Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went through the pain of moving to 17" wheels so I could run tires that offer contingency again.

Necessitated removing Stoptech front 355mm and rear 345mm big brake kits, piecing together the optional BRZ PP Brembo brake kit, buying 17x9.5" wheels, and buying 17" tires. One weekend in I'm pretty much already ahead in terms of out of pocket money - won these at Chuckwalla NASA SoCal a few weeks back and they already showed up. Stole the NASA AZ and NASA SoCal TT5 record for the clockwise direction too, so now I own the record for both directions.

Not the biggest fan of how these cars look on 17s, but it is worth it.

Some driving with much to be improved, car ahead is a factory M2 CS Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mejjtTO1DM

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Stole the NASA AZ and NASA SoCal TT5 record for the clockwise direction too, so now I own the record for both directions.

That's awesome, congratulations on the records. How much of a difference can you tell between the setups?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's awesome, congratulations on the records. How much of a difference can you tell between the setups?

Between the 17 and 18 setups? I can't feel any difference braking wise but I am using the same pads as I was with the Stoptech kit and the 326mm / 316mm Brembo PP kit itself is pretty decent (imo). The larger Stoptech kit was almost 25lb lighter total though.

Tire feel wise was a big change because I honestly cannot stand the Nankang AR1, which is what I'd been through three sets of on the 18" wheels.

Few thoughts on them:
* I can't get any feeling out of them, it is like when you soften the dampers up a few clicks too many and the grip window becomes extremely vague.
* They live forever tread wise (relative) but once I was over ~10-12 HC the balance of the car would start shifting until it basically became a drift machine on throttle. I put 36 HC on one set before they started to cord, a solid 2-3 seconds off pace from new on a 1:50 track. Honestly, considering overall pace that is extremely good life out of a tire if you don't need to make PB lap times.
* Heat wise they take a good lap or two to be in the window, they peak for a lap or two, and then they hang on decently unless you're trying to overheat them.

I'm on Maxxis RC1 now, which I've been through a dozen plus sets before on the S2000 and Miata. Back to back from the AR1 they don't handle heat as well, I need to run a soft out lap because of this and I only get a lap or two in a decent window before they slow down a bit. They want more camber than the AR1, but I don't have any more to give without switching to different coil overs (-4* up front with maxed plates and two eccentrics). A lot more feeling in the tire and they make a bit of noise, which is nice.

I wanted to switch to 949 Racing Xidas but they take a .7 point hit that I can't afford due to their shaft size (43mm), might go with Karcepts MCS 1WNR over the summer but the Shaftworks 1 way are fine other than the lack of camber so I'm like eh.

Car overall is really good, I'm starting the small refinements phase with it. Just need more seat time and to be a better driver :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 13, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's interesting that the rulebook is now looking at shaft diameter for shocks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Phone posted:

That's interesting that the rulebook is now looking at shaft diameter for shocks.

Shaft diameter is far more important than length. At least that's why my partner says.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

It seems to just be a 5/6 rule, it is stupid. I'd just go run 4 if there wasn't such a massive difference after the 5 nerf this year.

My sheet in 5 as it sits => 2871lb min weight, 208whp average, +1.6 tire, splitter, wing

Checking the classing box for 4 bumps me to 290whp average.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Brakes are free?

E: how are tires pointed? Width + compound?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

Brakes are free?

E: how are tires pointed? Width + compound?

Brakes that were available on the car in any factory configuration / generation are free, part of why I chose what I did.

Tire pointing is weird, but NASA has a tire template square that sits flat against the tire tread and extends down to the sidewall. Template has to be flat against the tread and fall off to pass.
266mm: 0 point
257mm, weight greater than 2749lb 0.3 points back (only applies to 5, 4 is 266mm)

I'm running a 255 on a 9.5, it fits into 257. Same tire on a 10 won't fit.

Tires are pointed like this:
1.6 point tires - BFGoodrich g-Force Rival, Continental Extreme Contact Sport/Force, Cooper RS3-R, Falken Azenis RT615K+, Hankook Ventus RS4, Maxxis Victra RC-1, Maxxis Victra VR-1, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Nankang AR-1/NS-2R, Nitto NT01, Toyo Proxes R1R/R888/R888R/RA-1/RR, Valino VR08GP

1.0 point tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R/RE-71RS, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5, Dunlop Direzza ZIII, Falken Azenis RT660, Federal 595 RS-RR, Goodyear Eagle FI SuperCar 3, Kumho ECSTA V730, Michelin Sport Cup 2/2 Connect, Nankang CR-S, Nexen Nfera SUR4G, Yokohama Advan A052/Advan Neova AD09

0 point tires - Hoosier R7, SC3R, etc. No A7.

