Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I did my first HPDE in October of last year and was hooked immediately. I've been to a few since then and have another coming up June 30-July 1. I don't have the most ideal car (2011 Camaro SS) for the track, so I'm actually starting to save up so I can buy a Camaro-Mustang Challenge (CMC) Mustang.

I know a Miata would be a more ideal track car, but I'm a sucker for a V8. Even if I never race the car, I would prefer to have a dedicated track car, especially since the cost of consumables on a CMC car are significantly cheaper than my Camaro. I thought about building one up from a street car as well, but from what I've found it's cheaper to buy a car that's already built.

Also if you're in Texas, you have The Drivers Edge (http://www.thedriversedge.net/) for HPDEs at MSR-Houston, Texas World Speedway in College Station, and MSR-Cresson in Fort Worth. These things fill up quickly so you have to register early. Grandsport Speedway in Houston hosts HPDEs as well. Texas World Speedway also has a Performance Driving School that they host.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I use Harry's Lap Timer Pro with a RAM mount I got from Amazon and it has worked great so far. I just purchased the Emprum UltiMate GPS to use with it, but haven't had a chance to try it on the track yet. The internal iPhone GPS will do fine if all you're worried about is timing. Example (2011 Camaro SS at Texas World Speedway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdb18ZjwQLM

And on the subject of cars going off in front of you, I was proud of myself for not following this Mustang off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LJ9NnWOKAM

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

iDiOt RaCe posted:

That app looks realy cool, is there an android version available or something similar? Mind you alot of trackdays in the uk frown on you timing laps and such as it encourages people to push too hard and the inevitable happens.

Trackmaster is the one I've heard talked about. Pretty sure it does the video overlay as well.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a recommendation for a good portable air compressor to bring to the track?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I have heard the Angel Pads work well in the Corvettes to help keep your hips from sliding around. Don't have any first hand experience with them though. It's definitely cheaper than a seat/harness set-up.

http://angelwingstech.com/store/

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Been looking at picking up some data acquisition stuff lately, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Traqmate Classic Complete or Racepak G2X. At one point the Aim SoloDL was in the running, but since my ECU isn't compatible with their DL, I've pretty much ruled it out. One of the main features I was looking for was the ability to add sensors at a later point, which both the Traqmate and G2X can do, although the Traqmate seems pretty limited on what sensor data can be added compared to the G2X.

I guess it really comes down to the software. I've heard that the Racepak software isn't as good as Traqmate, so I was hoping maybe someone here had at some point used both and could compare. I've also heard that Racepak's software is plenty good once you figure out how to use it.

I really don't want to spend more than $1000, which is plenty doable with the two options listed above. Am I missing out on any other systems? I've been using Harry's Lap Timer + 5hz Ultimate GPS, but the only way to do any meaningful data analysis is to export it and load it into Circuit Tools 2. Problem with that is I don't really care for the Circuit Tools software. I've tried it a few different times now and just don't care for how it's set up.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I looked into it and have heard good things about it. I even downloaded Race Analyzer and some log files to give it a go. I was sorely disappointed with the analysis capabilities. I'm sure it will get better in the future, but for now I'll probably wait and see what happens. I love the idea of the project, but I just don't have the time to hack around with the thing.

Is the Race Analyzer software the only way to analyze data? I mean compared to Traqmate or Circuit Tools it seems to be lacking quite a bit.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

Enough helmet chat.

How about some videos of big spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQPfPsZjOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxjVYOCno4

Both of me from this weekend at TWS. 1 and 2 are the fastest sweepers on the course, and (at different times) I lose it in both.

It's interesting to use the video and GPS data after the fact to see what really went wrong - my memory of the incidents doesn't get all the details right! For instance, in the spin at 1, I though a bungled downshift started the rotation, but the video clearly shows there was no downshift at all - I was merely thinking about downshifting at the time. You can see I'm turning pretty considerably to stay on the ultra low line the instructor was discussing, and I simply get on the brakes too hard for that amount of lat G I had going on at the time.

Despite the offs still a great weekend for me with new personal bests of 2:01 laps.

The car will definitely get floaty under braking going into T2. It's pretty awesome once you start using that to your advantage. Do you happen to remember who your instructor was?

Are you planning to be at the PDS event next weekend? As of right now I should be there instructing. We'll be running CW, which I think is more fun than CCW.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I bounced between the Traqmate and the Aim Solo. I ended up with the Traqmate mainly because of the software and camera control. It makes doing video overlays super easy and will automatically start recording video when it starts recording data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xntwthB_I

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

parid posted:

Also, skip hpde and go right to amateur racing.

