Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm doing my first PDX tomorrow. I'm sure my 105hp roadblock will make me the coolest kid in school :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I ended up doing pretty well at my first PDX. I got put in Novice, but I guess my one Chumpcar event at this track helped. My instructor told me I'm clearly no novice and let me go out on my own a few times. My '88 Golf is severely underpowered but it handled better than it has any right to. Passing s2000s is fun.

I downloaded Harry's Lap Timer but I didn't get much good data. It only recorded 2 laps out of an ~18 minute session with 12 or so laps, not sure whats up with that. I'll have to play with it more at the next event since my battery died after the one session.

Warmup lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbrXSU-HFuo

The Iphone 3gs has terrible GPS. It might get a better signal if I mount it differently next time.

e: Youtube video stabilization is trippy as gently caress

User Error fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 20, 2012

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Heel-toe every stopsign :eng101:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I really hope we get to do a 24 hour Chumpcar event. Double 7s are too easy :getin:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Are you interested in wheel-to-wheel racing and wrenching? You could check out ChumpCar. About a year ago I was in the same spot as you, looking for a cheap, fun car to wrench on and take to track days. I eventually gave up because everything in my price range was salvage titled or otherwise falling apart. ChumpCar's price limit is $500, not including safety equipment, so you basically want your car to be falling apart! Having 4-6 people really helps keep costs down, too. Each event is a 7-24 hour endurance race, and it's popular nation-wide. Perfect!

I'm going to be volunteering to work corner stations this summer, and trying to get a team together this fall/winter to participate next year.

Anyway, something to think about.

Chumpcar uses the fair market value of the car, not what you paid for it. They have a pre-approved list of cars. For anything that isn't on the list you just have to find 10 Craigslist ads for similar cars with an average price of $500 or less. They do allow you to replace anything with OEM equivalent new stuff. Brakes you can spend up to 2X the OEM price, but I've never heard of anyone getting busted for expensive brakes. I guess they might ding you if you show up with 6 pot Brembos.

Scroll down to the bottom of the rules: http://chumpcar.com/downloads/chumpcar-rules.pdf Anything on that list can be entered as long as it has no performance upgrades, regardless of the actual condition or cost.

I race an e36, I think we got 2 penalty laps last summer for some poly subframe bushings. Our total cost at our first (And so far only) race ended up at around $750/driver not including the build. We used my old daily driver and did the cage ourselves, I think we have around 2k into the car not including the initial purchase years ago. It helps that our team is 2 mechanics, an engineer, and a computer programmer.

before:

During:

Racing:

crap:

We've repaired the crash damage and will be at Road America in April. Join us!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
They were getting pretty gnawed up, figured it was worth a shot. I think the track surface was about 150F and I aligned the car the night before with a tape measure and a beer or 7.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

drgitlin posted:

See you there!

Ip for new teams thinking about E36s, the changed the AIV on them now so that they're a $500 car stock, and you're basically not allowed to do anything to thm beyond putting in a cage and other safety mods. No lightening, no fancy springs, no fancy motors.

Yeah, it's kinda BS. There's no way it's easier to AIV say a 944 than an e36, but e36s got singled out because people like to complain when they loose. Like it or not you can get an e36 for under $500.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Hmm, thinking about it more, some things I'd find particularly useful would be:
How to design and fabricate a safe rollcage, or ensure a purchase is safe
How to hook up a harness safely
Seat advice
How refueling during a race works, eg where is the fuel stored at the track and what to install on the car to safely and quickly refuel
Gear for yourself advice (helmets, firesuits, shoes...)
What to expect from the tech session
How to prep the car for race day, including tweaks for a particular track
How to prep yourself and your team for race day

... There's lots of stuff I'd love to learn more about :)

Add in how to do a pit stop! We were like a half dozen monkeys collectively loving a football for our first few stops, but we got it nailed down by the second day.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
WRL looks promising. We'll probably still do the chumpcar race at our home track next year, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Condren keeping things running that far into the future

My interaction with Joey is limited but he has always made a positive impression.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Getting ready for my first night race, and my first Chumpcar race in 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with the amount and quality of light these Chinese HID projectors throw. Still need to tweak the aim a bit.

edit: All my neighbors think it's really cool having a cool race car guy with a loud car on the street

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

User Error posted:

Getting ready for my first night race, and my first Chumpcar race in 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with the amount and quality of light these Chinese HID projectors throw. Still need to tweak the aim a bit.

edit: All my neighbors think it's really cool having a cool race car guy with a loud car on the street

Post race report: Lights suck, can't see poo poo, need apex lights.

