Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

In fact, I start a job on Monday selling communications systems to LeMons/Chumpcar teams, so who knows what my role in that racing will be.

When you start, I might be interested in some sort of cheap system to shove into an enduro CRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

South Jersey Region SCCA Test Day tomorrow at NJMP. Time to dust off the cobwebs and wake up the car.

There are 12 cars registered for a $200 test & tune day. loving steal of a price.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you see an errant air filter on track that suspiciously looks like yours. What do you do?

A. Pit in to check if its yours
B. Give no fucks and keep racing
C. Hit it/punt it off track

All three, punt it off track. Give no fucks and finish the race. Finally pit in and yell, "CHECK IF MY AIR FILTER IS STILL THERE". Get a reply that it was your buddy's air filter and you just destroyed it by punting it with your car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

You guys realize that the line is different in the rain. And you should adjust your driving accordingly for wet conditions.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What is everyone up to Memorial Day? I know I'll be racing at Lime Rock Park for one of the few unmuffled dates (no sound restrictions!). Should be a good time. The schedule was recently updated to give more track time. HPDE is 2x20min and 2x25min sessions. The race groups get a 15min and 20min sprint race in addition to the normal 20min practice and qualifying.

Should be a good time.

http://imgracing.com/Events/EventInfo.aspx?Event=GetLoud2013

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

drat, I wish we had those limits!

Lime Rock Park has a limit of 86db typically. Independent Motorsports Group is one of the very, very few club level DE/TT/Race groups with an unmuffled day at the track. The rest are pro-type races from ALMS, Grand-Am, etc. So if you have a loud car in the NE and want to drive it at Lime Rock Park. Memorial day is one of the few events you can do it at.

Going to be some fast cars at the event:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/897BF8F2-E7EC-AA75-C48C2D2326299274#.UY7dJ7WsiSo

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Yea, Lime Rock isn't a cheap track. Most of the good tracks in the Northeast aren't cheap in general. Granted, you'll be hard pressed to find a weekend/holiday date at Lime Rock for much cheaper, especially with no sound restrictions.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I honestly don't understand why some people wouldn't point others by... It's a lot of fun trying to keep up with the people ahead of you through the corners.

I've realized that the people who don't give pointbys are often very, very focused on just trying to get around the track. (Also part of the reason they are slow). A sort of sensory overload. There is a lot of stuff happening on track. You're trying to drive fast, you have corner workers with flags, other cars, etc.

Interesting sidenote, one of the best instructors I had while I was doing DE days actually had me stay behind a slower car with a faster driver. He wanted me to watch the car control and how he worked the corners. Every moment on the track is a learning experience even if you're stuck behind a slower car. Try to watch what they are doing and see their mistakes. Figure out why they're slower. Or possibly even faster in certain sections of the track.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

G-Mach posted:

Often he points out at the horrible lines/bad braking that the wheel to wheel guys take.

Wheel to wheel racing is a totally different beast. You can't always take the best line. Another car may occupy that space. Or, in an enduro you start to wear out your left tires so you have to adjust accordingly. Granted, they might actually suck. :p

Good racers will use safe track time like HPDEs to practice off line racing, different braking points, artificial handicaps, etc. All while trying to keep consistent lap times. HPDEs reward consistency. Wheel to wheel promotes strategy.

An example of driving a defensive line versus the optimal line. The faster line going into this lefthander is to stay far right, going wide, and braking late. However, this leaves a shitton of room on the left. The proverbial door is left open for someone to poke their nose into. It is a slow exit out of the corner and if that guy takes the inside, there is no room to repass even if you exit with a faster speed. You're just stuck behind him. So what you ideally try to do is figure out how to take up as much of the track so in that corner while maintaining a decent line.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 5, 2013

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I still love Lime Rock Park. Forgot I had video from my last race there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYjiwq01MA

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nollij posted:

miss heel toe, instead foot slips between the two pedals to the floor and you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZtXvtyQhNg

whoops! Yours? At least you had tons of runoff :p

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Haha, what did you do when you saw the wheel? Musta been a long lap back. You had just exited the pits.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Looks like hyperfest might have some inclement weather this weekend. I'll be at Summit the weekend after for another race weekend with IMG.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

