Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Sunday Funday at good old Thunderhill East with the Volkzda went great even for not driving the full east course in like 6 years. I went back to the Flyin' Miata sway bars and it's much better but I still have tweaking to do. The Hawk ER-1 pads are pretty drat good but seemed to have an annoying tendency to increase grip as they heated up in the middle of long braking zones. It felt weird and didn't inspire the greatest confidence. IDK maybe it's just my setup of heavy car/tiny brakes.

Now for the real news. Randy loving Pobst was there, with his sick rear end '77 Firebird! I didn't get to see it run on track though. He spent most of his time riding shotgun with someone and constantly having conversations with random people. And... senpai noticed me!! I was packing up the car at the end of the day and he came walking over and was like, "I saw you had the hood (now trunk lid) open and wanted to see what you had done to this thing... uhh wait a minute... (looks inside)... waaaiiittt a minute... is this a Miata underneath" and I'm like, "Yep, (blah blah blah)", "Oh wow man that's cooool!". He asks if he can take a quick video and then does, asks me my name, says some stuff about the car, and thanks me and leaves. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet but I'll have to put a link in the Volkzda thread if it isn't dead yet. Did I get a selfie or with him? Of course not because I'm an idiot (or just exhausted, dehydrated, and starstruck).

I should also add that a motorcyclist running on the west track got hurt bad enough that they called in a helicopter. Crazy. T's and P's man. That's why they call 'em "organ donors".

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Joe Mama posted:

Randy loving Pobst was there, and... senpai noticed me!!

https://instagram.com/stories/randypobst/2917710804041082243?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Speaking of brake dust, I just did three track days spread over four weeks with what's left of the Hawk ER-1s without cleaning my wheels during that time. They were caked as gently caress but came clean with regular car soap and a brush and, lo and behold, the wheels are fine! I was actually surprised, by the wheels and my laziness.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

aventari posted:

How do you like the Hawk ER1s? I've been using Raybestos ST43's for many years in my endurance cars and they've been amazing. They last 2-3 16-hour events and never fail. They are kida pricey though.

Wondering how ER1 stacks up

You would be much better than I at comparing them apples to apples with other legit endurance pads. I have only ever done HPDEs. I got them because Hawk bills them as an endurance/HPDE pad that are superior because they waved crystals over them or some poo poo. I won't be buying them again because the initial bite isn't aggressive enough for me and their longevity was actually a bit less than the Blues I had before. I was looking for a 'newer, better Blue' basically and these aren't it. All that being said, they seem like they'd be a good endurance pad and their street manors are actually pretty good.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

KillHour posted:

How terrible of an idea is this

https://www.audibuffalo.com/used/Porsche/2001-Porsche-911-aab133a60a0e0a9925c0211e34ebb229.htm

I'm a bit worried about whether that's just a K&N intake or if they hosed with other stuff too.

K&N plus Walmart-grade audio equals :raise:
Who knows what else was cheaped out on.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Hells yes. Where at?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Second that. Definitely a bucket list track. The history, the area, the track itself. Volkzda didn't like it so much but it has more power and more tire now so I should probably get back there and try it again. I just did Thunderhill West again on Saturday. Set personal bests in 4 straight sessions, beat the previous best by 2 whole seconds. 75% of that was due to the tires for sure, went from Maxxis VR to RC. They actually behave fairly similarly to the VR, but with no alignment or suspension changes, the car handled perfectly balanced and the tires wore dead even across the face on all 4 tires. I probably had everything set a bit too aggressively for the VRs to begin with so the RCs stepped right in.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 29, 2023

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

That's fortunate, I've been through dozens of sets of RC1s between the S2000, Miata, and BRZ. They wore super evenly for me on both double wishbone cars, but I've yet to get the fronts to wear evenly on the BRZ strut front end, drives me nuts.

I spoke too soon. Did T-Hill west reverse on Sunday. Left side tires, especially the rear, got their asses beat. Holy poo poo it's a tough track in reverse but man is it fun. At least the tire flogging wasn't in vain, I set a new personal best there again down to 1:33 flat. The car is definitely capable of more but now I have to do a trans rebuild and the front brakes NEED to be upgraded to 4 piston calipers on 11" rotors, stock fronts are absolutely cooked.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Always nice to have more video in the thread .... :) I've had a hard time getting the RC1 to wear evenly, usually it does some weird mountain poo poo as it folds over on itself. Usually running slightly higher pressures (like 36 hot) helps.

I was using Track Addict on my phone and the mount sucks so the video is nausea inducing. That's what my left RC1s did, the center band especially kinda wore into a mountain peak or saw tooth. I was running 34-35 so I'll bump it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
That's a nice, well-rounded track package though. Money well spent.