Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

got off on a technicality posted:

or the OEM fluid isn't sufficiently high temp

Google suggests Audi's OEM fluid has wet/dry boiling points of 339/509 F, which is meh by hi-po brake fluid standards. Compare to ATE Typ200 @ 388/536 or Motul 600 @ 399/594, nevermind 660 or SRF .

got off on a technicality posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for a sort of light duty track pad? I used to run Pagid Blues on my Cayman (before progressing to Orange, which would squeal like a dump truck) but my knowledge is literally 10 years out of date now

IMO, ain't no such thing for a car that's seeing a buck fifty at the end of the straight. I like Pagid RSL19 "Yellow", but that is definitely not a pad you want to run all the time if you object to sounding like a dump truck. So you're better off swapping the pads for track weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I plan on upgrading to a set of Michelin PS4s since the car I'm driving is still my daily. So it's still more my daily driver than it is a track car. Can anyone recommend a set of brake pads that would be the equivalent step up in performance while still being decent for street driving?

What brake fluid are you using and how old was it? How much brake pad thickness did you consume for the weekend?

I think I saw you post in another thread that you had severe brake fade with heat soak - I'd be more suspicious of your fluid than pads. You have a heavy, high HP car - it will need fresh (<1yo, preferably <6mo) and quality fluid (start with ATE TYP200 and go up from there)

There is no such thing as a good combo street/track brake pad. Everyone who gets serious about this hobby ends up swapping pads or getting a dedicated car. Most people don't need to switch until they're intermediateish, but if you drive tracks that are hard on the brakes or your learning style is hard on the brakes, you may need to make this jump sooner.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Also recommend sugar-free sports drinks. You will be sweating and need to replace electrolytes, too.

Find somewhere shaded and make a friend. Most people at a track day will be happy to let you park a chair under their canopy.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Awesome, congrats

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motive power bleeder is the only way.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still pissed at Recaro for their handling of the Pole Position defects, but I love the Sparcos I currently have in the car and they weren't terribly expensive from Murray.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Any ferodo users in this thread? I'm considering switching to 1.11 or 3.12 in the M3 on track. How durable are they? Will it share rotors with oem pads? No judder?

I've been using Pagid RSL29 and they get the job done, but longevity is just LOL up front. 1 weekend at MSRH (not hard on brakes) and 2 at COTA (very hard on brakes) and the fronts are completely done. Had to come in a lap early on the final session because one pad had thinned to the point of delamination. At current prices, I'm burning through $200 of front brake pad alone in a weekend at COTA.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you want full data overlay and are ok with spendy, aim solo dl + smartycam.

Maybe the same Lambo that was a problem child the week before, too? What group was at cota last week? the answer is always to talk to the CDI when you see something dangerous going on

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kinda Edge Addicts' brand.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dinurth posted:

Do they actually have a bit of history or reputation? This was just my 4th time, 1st time running solo without an instructor - I've had great experiences so far.

Are there other groups that run track days at COTA?

Disclaimer: I instruct with PCA, which has a heavy emphasis on the educational aspect of HPDE (and a mountain of rules & regs to show for it). I have not run a weekend with Addicts but I know a couple of PCA instructors who tried a weekend with them and felt that there wasn't enough emphasis on instruction and enough of their soloed drivers had fast cars instead of fast skills to be concerning.

Other options at COTA: https://hpdejunkie.com/locations/circuit-of-the-americas/
Of those, PCA and Chin run instructed DEs. I'll obviously endorse PCA, but Chin is fine, too.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dinurth posted:

Does PCA only do full weekends? I can't just do a single day?

Just looking at the schedule for Chin I like it more already, I end up waiting up to 3 hours sometimes with Edge Addicts because they have so many groups (and last weekend had multiple black flags).

PCA usually does not offer single days. We've done it in the past, on occasion, but only when we're looking to drum up new green students.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire manufacturer's lawyers will say that the tire officially no longer has the speed rating after a puncture and repair. However, I and others have run patched tires on track before without incident plenty of times. When you say "bolt", do you mean typical nail/screw sized puncture or something worse?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The tire shop is mainly concerned about whether it'll hold air. On track, you also need to be concerned about how much the structural integrity was compromised.

12MM head should be an M8 bolt, so 8mm shank.

If the bolt head went through the carcass (12mm hole), I would not drive that tire on track.
If just the thread went through (8mm hole), I'd consider that pushing the upper bound of what's acceptable to repair for track work.

I wouldn't worry about shaving a new tire if the complementary one just has 2700 street miles (put the new tire on which ever side will wear harder for your track direction) . Does it make it easier to source the replacement if you just get a new one and throw it on?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It does, for sure. The Tire Rack road hazard warranty pre-approved me for a replacement. I think it covers installation as well. I'm bad with physics - if the course runs clockwise would it be the left side tires that get more load?
Typically, yes, unless you have some really hard left handers to counteract the fact that you're doing more net right turns.

quote:

One more thing. I measured the tread of the undamaged rear right tire and it was between 7/32" - 8/32" depending on where it was measured. New is 10/32" tread depth. Still in the clear for running an unshaved tire?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hey do you know if there’s a database of cars that pass AMP sound limits? The exhaust valves on the Alfa open around 3k and I have no way to keep them closed above that.

Can't you just unplug the actuator?