I think on paper 1.0 RE71RS or A052 is the way to go for TT time wise, but no contingency so screw it.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

This past weekend there was a 1-2 second difference in TT4 vs TT5, the combination of more shock shaft diameter, +90whp, 282mm of tire, and no points for suspension or brakes should be good for that much time!

I was looking at bumping up to TT4 after a couple more weekends in DE4, and am just resigned to not being competitive: my best laps this weekend were very high 1:13 to mid 1:14s, and the new track record for that class was a 1:08.5. I'm sure I can make the car better and find more time, but probably not enough to make a 3900lb SS match a 300whp average 3000lb M3 race car.

I also need to learn to manage tire heat, after cording an outside front V730 in two days. Toe is 0, - 2 camber is low but reasonable, and I'm guessing it's just a matter of adding too much steering angle and scrubbing speed down to the apex in long sweepers instead of optimizing for exit speed. I never had to worry about this with RS4s, but the Kumhos are actually possible to overheat on my car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
To be fair, if those two days involved Chuckwalla then I think it is about right. Place absolutely destroys the outside front, I only ran 6 sessions - half of which were only two or three laps - and the outside shoulder of a new RC1 is into the last part of the tread nipple. If it was at Bondurant then you've got a problem since it is pretty easy on tires due to lack of grip :smith:

Trevor (TT5 guy you're talking about) is in a 2022 GR86 with 255 RC1s, 17x9 wheels, pads, MCS 1WNR, and a catback... the car is pretty far from optimized. I think 5 should be able to be in the 1:08s also. I absolutely hate Bondurant tracks and refuse to run them after forking over $2k to replace a fence a couple of years ago. :v:

The nice thing about coming to TT is that it'll give you more free track time, availability of contingency (sign up for that Toyo benefit so you can get the $600 Toyo bucks for bumping from 4 to TT!!!! https://drivenasa.com/contingency-programs/toyotires-trackdaytire-hpde-rewards-program/) , and the extra push for more send will give you a bunch of progress in just a few days compared to DE. Can you easily add more front camber at the track by shoving in the camber plates, or is it more involved?

Are you going to Attessa?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 13, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BlackMK4 posted:

[brakes/tires stuff]

Did you have to remove the Stoptech kit to be legal? I think this is where I was getting a bit confused as to why you didn't have points for Xidas; the Nanking AR1 and Maxxis RC1 are both 1.6 points. I'll have to look at the rulebook sometime this week.

It's interesting to see how the rulebook has changed, though. Rest in pizzas 225s on a 9" wheel lol.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

Did you have to remove the Stoptech kit to be legal? I think this is where I was getting a bit confused as to why you didn't have points for Xidas; the Nanking AR1 and Maxxis RC1 are both 1.6 points. I'll have to look at the rulebook sometime this week.

It's interesting to see how the rulebook has changed, though. Rest in pizzas 225s on a 9" wheel lol.

They made a little classing calculator that makes it easier to play with
https://form.jotform.us/83435707892164

I didn't have to remove the Stoptech kit to be legal, I had to since it doesn't fit under a 17" wheel. Going to OEM Brembos did give me back .2 though, so that was a nice side benefit.

Xidas are hit by this, which is also the reason I sold the JRZs that were on my car (external reservoirs):
"Non-OEM shocks/struts with an external reservoir (or piggyback) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater -0.7"

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I swapped the camber plates (not really plates, the strut tower design is dumb) back out for urethane mounts because I couldn't make them not clunk when hitting bumps, and they only added .7deg anyway. I also added offset LCA bushings that add about 1 degree, so I can get a bit over 2 but don't want the NVH penalty needed to do 3. Other options would be to get lower offset wheels and slot the strut bolt holes, but there's not much clearance there unless I grind the knuckle down so get more tilt. Or move the LCA further, which would have to be weird and very custom.

The V730s were new this weekend, after cording the outside corner of a front RS4 at Chuckwalla. I'd be more unhappy about this if it wasn't a $175 tire. That was the 5th weekend for the RS4s, which seems more reasonable. The tearing on the outside is about 1" in from the shoulder, which seems like more of a heat/load management problem than camber.

I'm not sure about Attessa, but that weekend does look more feasible than anything else before summer. I was also thinking about the PCA Buttonwillow weekend May 5-6 posted about upthread, and have 16 days of HPDE3-4 in my NASA passport so maybe PCA would even let me drive without an instructor!

heffray fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 13, 2023

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

heffray posted:

I'm not sure about Attessa, but that weekend does look more feasible than anything else before summer. I was also thinking about the PCA Buttonwillow weekend May 5-6 posted about upthread, and have 16 days of HPDE3-4 in my NASA passport so maybe PCA would even let me drive without an instructor!

