Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
So, my dad and I along with a couple of family friends are doing a LeMons race for the first time in about 2 months.

We got a 1980's Mazda RX7 that has a decent looking body (save a couple of BAD rust spots) and an... eh. engine (luckily all fixable things).

Now, I understand the whole spirit of the LeMons thing, and I think my dad does too, but not as much as I would hope. He's wanting to swap carbs and do this, that the other thing (mostly replacing parts with new parts).

What I'm worried about is 1) exceeding the perceived 500 dollars and getting docked laps and 2) getting the car crushed inbetween days.

What cars usually get the axe? How stringent are the inspectors usually with things like this?

We're super pumped about doing this, but I don't want to show up and immediately be labeled as Those Guys and have the car get destroyed after just one day of racing.

edit: I can show some pictures, like of the HUGE ant colony under the carpets that we killed with WD-40 :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
HPDEs + traction control = bad habits :v:

First track day with traction control off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUD9kgnK6o8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Holy drat, that Viper is fast.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Holy drat, that Viper is fast.

I believe his laptimes were right around 2:00, which is doubly impressive given the conditions (video was taken mid-afternoon when it was well over 100 degrees)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The green s2k that passed him at the end did 1:57 that day and an FRS went 2:03. The s2k has some aero work and JRZ suspension, and a good amount of prep while the FRS just has a set of prototype ASTs. Both with stock engines, both on hankook RS3s.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 7, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What about Crusher/Supermiata car?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Gonna check out the speedventures track day at Fontana tomorrow, won't participate since my car isn't broken in yet, but it should be fun/hot/possible rainy (not fun) etc.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Admirable Gusto posted:

First track day with traction control off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUD9kgnK6o8

Just needed about 15* more lock on the first correction and you would have had it. At least no harm done -- nothing a car wash and an interior wipe-down won't fix.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

I'm pretty sure we've all done this. Here's mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64g7iNySF8

Taught me that I needed to be more aggressive with my steering corrections (more of it and sooner). And as your car control develops without the crutch of stability control, you'll find newer and more interesting ways to spin from time to time. :v:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm doing my first PDX tomorrow. I'm sure my 105hp roadblock will make me the coolest kid in school :awesome:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHXtp8RDjM

From HPDE 1 at Summit Point, WVA yesterday. It's a warmup lap so it's hella slow, however the overlay is so cool I had to share it. Unfortunately I couldn't record a full speed session with the overlay because my iphone died. It's called optrix videopro and it generates the track and the corner/straightaway speeds using gps data collected throughout the run.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I ended up doing pretty well at my first PDX. I got put in Novice, but I guess my one Chumpcar event at this track helped. My instructor told me I'm clearly no novice and let me go out on my own a few times. My '88 Golf is severely underpowered but it handled better than it has any right to. Passing s2000s is fun.

I downloaded Harry's Lap Timer but I didn't get much good data. It only recorded 2 laps out of an ~18 minute session with 12 or so laps, not sure whats up with that. I'll have to play with it more at the next event since my battery died after the one session.

Warmup lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbrXSU-HFuo

The Iphone 3gs has terrible GPS. It might get a better signal if I mount it differently next time.

e: Youtube video stabilization is trippy as gently caress

User Error fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 20, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Something I realized when starting out. Low HP cars are comparatively faster the slower the run group. The fancy guys with their S2ks, Corvettes and M cars are afraid to actually use the power they have. It's easy to mat it on corner exit when you only have 100hp. My Miata used to eat poo poo up in Green/Yellow groups, now I'll either see no-one or just get passed.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Blake Smith, CDI for New Jersey BMWCCA posted:

I can teach you to drive fast in a modest car in two years, but in a hot car it may take five.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

FatCow posted:

Something I realized when starting out. Low HP cars are comparatively faster the slower the run group. The fancy guys with their S2ks, Corvettes and M cars are afraid to actually use the power they have. It's easy to mat it on corner exit when you only have 100hp. My Miata used to eat poo poo up in Green/Yellow groups, now I'll either see no-one or just get passed.