We somehow came in 6th (out of 22) despite being several seconds slower than most of the cars there. When you're racing these heaps you basically have to not crash or break down and you'll do OK. I think only 8 or 9 cars took the checker flag, but a few of them spent significant time in the garages.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

drgitlin posted:

What region are you in? Because in the Central region that simply isn't true. TBR, ABR, Chump Faces, BAR etc all field bloody good cars and finishing in the top 10 is not easy. Then again a 22 car grid sounds terrible.

This was at Gateway, in the Central region. Turnout was pretty weak, I was really hoping to see more. It was about the same last time I raced in 2012. Holy Rollers were dominating until they had mechanical issues and F1 1ABs won. Kentucky Spirits has a drat fast 300zx and set the fastest time of day by a long shot but they weren't consistent enough to take first.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That could be a big part of it. I'm not thrilled with the direction Condren is taking things and I'll certainly look into running with WRL next year. Gateway being 30 minutes away made the decision easy this year. It gets a little lonely on track when half of a 22 car field drops out.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

Anyone doing the ChumpCar event in April at Road America?

We probably are.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
We will be there as well, #87 Butter My Waffle, 1992 e36 325i. I'll know this afternoon for sure but we are likely going to be very short staffed so I was thinking about pleading here for help in the pits.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

User Error posted:

We will be there as well, #87 Butter My Waffle, 1992 e36 325i. I'll know this afternoon for sure but we are likely going to be very short staffed so I was thinking about pleading here for help in the pits.

quotin myself:

We finished! We spent more time in the pits than we should have due to a couple of stupid issues, but we didn't crash it or blow up the motor. Road America is a loving awesome track. A friend of mine who helped crew our last race came through at the last minute, and I recruited a local SCCA guy and dragged along my roommate. I'm annoyed with myself for not prepping the car better but I couldn't have asked for better weather, a better track, or a better crew.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks! Nope on the Red Bull T, I think I was in my firesuit 90% of the weekend to keep warm, with a Blipshift tee underneeth. Broke my heart to see you guys pull in with steam coming out 5 minutes before the end of the race.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Where else can you stand in the heat all day for 4 minutes of action?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've never added up what we have into my e36 chumpcar but I know it's not that much. We built the cage with about 300$ worth of tubing and the car was my old daily driver. E36s don't need anything other than fresh rotors, good brake pads, fresh bearings and ball joints, and a fresh cooling system to be track worthy. The M50 motors are bulletproof. Fire suppression system is about $350, figure on $1000 for two sets of 17" wheels and another $1000 or so for belts/seat/window net, another $800 or so on gauges and data acq, 300$ in gas per weekend, $600 in tires every other weekend, $1200 in registration, tow vehicle, trailer, hotels .... OK it's expensive. Consumables and entry seem to cost about 700$ per driver per race.

I'm considering running with WRL at NCM next year because Chumpcar keeps changing the rules and the owner is a dick. They recently made Bilsteins legal and next year after market springs are legal which means I need to spend another $800 to keep up and they've really jerked around turbocharged cars. WRL seems much more straightforward.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

WRL requires a racing license or being signed off to drive solo from a well known HPDE. This is why WRL isn't a chaotic mess of contact like all the other leagues.

For what it's worth, the Chumpcar races I've done have been clean with the exception of a certain team with a dirt track Chrysler. I just avoided them all weekend but several other cars got rammed and for some reason they did not get kicked out. Inexperienced drivers are less of a problem than rear end in a top hat drivers who think they're invincible. I've had one vehicle give me a very minor tap from behind in about 50 hours of racing and the driver came up and apologized right after our stints.

My first time on a track was a race which was a baptism by fire. I would have been better off with some HPDE experience but I managed to learn.