Oh hey I'll be at Buttonwillow May 5, my first time on a track ever.

PCA pointing seems weird to me. My 718 Boxster T is class higher then a base model with the same engine, and in the same class as a Boxster S. Maybe adding the active suspension (PASM) and LSD (PTV) would bump either of those up a class.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

-camber stuff-

That sounds like a pain in the rear end :smith:.

BW sounds more fun than Attessa :) Hopefully your PCA region is relaxed about that kind of stuff, I know the Arizona one is.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

*rules stuff*

It's interesting because it's convoluted in a different way than SCCA is convoluted.

I like the shock diameter rule when Ohlins TTX struts are 30mm too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Might be able to get different brackets and run smaller rotors with the same calipers. Although at some point I suppose the shape of the inside of the caliper and piston sizes aren't going to be ideal. I'm not sure how many different calipers stoptech uses across different rotor sizes given the same number of pistons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know if the Bosch Motorsports throttle bodies are any different than the regular ones, or know of some kind of alternative. Looking for 74mm.

K24s destroy these things like candy.

jamal posted:

Might be able to get different brackets and run smaller rotors with the same calipers. Although at some point I suppose the shape of the inside of the caliper and piston sizes aren't going to be ideal. I'm not sure how many different calipers stoptech uses across different rotor sizes given the same number of pistons.

Eh, it's already, Stoptech stuff is long sold. I'm pretty happy with PP Brembos so far.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Based on my recent digging into spacers for the 82mm Bosch TB's. They appear to be identical. (Part numbers for the Cayenne 82mm TB are the same as those for the 911 GT2 & 3).

Edit: Expanding on this, N/A 957 V8 Cayenne's use a 74mm Bosch TB. Junkyards and eBay should be overflowing with them.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 26, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That sucks, I was hoping I wouldn't need to bring a spare with me

Video from today, enough for another set of tires via contingency / tt5 record. Power steering cutting out all over the drat place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9NCeMTEEg

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 27, 2023

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

That sucks, I was hoping I wouldn't need to bring a spare with me

Video from today, enough for another set of tires via contingency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9NCeMTEEg

I see you are running 255 on 9.5, have you ever played with 245 on 9.5 or 255 on 10? like back to backs. I've been running a little stretched in autox (205 on 8, 225 on 9) per a lot of grassroots articles/ scuttlebutt. I'm just curious if you (or anyone) has anecdotal about tire to rim size.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

no lube so what posted:

I see you are running 255 on 9.5, have you ever played with 245 on 9.5 or 255 on 10? like back to backs. I've been running a little stretched in autox (205 on 8, 225 on 9) per a lot of grassroots articles/ scuttlebutt. I'm just curious if you (or anyone) has anecdotal about tire to rim size.

I haven't run anything back to back yet with this car, but I did run 17x9 with a 255 and 17x10 with a 255 back to back with my S2000, I greatly preferred the 10" wheel.

I also ran a 245 on a 15x10 with my Miata and that worked great too.

I'd personally not run bigger than a 245 on a 9 and I'd have a 10 under the car if I could in my class.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

no lube so what posted:

From the ai tire thread.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Pretty good track weekend: I like the track (Atessa / Podium Club CCW in central AZ), car is working fine, and I didn't break anything.

I went for a ride in a competitive TT4 car, and learned that I need to be smoother with my inputs, focus more on getting down to the apex and exiting corners cleanly, and stop overdriving corner entry. This went better in my last session Sunday, and I picked up a bunch of predictive time but didn't put together a great lap.

I also realized that I'm not sure I can improve my driving enough to find 11 seconds compared to the fast cars in TT4, even if I add 20mm of tire and some aero. I also don't really want to spend $20k on blower / fender flares and 315s / aero even if I could fit 500whp into TT3 or 2, and I still don't have parking for a second car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, it is tough if you aren't in one of the like formulaic cars for the class if you want to be super competitive. Basically no one runs a car that gets modded power wise to run classes faster than 3 because it is so disgustingly expensive to do it reliably. TT4 formula is a S54 E36 M3.

Chris Mayfield uploaded a video of his 1:35:29 for the TT3 record. Thing moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QkgEjcTFI

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 27, 2023

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
How do you guys like Podium Club?

I'm possibly some NASA BW Apr 15th - 16th in my 944Spec, and def doing Big Willow May 20-21

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I like Podium Club, CCW is the better layout.