Depends a lot on the car and the person driving it. My SRT8 is an easy to drive marshmallow at the limit despite its power. At the same time some people are afraid of their car and going fast and will be no matter what its power output.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

FatCow posted:

I know what you mean. In the NASA stuff i do when i get a break, i field a little late model with around 500 to the ground and most people I see driving cars that should blow me away I eat up because they're afraid to actually use more than 1/2 of what their car is capable of. I've always maintained that people shouldn't go straight to low-traction RWD v8s for track day stuff simply because it never teaches them how to manage power effectively, which leads to easy spooking under race conditions and unpredictable drivers.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I know what you mean. In the NASA stuff i do when i get a break, i field a little late model with around 500 to the ground and most people I see driving cars that should blow me away I eat up because they're afraid to actually use more than 1/2 of what their car is capable of. I've always maintained that people shouldn't go straight to low-traction RWD v8s for track day stuff simply because it never teaches them how to manage power effectively, which leads to easy spooking under race conditions and unpredictable drivers.

I was showing my uncle video of me in NASA HPDE 2 at Infineon (late in the day after they opened up passing) and he was surprised I was passing so many cars. I think I passed 20 people in 4 laps or something like that, same story - those porsches, that shelby, etc etc always just driven by someone too afraid to drive it.

Conversely there's frequently a nutter or three running some high HP car bragging about having the traction control off, who then invariably bins it. I feel like HPDE 3 is the most 'dangerous' group because it's all the guys who got signoff but aren't experienced enough to dare driving in 4.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I feel like HPDE 3 is the most 'dangerous' group because it's all the guys who got signoff but aren't experienced enough to dare driving in 4.

This is pretty much the case in most organizations I've run with. The level 3 group has the widest disparity in abilities and speeds of any group. And this is the level where people are really starting to learn car control and how to bring the car to the edge and keep it there. Trying different things that might or might not work better for them & their car. Learning how to experiment and teach themselves how to go faster. All without the benefit of the second-nature car control seen in the top run group. The most spectacular offs of the weekend usually happen in this group.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

FatCow posted:

Agree, in the low end run groups it's basically who is willing to press that pedal on the right and let the tires scream a little. The downside of a low HP car is it has let me get away with mistakes I would not have gotten away with at much higher speed. I recently got to jump out of my MINI and into to a 911 and the results where stunning. I learned I'm turning in about three to five feet early every time. At 80 mph that's bad enough, at 100 it's loving terrifying. That being said, now I know and it gives me something to work on.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Had an interesting weekend at the dragstrip this past Friday and Saturday night. Had my first perfect light (left):

Too bad I broke out by more than 1/10, and that was even after stabbing the brakes after the 1000' mark since I could see I was way ahead of the other guy. This was the Super Chevy Show at Bandimere Speedway, Morrison, Colorado - 5800 ft above sea level at the track. Between practice/qualifying and 3 separate races, had a total of 9 passes down the track between the two days. Finally got in a groove for launching the car - all 9 passes had RTs less than .100 seconds off the light (and two red lights, once in practice and one in a race. Whoops.)

The next challenge is predicting how the car will run. Still NA, but as the air gets cooler the car will run markedly faster - in 90 degree weather with DAs between 8500-9000 feet, I run a 14.2xx or so, but after the sun goes down and the DA gets back around 8000 I can run 13.7xx if I'm not careful. Big swings (as seen in the slip above) are becoming a little more predictable, so at least I'm starting to narrow down the variables.

Of course when I drop a Procharger on the car this winter this all goes out the window. :suicide: But power! Hoping to put the car into the 11s, which at this altitude would be pretty respectable for a 2-ton sedan.

Edit: Fun practice run, my car versus friends' (wife driving) CTS-V coupe. Yay supercharger whine!

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2012

nVortex
Jan 22, 2005
Went to a trackschool on sunday at Mosport DDT. It was my first time on a track and I learned manual a month ago so I struggled a lot with heel toeing. I hovered at the top of second in the straight after the pits just to avoid downshifting later on :( Heres a clip of a Mazda 3 passing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E7_xOOw26c

parid
Mar 18, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

This is pretty much the case in most organizations I've run with. The level 3 group has the widest disparity in abilities and speeds of any group. And this is the level where people are really starting to learn car control and how to bring the car to the edge and keep it there. Trying different things that might or might not work better for them & their car. Learning how to experiment and teach themselves how to go faster. All without the benefit of the second-nature car control seen in the top run group. The most spectacular offs of the weekend usually happen in this group.

That's how I wrecked my first FD. I was in the "intermediate" group. It started raining. There are some slight bumps on the "back" straight at PIR called the porsche bumps. In the dry they are a completely unnoticeable. Two other cars were totaled in my group on that turn that same day. A corvette and a BMW.

