Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Muffinpox posted:

Unfortunately for me his means I can't run my S2000 without a rollbar, and the harness requires cutting up the interior. I need to find a new rwd dd I can track :sigh:

Isn't it only a few relatively small and easily replaceable interior panels that you have to cut up? Just buy replacements unless you have a super unique interior colour and swap them out when it comes time to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Muffinpox posted:

Not really, the driving styles are pretty different. For rally-x, awd will be faster but not necessarily more fun.
The driving styles are really different.

I've driven both a '90 Civic Si and a '97 Impreza at rallycross and most of my time in the former was spent trying to keep it out of snowdrifts, remembering which way the front wheels are pointed, and keeping the car directly on the ruts. The latter I could pop some power oversteer (as much as the crappy engine would let me crank out) and focus on my direction and the weight shift of the car.

As long as you can avoid that "slingshot" effect (lose grip, turn steering wheel, suddenly get grip and go rocketing off because you forgot where the front wheels are pointed) you can be really fast. That comes with practice. I ended up going to AWD and didn't have to worry about it, but I feel like I should have nailed it down better.

We class our rallycross events by drivetrain (FWD, RWD, AWD) and nothing else, so it's a pretty good comparison. Pretty much everything is stock. The best FWD drivers are running not far off the best RWD drivers, who are in turn not running very far off the AWD drivers. You won't be missing out with an FWD car.

The thing to remember: at rallycross, cheap is fast. If you can't risk pirouetting it into a snowbank, you can't win. Ride height, tires and soft suspension help a lot too. :)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Since he mentioned Danish, I assume he's talking about European rallycross, which is wheel to wheel. But that format at the lower levels seems to be even more banging than American rallyx.
Even cheaper, then! FWD might have a major advantage in that as it'll be harder for someone to damage your drive axles by clipping your rear quarter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

The best places to vent this air out are in the front half or so of the hood and the backs of the fenders.
I knew there was a reason I haven't fixed the rust in my rear wheel arches yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nVortex posted:

I can rev match fairly well when just coasting to a stoplight. Tried adding some braking to that today and I think the problem is I'm used to having my heel as an anchor point on the floor to smoothly control braking. Also I have big feet so I have to blip the throttle with whatever part of my shoe I can touch it with and its not accurate at all.
I'm basically where you are right now, I think. I'm trying to be less heel-braced (since I think it's also compromising my ability to quickly add and lose throttle) but the Senna method of rolling to blip has been working for me. I can do it flawlessly if I'm not paying attention, but as soon as I focus on it everything goes to poo poo.

It took a few tries to get coordinated enough that I can do it without completely releasing the brake and jerking the car back and forth but I'm on my way. Thin-soled shoes do really help. I picked up a set of puma driving shoes when they were 40% off on one of their periodic online sales.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, the guy in the Jag better hope he didn't drop any fluids while his car was actively on fire.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wish I had a desktop sized shot (1080p) of that minivan v. BMW picture. Looks like it's kind of at the limit of resolution already though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blooot posted:

If you get the chance to run Thunderhill in reverse, do it!

It's been too long since we've seen this little guy, Blooot. :3:

It still looks great. I wish I lived in California.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good driving. What's in that Miata? I particularly like the interior side mirrors.

I love when the FB RX7 and the RX3 are hanging out next to each other having a bee-noise contest. :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We had a guy show up with a Legends car to autocross once. It was based off some sportbike engine and transmission (I want to say Yamaha R1) so it had no reverse.

Savage little beast but he needed a marshal to push him backward from a curb spin-out a few times.

Dinky as gently caress. An original Austin Mini was also there and seemed to tower over it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Which ones are those? A buddy is going to the states next weekend and I want him to do a harbor freight trip for a few cheap things I could use.

The Canadian Tire low-profile racing jack is on sale right now for $100 (reg. $200).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

parid posted:

My Oakley gloves were total garbage. Wore out after two events. I was told that Oakley sold out the brand to some cheap overseas manufacturing. Will never buy another racing product from them again.

Oakley either got acquired or had some management change that ended up in them outsourcing everything - their optical wear is also of really low quality and assembled in China now.

I wouldn't buy anything from them unless I absolutely had to at this point.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I usually use Dales Alignment & Brake in Surrey for brake parts on this side of the border. Give Jason a call and see if he can make it happen for you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I thought I saw talk about 4 point harnesses that use the stock mounting points and buckle in this thread, but I can't find it. Does anyone have experience with those systems? I want to see if there is one compatible with my car.