Yeah, nothing is better than some idiot driving around without a clue what the proper line or braking zones are, while being a danger to himself and everyone else out on the track. Trying to learn how to drive a car around a track while also trying to concentrate on racing a car is stupid. There is a reason Joey has rejected teams for WRL races when their only experience has been Lemons racing. From what I recall you have to be a solo driver with an HPDE group before being allowed to race WRL.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Do you think they'd accept having driven solo with Bondurant's Formula driving program? I've done several HPDEs, but never got signoff on soloing there.

Like NitroSpazzz said that will probably be sufficient, but I would call or email first.

I don't know what the SCCA requirements are, but to get a competition license with NASA you have to complete their HPDE program and then take competition school (prices will vary by region/track, but here in Texas it's somewhere around $300-$350). Depending on how quickly you pick things up, you can easily get through through the HPDE program in two weekends. Then you take comp school the next weekend and then you're off racing that weekend assuming you pass comp school. Also, a lot of people don't realize that you can use a street car for comp school., you don't have to have a race prepped car.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

What are you guys talking about. You don't have to run any DEs with NASA before taking their comp school. You must do comp school in a race car with a log book. If your region doesn't require that I'm sure NASA national would be unamused. (13.1.1) If you have a SCCA license all you need to do is send NASA a copy of your SCCA license and $90 and you have a NASA license. You can also turn a SCCA rookie license into a NASA provisional license the same way. (14.1.2) No idea what it looks like if you want to turn a NASA license into an SCCA license since I race with NASA. And as blk96gt mentioned, NASA comp school cost me $420. I ran one NASA DE before that just to get a feel for their events before I showed up.

The reason Chump is popular has little to do with licensing. I'm in one of the cheapest classes in NASA and I have $20k sitting on my car. You could build a Chumpcar for less than that and split it 4 ways with some buddies.

I probably should have clarified that I was talking about someone brand new to driving. You can't just show up to a NASA event and start comp school without some sort of previous experience. It clearly states In the CCR that you can transfer a license from other orgs.

No, you do not have to have a race car to participate in comp school, at least in the Texas region. You just won't get your comp license until you get a race car with a log book.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anybody else race WRL at TWS this weekend? We ended up deciding last night to run on Sunday. Ended up getting P1 in GP4.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I started using Speedhut gauges recently. Really impressed so far.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

If you are racing you will get absolutely smoked under braking on a street tire.

Toyo RR seem to be the budget rain tire of choice.

Wait what? Why would you use an RR as a rain tire? It has two grooves in it. The proper rain tire is the RA1. I've used both in the wet and I have no idea why you'd think it's a good idea to use the RR's in the rain

My experience with the RR is I get 6-8 heat cycles before they drop off. I tend to lose 1-2 seconds depending on the track, and I can get 20 or so
Heat cycles normally before I cord them. My car is 3190lbs with driver. Spec Miata folks have reported similar drop off and tire life.

If I was looking for a tire with good life and minimal drop off I'd be looking at the Maxxis RC1. The only reason I use the RR is because it's the spec tire for my series.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Everything I've heard from people who use the RR for their series is that the first few cycles are garbage, but it's rock solid from there on out until right before you start seeing cords peep through. No "magic lap" of Ho-Hos, just incredibly reliable. Outside of NASA having a deal with Toyo, I think it was a way to rein in costs because buying sticker Hoosiers every weekend for just a shot at the top 10 in the SM field is a massive barrier to entry.

The RA1 (and R888 and NT01 considering that they're all cut from the same cloth) is at least 10 years old at this point, and driving in the rain is less dependent on tread pattern as it is compound temperature range.

Hah. That is the experience that exactly no one I know has ever had. Between multiple series and cars. We saw less of a drop in times using shaved RA1's compared to the RR's, although the RA1s were slower overall. The front running Spec Miata guys here start using the RRs as practice tires after 6 heat cycles. I pretty much do the same.

So are you trying to say the RA1 is not a good rain tire?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

Is CMC a bunch of mediocre drivers in lovely cars in every region, or just mid-Atlantic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjahYa703U

As a CMC racer (not mid-Atlantic) I don't think it's any worse than any other class, although the amount of fuckups in that race is pretty impressive.

I have more problems with slow AI drivers.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Bah. There's still plenty of life left in those pads. This was one of our rear pads after COTA.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm really interested in getting into some rookie racing but I don't really know how to start. :shobon: I've read enough jalopnik articles about track days and rookie rally racers that I'm really getting the bug, but I need some more information.

It seems like most racing is reserved for Lewis Hamiltons that started karting at age 2 and are already signed to a sponsored team by the time they're 15 and live as a full-time racer.
I have a good career that I don't want to stop but man I'd really love to do some races here and there on the side as a hobby, not full time or anything. But I'm not sure how to start or even if that's possible?