User Error fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 18, 2016

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Is anybody going to be at Road America for the Chumpcar race next month? We did a track day last weekend to shake the car down and test out the new suspension. Still needs a few things but we're looking forward to a good race free of mechanical problems.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Racecapture seems pretty neat. We have had one in our car for a while but we've never had an Android tablet set up on the dash until now. We also have the sequential shift lights. I'm hoping the tablet isn't too much of a distraction.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'll be there, #87 e36. It's looking like we'll get perfect racing weather. I'm pretty confident that we won't have so many stupid mechanical issues this time. I did a bunch of preventative maintenance over the winter. We also have good shocks and a functional muffler now.

User Error fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2016

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

"e36" or e36 at RA... we'll be waving to you, as you continue to lap us.

Nah we suck pretty bad, I think our best lap was a 3:04 last year.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Pro tip, make sure your transmission drain plug is tight so it doesn't back out and dump the fluid and blow the transmission on the parade lap.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have ballpark pressures on Hankook Z221 C30 tires? I started out around 36 hot and slowly went down to 30 hot last weekend, but now I am hearing I went the wrong way.
I won't be running them again after they die, but it was worth a shot.

You really need a pyrometer to tune tire pressures. I have this one and like it: https://www.joesracing.com/i-21092094-joes-deluxe-racing-pyrometer.html

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Phone posted:

If you decide that this is something that you want to pursue, don't try to do the dual duty thing and pretend that you're being reasonable by making a bunch of compromises by putting 800# springs on the car that gets you to and from work. Buy someone else's project for pennies on the dollar and not spend half of Sunday's sessions wondering if you're going to be able to make it into the office on Monday.

Haha I take it you learned this from experience. Took me a while too.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I took my e36 m3 out for my first and probably only track day of the year yesterday. Everything went great until the end of the last session when a power steering hose let go and blew fluid all over my tires going into a reducing radius carousel. I managed to save it but that was a pucker moment.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Someone, I don't know who is behind it, is building a new track near Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. They've posted some pics and the layout looks awesome but it looks awful narrow and doesn't seem to have much runoff. They haven't shared any info regarding width, curbs, will it be up to SCCA/FIA etc specs.

Hopefully it works out, I would love to have an actual road course around here.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

They posted this today, I'm starting to get hype. I'm so bored with the roval in St Louis.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Some more deets

https://www.lakeexpo.com/real_estat...BC-OAPtPr3LM7rg

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Diametunim posted:

Has anyone ever tracked an E36? or know about the parts availability for E36's? There's a relatively a clean one here in Austin and I'm debating selling my Miata and switching platforms. Mainly because I don't own the truck and trailer, I'm driving to events, of which I mainly do 6-12 a year, there's not a whole lot of storage for spare parts and tools in the Miata, and for some reason or another I can't bring myself to cut up the interior of my Miata to fit a race seat in for me. I figure at the very least I'll fit in an E36 and could bolt the seat to the floor without making any major chassis modifications.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/cedar-park-1992-bmw-325i/7285303245.html

I used to run a '92 325i in Chumpcar and occasionally track my '97 M3. Parts availability is good as long as you're willing to wait on shipping, don't expect Autozone to have much. Aftermarket support is very strong for anything related to track/race goodies. There are several options for upgrading brakes and any brake compound you want is available. They make great track cars although the non-Ms need reinforcements welded to the unibody where the subframe bolts up. You should plan on dropping the subframe anyways to do the bushings. The M50B25NV motor in that car is very robust although it would be a good idea to drop the oil pan and tack the oil pump nut in place. They can back off with sustained high RPM use although I've never seen it happen. We beat the poo poo out of our 220k mile motor for probably 100 race hours without a hickup before I sold it.

e: That price does seem a little high

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Today is the first track day of the year, and since overhauling the rear subframe. Stiffer springs and no rear bar too, feels good.

I got the Spent my Hood Strut Money on Brake Pads blues

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I used Ferodo DS2500s for that application on my e36 M3. That and fresh GOOD fluid may be your best bet. You'll still eventually cook them and want to step up to more of a track pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Eh I was not impressed with the HP+. Obnoxious on the street and still overheated on the track. I found the DS2500 better in both regards. But yes, you'll probably want to go to a full track pad and swap them for track days.