The Schroth harnesses are popular in the Subaru world but I can't speak to what quality or safety they are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
For what it's worth, I love my CG-Lock.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Speed Ventures will have $75 skid pad practice, too pricey? Or invaluable limit of adhesion practice?

Here in Canada, we get this for free between September and May.

$75 for a skidpad sounds like fun though, but it always depends on how many runs you get.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

Laughing hysterically at how calm this guy is after just sticking their car into the side of a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAjS5o9X3A

"Yeah, we're good!"

A couple years ago on the Targa city stage, a Porsche driver shoved his car into a family's fence, destroying it. The family invited him for dinner that night.

They love the Targa out east. Too bad the city stage is gone this year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

Targa NL does a course in my town most years. Me and a few friends usually catch it and watch the other semi-local courses. We got to see an Enzo go swimming a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBBVIwc4KxU

Zahir is from my town. He doesn't drive a lot better here, but he has moved his dealership out of a bad ghetto into a slightly better one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's what it sounded like to me, then I looked up the Hyperdrive. I guess it's some kind of 15-20 minute HPDE while your friends are all watching you?

Feel awful for the instructor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

So someone posted this article on Reddit... For $20K you get a "Nismo Micra" and a couple hours of track time...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/nissan-micra-cup-new-affordable-race-series.html

:staredog:

If you live in Canada, which is the only place in North America the Canadianized Micra is sold.

Excited that they see the motorsports potential. Curious if it'll ever be a reasonable STF autox competitor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's about what you'd spend for the other B-Spec efforts (the HPD Honda Fit, the SCCA Mazda2 and Fiesta).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/b-spec-racers-honda-fit-vs-kia-rio5-mazda-2-mini-cooper-hatchback-comparison-tests

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't ATE have Super Gold now?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Neptr posted:

They always did, the idea was to switch from blue to gold so you knew when your system was flushed. They were the same except for the color

I thought it was blue and clear, not blue and gold. Maybe I'm wrong, because I was one of the wanna be racers who forgot that part. ;)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the poi posted:

Also, update--I tagged Forgestar in a Facebook post with that video and got a call like 5 mins later. They're going to refund me on the wheels AND buy me a new balljoint. So that's pretty cool.

Nice. Do you have to send the old wheels back for analysis or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Dumb question: cheapest place for magnetic numbers?

I don't want to shell out $35 per side of my car for 3 numbers / 3 letters :(

I used Vistaprint and then found out that most of my drivers' door is Bondo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

After 18 months, 1 garbage motor, a ridiculous amount of rust repair, and a bunch of wiring problems we are almost ready with our first from scratch build. Hit VTEC for the first time ever with the second motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9HenDkkUw

A Volkswagen dealership is like the perfect place to do pulls. You're definitely sure you're never going to hit anyone.

e: is that a loving routan

e: e: the TL front end looks better than I could have imagined.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sounds like a good event even with the failures. How bad was the rest of the grid driving? I've heard stories.

Also, if whoever owns that red Saabaru ever gets tired of having a hood, fenders and bumpers.. call me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

Well, had my first wheel to wheel action today in the form of ice racing. I've never had so much fun in my life.

It's structured in an endurance format, with 6x 40minute sessions, cumulative number of laps. 3 drivers per team, no studs/tractionizing allowed. While contact is frowned upon, being an ice race there was certainly a fair amount. I don't think we ever got going faster than probably about 40mph.

From a previous year, here's a vid showing what I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0tNf0Rd4o or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9144ugi7YA

I really want to join in on the local Chevette ice-racing series. Here's an in-car video from a Chevette/rubber car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qEITe0hUhE

Unfortunately, I believe they've been having trouble finding enough entrants to field a class in later years, probably because all Chevettes in the province were consumed by these banger races previously.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a hard hit. Hope you're not hurt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

That reminds me that there was a video I ran across earlier this week that showed details of a Civic rally car that has been run since the 90's. They covered basically the entire underside of the car and leading edge of rear suspension in shoeglue or something similar and reapplied as it was worn off by rocks.

e: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDuIal6PLQ&t=140s

This is brilliant. The in-wheel mudflap is some straight-up rally genius, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

That's the best stopbox I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That sucks that they went under. I like my CG-Lock, but I haven't put it into any of the most recent cars I've gotten.