Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Get a dedicated track car or get a dedicated daily driver.

My biggest fear was always how to get my mangled heap back home. I need a worthless piece of crap tow vehicle too.

As someone that just lit his engine up on the track... get a dedicated $4-5k Honda daily driver. I'm just glad I stick to tracking bikes so I'm only out about $1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Does Chuckwalla have fuel on site or am I going to pay assfuck dollars at the only gas station 25 miles away?

Fuel on site.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aventari posted:

Yeah the main way I get better through fast sections of the track is to be behind someone good and see how much harder they can push it. It's amazing when you think you're on the edge and can't do anything else and then you're dicing with someone or trying to keep up with a faster car and suddenly you just took that sweeper 5-10mph faster than you ever had before or thought possible.

It's like, "Congrats, you just leveled up!"

Gotta be careful with this, on bikes it's easy to get towed into a corner way over your head and have a moment. I'd imagine the same thing happens in cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Aurune posted:

The oak tree had a proper tire wall and guard rail in front of it. It really wasn't a threat.
...for cars...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Blead the tires? You add air to have a lower hot pressure, removing air makes a higher hot pressure...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FatCow posted:

I want to hear how that all works.

I don't know if you're saying I'm full of poo poo or not. Unless bikes are different than cars then you're looking for a range of cold-hot pressure gain from cold to hot off the track psi - usually 5-7psi (and if you've got warmers you set the warmers 1-2psi lower than the hot pressure you want). If you have less cold PSI in the tire, then the tire flexes more, and will lead to a greater pressure gain as you're creating more heat in the carcass. Bleeding air would lead you to have less air in the thing, increasing tire flex, thus increasing tire pressure further. Too much pressure gain means the carcass is getting too hot leading to the tire melting and you get hot tear. Too little pressure gain means the outer carcass isn't reaching proper temp and you get cold tear.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 3, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

parid posted:

Unless they changed this too, they only record sound after turn 5. Turn your exhaust tip to the drivers side and lift there. It sucks but its not impossible to work with.

Mobile sound station now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are any of you using RaceChrono with an old android phone? I'm wondering what phone I should pick up to do this as cheaply as possible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does New York Safety Track run cars or just bikes?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://vimeo.com/14489137#at=0
Jesus fuckballs that was close.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dj Commie, I believe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also lost a racer at RA during the WERA races this past weekend, not a good weekend.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

animeliker posted:

Wow that was much cheaper than I was expecting. No cage, stock NA '91 MR2. I use a Arai M2000 right now but it's about to expire. I was told M helmets are less than ideal though (only designed to survive 1 impact).

That makes no sense in terms of designed to survive one impact. You're going to tumble in a motorcycle accident and have multiple head impacts... or at least that's how mine have gone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

For $20k though, you might be better off just going with karts.
Racing motorcycles is cheap by comparison. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm doing a trackday at Chuckwalla for the first time on Friday - anyone know what the pit situation is like shade wise? Every other track I've been to has had areas to pit under that were shaded.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, guess I need to buy an easy up tonight then. At least I don't need and outlet for warmers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Stardotstar posted:

Where are you planning to stay?

I'm not. Trailering out on Thursday night after work, sleeping in my truck until the gate opens, riding all day; and trailering home. I live in the Phoenix area. I did a trackday near Riverside two weeks ago and did Something similar.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 5, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Wagons are the best track cars if you're not towing it.
Wheels and tires and tools in the back is easy. Plus you can sleep in the back in a pinch or between run groups. Also, it is basically automotive trolling.

Speaking of Chuckwalla and wagons, there was a nice Imola E46 wagon on BBS wheels with ZHP bodywork at the house at Chuckwalla today.

Also, that is my new favorite track. Very favorable to carrying massive amounts of corner speed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll upload a video of a lap in my last couple of sessions.

8-9-10 is cool because you head up a hill in 8, crest at 9 offcamber, and drop into 10 blind.