You can see me lurking menacingly in the background. The colors in the full resolution version of this photo are amazing.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got this e-mail about a really great deal for an upcoming event at Pocono. I've driven these things and they are a blast. They posted a ride along video of the new Pocono North Course - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opvtmpIF3M

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=99c7d4b37f748969d50a6e3c8&id=6e2834751a&e=8a84644d5d

quote:

First-Time Racecar Rental Special
from Entropy Racing - September 28-29 at Pocono

Entropy Racing, is offering to pay the entry fee for any first-time racecar rental customers at IMG's September 28-29 Go All Out at Pocono North event.

You read that right - Rent an Entropy Sports Racer at Pocono, and your entry fee for a weekend of HPDE, Time Trial, or Double Sprint Races will be free. Better yet, any licensed racers who take advantage of this offer may share their car in the 2-Hour Enduro with no additional entry fee, and their co-driver will receive 1/2 off of their Enduro rental fee.

This is a perfect opportunity for experienced DE drivers looking to step into the world of wheel to wheel racing - A 2-Day competition race school with classroom and on-track instruction is part of the schedule.

With the crazy amount of track time available at our September Pocono North event, this is a perfect opportunity to enjoy a thrilling ride in a lightning fast Sports Racer without the hassle of towing or working on your car.

E-mail Charlie@entropyracing.net to Reserve your Ride

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Gotta fuel faster, yo.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What did you guys use as fuel jugs? We've been looking at the Hunsaker jugs. http://hunsakerusa.com/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

I took my formula 500 car to the late night drags at Portland raceway on Friday. My Fastest run was a 12.442 @ 101.86mph. My reaction times were pretty terrible since I wasn't sure how to time the lights with the centrifugal clutch engagement on the CVT. I had a lot of people asking me about the car while I was there. It seemed like everyone was pretty interested in seeing it run, even the guys running the track. It was pretty fun but I doubt I'll be taking it to the strip again since it's not made for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WmD7y6_nE

This is loving awesome.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

the poi posted:

The track runs in both directions in a handful of configurations--that station makes much more sense going in the other direction, and isn't anywhere close to a problem in other configurations. Just bad luck really (it's insured through Lockton though so it could've been worse!)

drat, sucks. At least your brother is ok. I recently watched a friend roll his CRX onto its roof during a qualifying session. I was behind him and knew he had gone in way too fast. Whole thing happened in slow-mo as I watched the CRX catch the gravel and flip.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phone posted:

There's only one AMB transponder and it's $400.

They upped the price I think to $489 recently?

I think we might still have a few new in box AMB transponders for sale. If you or anyone else is interested I can find out how many (if any) are left and how much they are.

We got a big discount from MyLaps when we bought our timing system. So the cost per unit is lower than what they charge on the site.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 15, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'll see what info I can fill in about the EVSR. I'm not privy to all the information; but, here is a dump of what I do know. The ballpark is to be able to run the car for a full race day without needing to fully charge. So essentially 3 x ~20 minute sessions. Practice, Qualifying, and a Sprint Race. The car itself is powered by two electric motors and they are de-rated from their maximum output. The plan is to be able to run competitively with other ESRs and the Spec Racer Fords. With the addition of a nifty push to pass button and brake regeneration.

IOwnCalculus - A few of us want to play with the bodywork and aero; but, that will have to wait for the next iteration. It is more important to get a racing and running car.

Next time I'm up at the shop, I'll try to get more pictures for you guys and information. I was hesitant to take pictures of some of the innards.

Edited - removed some incorrect information.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 4, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Aurune posted:

Your ESRs appear to be ex-SCCA Sports Renault racers. I'm racing the "updated" Spec Racer Ford this year. They have a massive rear weight bias which makes the car a amazing hoot to drive. Also, there is also nothing like having your head sticking out of the top of a car at 100+ mph.