There's a track near me (Austin, TX) that does time trials, so I may try to do that. And there's opportunities to rent supercars to drive on that course or at COTA, which is expensive but would be a pretty wild time.
But what about actual wheel-to-wheel racing and passing and stuff? I can totally get that you don't want random teenage yahoos coming in with no experience smashing people and ruining races. But so... how do you get started?

They have some programs at the track for 'learning racing' but I feel like I'd spend several hundred dollars just to have them teach me the basics and then that'd be that. I need something that's like a proper intro to competition. I'm willing to put in the hours and pay money and take lessons if that's what it takes, but I don't want to just spend money for lessons unless I know its actually building towards getting into races.

I'm not naive, I know I'm not anywhere remotely ready to just show up to the Pirelli challenge or something. But what else is there? It seems like there's a huge gap between karting and time trials and actual GT racing. Do I just have to do kart races first?

Even in kart racing, it seems like there's a huge gulf between "tiny restricted karts for kids on weekends" and "proper fast karts that cost tons of money and race each other".

Also looking to purchase some old car as a project / track car and kit it up, although that makes me question what races or leagues or anything I might potentially be qualified for in the future, and if so, I'd want to get a car or build a car that fits the regulations of whatever league. So I kinda want to get an early idea of where to go and what options I have before I start throwing down serious cash.

There's a rally course not too far outside Austin that seems to accept basically any car and doesn't require a roll cage, so I may just do time trials on that rally course and avoid actual racing. But it would be super awesome to get into some real races on a track someday.

E: Like if I kit up some Miata, are there rookie leagues I could race in? If I'm not qualified yet, what would I have to do to get qualified? X hours on a track? X hours with an instructor? What are the requirements and what kinda races should I be looking at?
I race with NASA TX and we have a race coming up at COTA May 5-6. It’s open to the public and free to get in and spectate. It will be a great chance to look at all the different cars and classes that are available. Drop me a PM if you want some more info.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you run with windows up unless you have a net.

I'm also looking to get a helmet, any good recommendations goons?

Winding Road Racing is in Austin. Swing by and go try on some helmets.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

mekilljoydammit posted:

Funny question, but I'm looking for more forums and crap for bullshitting about roadrace poo poo - I'm bored at work a lot lately. I'm on corner carvers and probably going to reg at RRAX, plus the prodracing forum... anything major I'm missing? I mean assume an SCCA bent as NASA is a nonentity here.

Wow never expected to see a goon reference corner carvers. It’s got a lot of good info but it’s mostly middle aged guys arguing about politics now. Very few actually drive anymore.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone going to NASA national championships at COTA?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've tried Carbotech, Hawk, G-Loc, PFC, and Cobalt, and my favorites have been PFC and Cobalt. I did not care for any of the Carbotech or Hawk pads I tried (at least on the front of the car). My favorites have been the PFC01/11 and the Cobalt XP1 or XP2 on the front. I'm currently using the XP1. I have a lot of laps at COTA and the PFC and Cobalts are the only ones that I haven't had issues with brake fade at the end of a race. I don't have ABS so YMMV.

Also use Castrol SRF brake fluid and you won't have to bleed the brakes for a year.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I’m not sure about other regions but in Texas both NASA and SCCA have seen a decline in race participation. It seems like WRL and other endurance orgs are the reason for that, at least around here.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

This is through a guy who runs a shop at my local track (MSR Cresson, in the DFW area). He does in car coaching, not data analysis, so he's cheaper than other pros out there. It's $100 a session for his time, and an additional $35 for the track fees. Depending on how busy the day is, sessions are a minimum of 30 mins, but could be an hour, if your car can go that long I suppose. An hour on track would get me pretty close to fuel starvation levels in some turns I think.

I should get at least 2 sessions in, up to 4. Again, just depends how busy the track is that day. Should be a blast though!

Who is it?
Edit: Nvmd just saw your post on another forum.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 7, 2019

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Nice, I've wondered what kind of crossover there is between here and there. I had figured there wasn't much since the other site is so small.

It’s one of the only car centric message boards I still go to. It’s nice because there are no politics and only a couple idiots. Most of the Houston crew hang out outside of the track as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I've had similar luck with a GoPro3. I always seem to miss the exciting offs because the camera decided to just shut off mid session. I impulse bought some knock off action cam on Amazon this weekend. It will do 4k@24, or 1080@60. I figure for $17 it's worth a shot until I want to pony up for a newer GoPro.

I got signed up for another HPDE in North Texas for the beginning of February. I like the HPDE groups around here, but I really need to look into TT or something so I can advance more.

Please don’t do SCCA TT. Have you been to a NASA event yet?