciated like produce.

Also, you mentioned 2022+ BRZ’s, have they figured out the oil pressure drops in right hand sweepers yet?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

The BRZ does have back seats but there isn't really any leg room FYI.

My kids are young enough that they will be fine. I'm considering a 911 as a daily so the BRZ back seat would be luxurious in comparison.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Really? I am looking for a Macan for a daily with some lighter towing and it looks like they are all rated to about 4400 pounds so you are starting to push it with a light car and light open trailer. Cayennes all seem good up to 7700 and being older, many have depreciated like produce.

Also, you mentioned 2022+ BRZ’s, have they figured out the oil pressure drops in right hand sweepers yet?

I think in Phoenix I could get away with a Macan since it's pretty flat around here. But if I lived in a mountainous area it would probably be smart to get something a bit more serious.

Lots of street cars have oil starvation issues, I have to imagine the solution for the 2022+ BRZs would be similar. A baffled oil pan usually does the trick. Both my Elise and Exige had/have a Moroso baffled oil pan because the stock Celica oil pan suffers oil starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah, there is a pan coming out soon but it's kind of one of those dice roll things as-is. I have some friends that are really fast in them and they've never had an issue, but then you see the videos. They're a pretty good step up over the first gen cars for sure.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I randomly found your Elise AMP video last week when I was looking for track guides. That's a pretty good time and it made me realize how dogshit the lap I posted was. Doing a 1:57 in a 505hp car is really bad. I wish my laptimer had worked in the fourth session because it felt a helluva lot faster than earlier in the day.

I take it you're not impressed with the ProAuto crowd? I do prefer NASA's structure but I had a free track day with ProAuto so :shrug:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now I'm a bit more motivated to sell my Exige and start doing this more often.

ay, you'll get there for AMP, it takes time. I'm not a big fan of ProAuto for a few reasons, mostly coming down to the general on track attitude and the amount of contact I've seen in DE. I do run their Platinum days if I need to work something out though, those are a great deal.