I'd really be interested in seeing what a EV version would be like. Enough torque to actually spin the rears?

I can't give exact numbers; but, the power output is more than the SRFs.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that EVSR is very cool and I really look forward to seeing how those thing progress and work on the track. I've played with a few homemade karts adapted to electric and they were very fast and scary as hell to drive but duration was always an issue. Now I'm kind of looking at building my E21 to electric for short range commuting or track duty depending on battery pack.

Keep us updated. Will these be available for rental similar to the Spec Renaults?

I don't know their long term plans; but, they won't be for rent this year. We have two test drivers who will be campaigning it this year.

Someone snuck some video of the sound - http://instagram.com/p/j5TJ2Mr-gO/

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 4, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/chasingtarmac/status/436290799567785984

So pumped. This will be the first time I'm driving at the 12hr and not just crewing.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Got my NecksGen Rev recently. I have friends with the old and new HANS and also the Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage. Hopefully I never need to test it.

http://www.necksgen.com/

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

eriddy posted:

What's the benefit of superblue?

Higher boiling point.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

Has anyone actually gotten this to work? In my experience the blue dyes the lines and you never really get yellow again.

Yea, honestly. The color thing has always seemed overblown to me. It is a cheap brake fluid with better boil over characteristics compared to the normal poo poo in most street cars that someone will bring to an HPDE. I switched to Motul awhile back when I started boiling superblue.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got back from a private test day at Summit Point for the EVSR I posted earlier. Was a blast watching it hit the track for the first time and the testing was a great success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zch-1Y30Nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uICG3Yakg6g

The thing is eerily quiet like all electric vehicles. The drivers and team posted a bunch of information on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681741301864205&set=a.680583101980025.1073741830.680538678651134&type=1&stream_ref=10

My lovely lap from last year vs one random lap.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...authorName=EVSR

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2014

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Who was the AI poster who worked for Rugged Radios I think it was?

Looking to grab some gear for an upcoming 12hr race.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

So, I found out recently that the EVSR I talked about earlier is going to be running as an Exhibition entry at the 12 Hour Devil in the Dark at NJMP on April 26th. This is the electric racecar that I've posted a little bit about previously. I'll be at the race with my team running a Honda CRX. It should be interesting seeing this thing on track and racing with it.

https://www.facebook.com/ElectrifyingRacing/posts/694049443966724?stream_ref=10

quote:

Entropy Racing and EVSR.net will be the first fully electric team to enter an endurance race and the first fully electric team to run a race in the dark!

EVSR will enter our fully electric car in the SCCA Jersey Racing Board's Devil in the Dark 12 hour endurance race. We will be running between 4 and 5 stints over the course of the race demonstrating speed potential in some and range in others while we become the first EVER to run an Electric Racing car in the dark at competition speeds. we intend to run around 3 hours of the race while charging in between sessions. While quick change batteries may become an option in the future, we are still early enough in development to be content to be the first on two important milestones and in 2015... LOOK OUT because we will study viability and hopefully be able to run the whole race and compete for the whole 12 hours.

They'll also be running at the Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR with both cars.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Electric racecar in the rain? Yes.

More pictures - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.697868030251532.1073741834.680538678651134&type=1

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

How were the laptimes compared to an average SRF in the rain?

Limerock is a fun course. Kind of basic, but you can pretty much drive it flat out with smaller cars. Or you can spin the downhill when you miss the apex, like I did in my first 1G Eclipse.

Sadly, I don't know their laptimes. Probably easiest to ask on their facebook. I know they were running 1:28s at Summit Point Main recently.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What is everyone up to on Memorial Day? You should hit the track at Lime Rock Park with me! Unmuffled day which is really rare at Lime Rock Park.

http://msreg.com/GetLoud2014

Should be fun times. We even do a potluck BBQ at 7PM on Sunday before the event. Bring some food and we'll chuck it on the grill.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sab669 posted:

poo poo, thanks for posting this! I moved to Buffalo NY but I'll be back in MA & RI for that whole week. Do I need to sign up for anything else, or just through here? gently caress I really shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now but I want to :(

If you have questions, feel free to e-mail us info (at) imgracing.com. You'll get the best/fastest answers via that e-mail. Are you planning on running the HPDE/Time Trial sessions or the sprint races?