The entrance to 11 is at the crest of a hill and when you reach the top you see the other riders going around the bowl at 13 in the distance and nothing in between - ultra loving cool. 12 is a downhill corkscrew kinda thing.

13 is the bowl which is fun to carry massive corner speed while being WOT throughout.

I was late apexing 16 and treating 17 as a straight while clipping very close the curbing - ran right over it one lap and got massive headshake. :v:

4-5 I treated as one corner, lots of lean angle. I was dragging kickstand early in the day, which I've never done before. Had my suspension set up and all was well, but still, most lean angle and for the longest amount of time for me at any track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

It's gold. I liked Blue because I'd swap between it and RBF600 - made it easy to tell if I had a complete bleed since I only run brake fluid for one day.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 11, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
light straw :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So Miller might not be going away, from what I've heard it seems like the county would like to keep the place open as a racetrack.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the go-to but reasonably priced tire gauge?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you two. :) I guess I'll go with the Joe's one since it's half the price.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Takeoffs :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How does everyone think it used to work back when there weren't really just 'trackdays'

Just devils advocate, I'm not saying it's a good idea in any way, shape, or form.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check the CA crash thread, a goon got life flighted at a trackday last month and it cost $60k just for the flight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What the gently caress?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Having done LS, it is totally worth it, even though I stayed at some lovely youth hostel (for 30bux) and didn't get any sleep.
Yeah, thill is way cheaper, but not as cool an experence. However, there's a reason I only did it once. The fuel is also even extra expensive if you buy it there.
The other cool thing about LS v. Thill is that you can do it in august without overheating everything in your car including the driver. I turned my ac on one thill day.
The best part about having done a bunch of trackdays in the past is it makes bikes look cheap.

It's worth noting that T-Hill is cool as poo poo too, but I say that having not gotten to ride Laguna... yet... Planning on doing a fly-n-ride with Feel Like a Pro later this year.
Chuckwalla blows all of the Arizona tracks out of the water, Thunderhill is more unique (I guess that's the word) than Chuckwalla but not necessarily better. God, Arizona sucks.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ilkhan posted:

What am I thinking of then? x65 was V12 and x63 was TT V8?

Yuppp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode Chuckwalla last month - it got cold in the early afternoon and started sprinking so it turned into an open trackday more-or-less with only 3-5 of us on track (no sessions, ride as much as you want for as long as you want).
Was spinning up the rear a lot and having fun until someone right in front of me had a major major highside out of 5. I packed up and went home after that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That track will literally kill people.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Definitely never gonna be motorcycles run there :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

Chump rented a DOT road sign for the 24 Hour @ VIR race this year:

I know the E30 dash anywhere. Also, what does it say?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuuuuuuck :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least he won't ruin the tofu.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pretty much, it's a little different in the bike world:
A Group - Rubbing paint is not encouraged but it does happen and passing anywhere is allowed
B Group - Leave 3ft room, passing anywhere
C Group - Leave 6ft room, no passing in corners

The newer B riders coming in from C are fine since they are very timid about passing and very careful about getting close to other riders. I tell these people to use the hot pit if they are being held up.
The issue is more in B where you have guys that should be in A carrying a bunch of corner entry speed and stuffing people. I understand that it's a psychological leap to move to A but if you're passing constantly and never / rarely being passed... there's your sign to quit being an rear end in a top hat.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 12, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone here moved from tracking motorcycles to cars and not regret it in some ways? I've ridden about 40 trackdays in the last few years but never been to the track in a car. Giving it up seems difficult and I don't really know how a car really compares.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anything specific you're wondering about?
I guess what I'm mostly wondering about is if cars get boring from the actual driving perspective versus riding.
It seems like I like cars more from the tinkering end of things, while I like actually riding a bike. I'm just starting to reach that crossroads where I'm thinking about my future health as I consider dipping into racing for the first time and wonder if now is the time to back out.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go. First trackdays in a car incoming. This will decide if I'm selling off my R6.