This is how I learned how I was doing it wrong. (crap-can) Wheel to wheel is cheaper and more fun.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nVortex posted:

Went to a trackschool on sunday at Mosport DDT. It was my first time on a track and I learned manual a month ago so I struggled a lot with heel toeing. I hovered at the top of second in the straight after the pits just to avoid downshifting later on :( Heres a clip of a Mazda 3 passing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E7_xOOw26c

Nice! Did you enjoy your first track day? Don't get discouraged. Just takes practice and you'll get faster.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

nVortex posted:

so I struggled a lot with heel toeing

You can practice rev matching on the street - when you're going in a straight line downshift and use your right foot to blip the throttle as your left foot gets off the clutch; if you get it right it will be completely smooth. Once that becomes second nature you can add braking to that :eng101:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Heel-toe every stopsign :eng101:

nVortex
Jan 22, 2005
I can rev match fairly well when just coasting to a stoplight. Tried adding some braking to that today and I think the problem is I'm used to having my heel as an anchor point on the floor to smoothly control braking. Also I have big feet so I have to blip the throttle with whatever part of my shoe I can touch it with and its not accurate at all.

Overall it was an amazing experience though, and I would go again if anything beginner friendly pops up.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
get some Puma Liga's, Adidas Samba's or even some of the regular K-Swiss shoes to practice heel/toe. Don't wear some big cross trainers or anything.

If you are really badass you practice in some sweet loafers like Ayrton Senna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

nVortex posted:

I can rev match fairly well when just coasting to a stoplight. Tried adding some braking to that today and I think the problem is I'm used to having my heel as an anchor point on the floor to smoothly control braking. Also I have big feet so I have to blip the throttle with whatever part of my shoe I can touch it with and its not accurate at all.

Overall it was an amazing experience though, and I would go again if anything beginner friendly pops up.

Keep in mind heel+toe is just a term. If the pedals are set right, you basically use both sides of your foot near the toes. I use the same technique as that senna video - roll off the brake (while keeping pressure) and hit the throttle with the outside of your foot. The hardest part by far is keeping the pressure consisitent while blipping the throttle.

I actually prefer to drive in chucks, but I like a little bit of a firm sole. I've tried doing it in thin-soled canvas shoes and I just didn't like how it felt. I once had a pair of Piloti (supposed "driving" shoes) and I loving hated those things.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nVortex posted:

I think the problem is I'm used to having my heel as an anchor point on the floor to smoothly control braking.

I entirely expect someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong for some good reason I haven't yet figured out, but I was never able to "get" heel-toe. Instead I put my foot on the right side of the brake pedal and sort of rock it over sideways to hit the gas pedal for the throttle blips.

It's probably not ideal in a track situation, but it allows me to downshift cleanly while wearing steel-toe boots which are pretty much the opposite of good driving shoes.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

wolrah posted:

I entirely expect someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong for some good reason I haven't yet figured out, but I was never able to "get" heel-toe.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it matters as long as the right thing happens. Hurley Haywood and Daniel Eastman where both teaching heal-toe at PSDS when I was there. They don't agree on how to do it. Daniel teaches the rotate foot, roll method much like Senna. Hurley likes to move his foot to the brake and then kick the gas (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REcvGkYC1iI).

I tried both, and found I can't do it Hurley's way. Since coming back I've been heel-toeing freeway off ramps. Getting better, but it's not easy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aurune posted:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it matters as long as the right thing happens. Hurley Haywood and Daniel Eastman where both teaching heal-toe at PSDS when I was there. They don't agree on how to do it. Daniel teaches the rotate foot, roll method much like Senna. Hurley likes to move his foot to the brake and then kick the gas (like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=REcvGkYC1iI).

I tried both, and found I can't do it Hurley's way. Since coming back I've been heel-toeing freeway off ramps. Getting better, but it's not easy.

I find it really hard to be hitting the gas that deep on the heel if it's not floor hinged. In fact, I think a floor hinged gas pedal makes heel-toe a lot easier, cuz you're bound to hit something, whereas your target with a top-hinged pedal is usually smaller.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Aurune posted:

If it makes you feel better, I don't think it matters as long as the right thing happens.

This. Whether you "bigfoot" it or use actual heel and toe doesn't matter. Do whatever is comfortable for you, your knees, your feet, & your car's pedals.