Trust me, it'll be worth it. If you've never been, Lime Rock Park is a beautiful track with lots of history. Really nice paddock.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sab669 posted:

It'd just be Time Trial; my only "track" experience was Opening Weekend at Watkins Glen out here in WNY. Wanted to check out Lime Rock before I left RI but never had the money to do so. Thanks for the email link, I'll have to do some number crunching :)

You should definitely do it. If you sign up, let me know. We have some great instructors. If you're just time trialing, you just have to sign up for the "HPDE Entry" and if you want you can add the skipad (but that is optional).

Even if you don't sign up, feel free to come out and spectate.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with the NecksGen Rev? I have to get a head and neck restraint to be able to race my formula 500 car. It seems like it would be better than an adjustable HANS device. Being cheaper with the new lemons $100 rebate helps too.

In other news. I got signed off for my SCCA novice permit last friday. :dance: It was pretty fun at Portland International Raceway but tiring driving my car for 3-4hrs on track throughout the day. The rain was ridiculous at times but I only spun out 8 times. Even with my hoosier wets I barely had any grip since my car is so light(800lbs with me in it).

I use a NecksGen Rev and I prefer it over the equivalently priced HANs. I can't speak for the newer/fancier HANS models; but, compared to the Sport it is a bit nicer. The biggest thing that I notice is that 3" belts seem to just sit into place better on the NecksGen when you are buckling in.

Do you have any specific questions about it?

Grats on the SCCA novice permit!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

One of the best feelings in the world is throwing the car into a corner, feeling the front push just a bit, putting your foot in it, feeling the back start to let go, having the car seemingly pivot about it's axis and slingshot out of the corner. The back end moving just enough that you can dial out some of the steering input so the push goes away as it comes around... So great. Last time at this track I'd back off if I was feeling any kind of push/slide at all.

Plus, getting passed is awesome, because it means you can try and keep up. Best motivation to push harder is trying to keep up with / reel in that car just ahead of you. I got passed lots in the advanced group, and learned a tonne & saw different lines as a result.

Both my shoulders are also bruised, bucket seat is great and all but man I'm sore. Please excuse the ridiculous posts that must sound normal to all of you, but I'm still amazed by the fun.

You're dancing with the car :3

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Be careful out there guys. Some bad incidents at NASA Hyperfest at Summit Point this weekend.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phone posted:

I think I heard about it when I was at CMP this weekend. Dude cooked it during a Hyperdrive and the course had no armco, hit a tree, and the instructor was on the business end of blunt force trauma. Right?

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news...ce6d384cd4.html

Sad.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

There was also a driver in PTD that got airlifted to the hospital that day. Two cars involved in that one but the driver of the other car walked away. Rumor says that the passenger side a-piller was a few inches from his helmet. Tree[s] were also involved.

There is a thread on RRAX with a ton if info and the less-injured driver posting.

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?49404-Red-flag-at-Hyperfest/page2&p=1429935#post1429935

Yea, Todd is a friend and has instructed me in the past. Bunch of us were worried that he was the instructor from earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

FatCow posted:

Do you know anything about his safety gear? Rumor is that he had a bolt in cage that failed (passenger forward hoop was ~center car and driver side forward hoop tore off the floorpan) and a OEM style seat with a back brace.

I've raced with the car and seen it. It was an autopower cage that was welded into the car with plates and so forth. And yes, it was an OEM seat with back brace. I had always questioned it; but, the car fit the rules at the time it was built. A lot of it was grandfathered as the rules changed. I've yet to see the car in its current form since I wasn't at the event.

Thankfully he is still him and is getting discharged tomorrow.

* Edit - Honestly, my opinion is that when he initially built the car. It was safe. That car has seen years and years of HARD racing. I feel like the chassis itself was just tired and old.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 10, 2014