Now expecting to miss that PCA Buttonwillow weekend: with my current job, Friday afternoon to Sunday turnarounds (with working onsite on Friday and Monday) are pretty rough to do a solo 6hr drive on each end.

I have a good range of parts on order for the off season though: bigger, adjustable sway bars front and rear, and Improved Racing windage tray and pan baffle. I haven't noticed oil pressure issues, but zero times sounds like the right number of times to lose oil pressure in a banked left sweeper.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Getting ready for my first track day in probably 10 years. I'm excited.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Hells yes. Where at?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Putnam park in Indiana. Super flat and simple with a ton of runoff in all but one corner.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
10 years is a long time, but after the first session you'll feel right at home I bet

heffray posted:

I have a good range of parts on order for the off season though: bigger, adjustable sway bars front and rear, and Improved Racing windage tray and pan baffle. I haven't noticed oil pressure issues, but zero times sounds like the right number of times to lose oil pressure in a banked left sweeper.

Banked sweepers are fine for oil pressure in my experience. Its the flat or off-camber poo poo that gets you.

I could hit the banked oval at Autoclub speedway at 130+ all day long in my 944 or E30 and never drop a psi. But there are some flat low speed lefts at Buttonwillow that I can see the E30 oil pressure gauge bounce.

I'm gonna miss the next few NASA races too, recently had elbow surgery :cry:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I’m definitely going to be replacing the mr2 with a GT86/BRZ as soon as I can sell it.

Definitely want to take the car with just pads and fluid to the track with whatever tyres first. But after that the choice of parts is insane in comparison. With the SW20 I really knew what worked well and what didn’t and the fact the aftermarket is pretty small.

Aside from the obvious map/manifold for the torque dip I’m not sure what else is really necessary. Wheels and tyres are the first thing I’ll be looking at.

Like with the SW there is one single suspension geometry kit, whereas has GT86 so many different suspension arms etc.

Going to be getting a facelift car, would really like the club in that nice blue but most of those are too new and maybe a bit too nice for what I want it for.

Also is it true you can actually fit a set of wheels/tyres in the car? As that would be amazing with the changeable weather we have here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, a second set of 17x9 wheels with 245-255s on them fit easily in the back of the car.

Seems like these things are pretty legit stock other than a set of properly set up coilovers, wheels, tires, pads, thin front bar endlinks, header, and tune. Stock rear camber when lowered to the correct ride height (22.5" bottom of 17" wheel lip to fender lip front and rear) is pretty alright, front gets all of it - just watch for endlink to chassis contact if you get all of your camber out of the plate vs the knuckle. imo, 12mm top strut bolt, SPC eccentric lower bolt, and camber plate for the little extra you'll need.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 5, 2023

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, a second set of 17x9 wheels with 245-255s on them fit easily in the back of the car.

Seems like these things are pretty legit stock other than a set of properly set up coilovers, wheels, tires, pads, header, and tune.

You don’t do staggered setups on these at all I’m assuming. There’s a reasonably priced AP Racing brake kit that’s available here for a decent price that fits 17’s but I wonder if it’s needed.

Only thing I’m worried about is TPMS which has to be working for inspection here. But it looks like you can buy a tpms coder and the oem sensors can be cloned.

There’s a company not too far away from me that sells the Harrop SC kit but I dunno if I’d ever do that. Last day I did there was a dude with a turboed 86 with an automatic which I was pretty impressed how fast it was.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I was able to get tpms installed on my aftermarket wheels and the installer matched the factory codes so summer / winter swaps require no effort on my part.

Only required upgrade for the track (not counting pads and fluid) is an oil cooler. The datalogs I've found online show some insane oil temps for a mostly stock car when tracked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, no stagger setups. FI is the devil on these things if you want a track car that runs long term.

Good call on the oil cooler, I forgot about that :v: Ended up pulling the oil cooler out of the K car to reduce complexity as oil temps aren't making it over 250f.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna ask about oil coolers. I’ve got one on the MR2 and on tracks with long straights it’s definitely worth it as it bought oil temps down quite a bit. Wasn’t sure if the GT86 needed one unless you went FI.

Oil grades on these cars also seem to set of a bunch of internet arguments, lots of people saying if you deviate from like 0w20 the motor will explode

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay I wasn't going to ask but two posts in a row? What the hell does this mean?

Edit: Fuel injection? It was initially brought up next to staggered wheels so I thought it wasn't that but now you're talking about it in an oil cooler context... Do MR2's have carbs!?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Forced induction - turbo/supercharger

I ain't touching the oil topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Forced induction - turbo/supercharger