The point is to be able to apply continuous and consistent brake pressure, while being able to get a blip of the throttle. You do NOT need to be accurate with the throttle blip amount (and it's generally better to hit it too hard rather than too soft). You do need to be accurate with the blip timing.

Practising on the street is a great idea with one caveat: You're braking a lot harder on the track (or should be, anyway), So make sure your're able to adjust for the lower brake pedal when it comes time to do it on the track.

Also, good heel-toe downshifts are not generally a skill beginners are expected to master. It's perfectly fine to not even attempt them until you have other track basics (good braking, proper line, flag & traffic awareness, etc.) down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Practising on the street is a great idea with one caveat: You're braking a lot harder on the track (or should be, anyway), So make sure your're able to adjust for the lower brake pedal when it comes time to do it on the track.

Another good thing about slower cars -- their weaker brakes mean you can generally go deeper into them on the street.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I find it really hard to be hitting the gas that deep on the heel if it's not floor hinged. In fact, I think a floor hinged gas pedal makes heel-toe a lot easier, cuz you're bound to hit something, whereas your target with a top-hinged pedal is usually smaller.

Both my pedals are bottom hinged. I just tend to hit the steering column with my knee when I kick. This may be the length of my legs being a factor.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Aurune posted:

Agree, in the low end run groups it's basically who is willing to press that pedal on the right and let the tires scream a little. The downside of a low HP car is it has let me get away with mistakes I would not have gotten away with at much higher speed. I recently got to jump out of my MINI and into to a 911 and the results where stunning. I learned I'm turning in about three to five feet early every time. At 80 mph that's bad enough, at 100 it's loving terrifying. That being said, now I know and it gives me something to work on.

The only mistake you are making is not adjusting your driving style for the car. If you think you can use the same marks in a 911 that you use for a Mini you have bigger problems than just the higher speed.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Had a fun shakedown race at Pittsburgh International. Found a few issues with the car which will hopefully be fixed and improved for Pocono on Sept 8th.

Sadly, I had no one to race in my class but I had fun trying to chase down a nimble Miata.

http://imgracing.com/Results/Detail/HeadToHead.aspx?SessionID=81&Driver1ID=110&Driver2ID=114

I had some flying laps and a faster top five lap average. But he had a more consistent spread of times. Just couldn't get around him. (I love our results application)

Hoping to get some video from some of the other drivers. They've been slow uploading them to youtube.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nVortex posted:

I'm basically where you are right now, I think. I'm trying to be less heel-braced (since I think it's also compromising my ability to quickly add and lose throttle) but the Senna method of rolling to blip has been working for me. I can do it flawlessly if I'm not paying attention, but as soon as I focus on it everything goes to poo poo.

It took a few tries to get coordinated enough that I can do it without completely releasing the brake and jerking the car back and forth but I'm on my way. Thin-soled shoes do really help. I picked up a set of puma driving shoes when they were 40% off on one of their periodic online sales.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have a cloverleaf style interchange near you, you can get a lot of practice doing your 3->2 heel-toe downshift (plus some extra wear on your driver's side tires). It's pretty good because when shifting 3->2 on the freeway on-ramp, it isn't some 20mph turning into the supermarket antics, you'll be up in the RPMs a bit.

kartracer88f
Apr 19, 2010
Got to do some fun coaching and chassis development work this week. Was coaching for ESM Patron with their Ferrari Challenge clients, and did some setup work for them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN00MJ2HDRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Not sure if this counts, but got back from the Nurburgring last week. Probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Ended up blasting down the autobahn in an Opel Corsa which I maxed out at 180km/h.

Rented the "Stage 3 Suzuki" which was stripped interior with Recaros and on R888s. Also, it was pink.

Did 6 laps. The first 2 with a client of my company who happens to have done 1000+ laps of the ring. He was a HUGE help; I can't imagine just trying to go out blind. I couldn't stop grinning everytime I realized I was on THE Ring. He ended up taking us out in his bone stock base Audi TT on street tires and passed EVERYTHING on the track except for an R8 GT3. It's amazing what a great driver can do in an average car.

About 2 minutes after that picture was taken a new Jag convertible comes down that corner with flames coming out from under the car. People started screaming at him but he thought everyone was cheering him on so he just waved and gunned it. Rounded the corner and we lost sight until we noticed a cloud of smoke. Decided to see what happened and saw this.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 25, 2012